aberdeen-music

Lemon tree last night (10th)

bryn

I thought it was a great gig! I enjoyed playing. Had some technical problems such as strings breaking and a few other things but still enjoyed it. Apraxia were excellent. All three of them are great musicians. I really liked the first song they played. I've seen ClearTone a few times and thought last night was the best I'd seen them. Thanks to Paul for organising it all! Unfortunately I didn't see much of starfall. But it was a good night!

Guest highroller

ill be honest about this....

I really like bench ALOT in fact...ive seen em a few times and always enjoy...Tim is a great frontman...I do wish they would rock out more...they seem to build and build musically which they are awesome at but then they let you down a bit by not going for the jugular...still they are a great band....they use the effects etc to great err...hmmm...effect!!

Apraxia....Not my thing at all...i think they are pretty good at what they do and its good Aberdeen has a space for bands like them but found their set samey and a bit empty sounding....wont go out of my way to see em again but if they are on a bill that im at again i will watch again to see if they have gotten more "songs" as i felt they lacked any real "songs"....

Cleartone...Im sorry...please dont nail me for this but i thought that (i may be wrong ok?) that it lacked any emotion AT ALL!! It was just bland american influenced made for radio rock like nickelback, creed et al...and to be honest the best bits were the bits that sounded like 3rd rate Load era Metalica....They are pretty good at their respective instruments etc but this band have as much attitude and charisma as a wet paper bag...REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION!! And that guitar tone...jesus...its sounded like an electric sander put through a ten watt park amplifier....

Starfall...Wow what an improvement from the HJB's gig i last saw them at...now i like starfall...i make no secret of that...they struggle to be appreciated and you know why? Because they arent playing anything thats near "hip" at all...I think they have some great songs but also half the set to me is filler...once thats sorted then it will be sweet...the girl bassist adds some cool new dynamic to the band and she will grow in confidence...

enjoyed it though...was a great night with a very eclectic bill....

I thought ClearTone kicked ass, Bench and Apraxia were good too, I agree with some of what BenQuik said about Apraxia - they just ain't my type of music but I enjoyed what they did - loving the funky bass/guitar, it just isn't really my choice of listening.

Bench... yeah, they were good and that guy Tim sure can sing, I just don't like that bow - I was standing there thinking "dude, that can't be good for your strings" I dunno. I thought it sounded slightly like a mess for a little bit but ah well, it was good on the whole.

Starfall, I didn't stick around long enough to catch their whole set, I only got a little glimpse of what they do and uhhh, well, I don't really know what to say - I wouldn't listen to them intentionally but if they were there I wouldn't go out of my way to leave.

But CT were highly great! I don't think they were void of emotion at all, I mean - I was wowed by the way they fit together as a band - I thought they were the best act there. But that's just my (highly accurate and correct :) ) opinion.

And before anyone starts attacking me for saying my opinion is great I was being funny.

I listened to our mini disk back and your right the bow was sounding a little odd. I'm finding it hard to get the same sound I do in the studio as I do on stage. I'm in the middle of building an actual guitar/cello out of an old Pheonix. It was a shit guitar, a kinda fender copy. Th only problem I'm finding is sticking on a raised bridge. I'm hoping to fit it with a built in reverb and stick the fucker through a condenser. This all costs money so I'm off to sell my body on the street. Bids start at a quid!

ben dude. Its fair enuff what u said but why u rekon we dont put emotion in to the songs??? i feel we do. But i would like to know what u menat and how u feel it could be better! And was the tone of the guitars not to your personal liking or did u think it was generally shit?? any other comments anyone? I love playin our stuff! i'd like some more technical stuff in ther tho. maybe a little dream theatre. Sometimes i too fell the tone is strange. I've put it down to the fact that tom and paul have different tones and styles but we want to use this in future development to our advantage. We just need to work on it and create a balance and some kick ass riffs. I rekon u could see tons off different stuff come out of us as we develope and experiment. I'd like some really mellow songs almost like alot of pearl jam - ten. Or some queens of the stone age. At one point we had a song that was almost emo (it got scraped). Anyhoos all comments wanted and greatly appreciated.

Dont worry about it Tom, we will get our stuff together... We havent been around that long, so we have plenty of writing and experimenting to do!

Hehe...Aye Ingram... the emo thing wasn't for us! So that won't be coming back! Aye we really enjoyed it... I thought on a whole all the bands did well, very good entertainment.

I agree about the guitar sound by the way. Now... I've seen you guys before and your sound was beefy... but at the lemon tree your guitars at points sounded a bit like a wasp in a jam jar. I know listening back to our mini disk that my bow sound wasn't sounding too shit hot so it might have been down to the mixing or what have you.

As for emotion, you guys maybe feeling it yourselves on stage but you don't seem to express it with your movements and I think that's what people are trying to say. I personally don't give two shits. I love sigur ros and enjoy watching them do nothing on stage. But you guys maybe in danger of looking like a streophonics toe tapping band.

You know what I mean?

When a band just play thier guitars on stage and and do that thing where thay tap they're heels on the stage making their knees do this bobbing thing... and some people while doing that pucker their lips (see dandy warhols). As long as you guys don't go down that road its fine.

I was watching an old performance by Guns n Roses and it reminded me of you guys. You can tell they were having some fun on stage but weren't "rocking out" as it were. Just enjoying the experience. I think that's the Important part.

The thing is that our settings on our ampos were exactly the same as the settings were the last time you saw us Tim, thats why we are not sure of the source fot he problem. Onstage our sound was pretty much the same as always... im just wondering if it was the off stage mixing that was the problem... But there aint much we can do about it now... The sound was meant to be beefy...

Yeah I can see that... Strange thing about us is in practice we 'rock out' completely, specially me and wheeler (bassist - 'cleartonebass') and completely get into it, yet we all seem to go all conservative and 'toe tapping' when we have been on stage... Especially recently. I remeber a gig we played at kef in November, and we just let go... and loved every minute of it... yet we haven't done that at other gigs... I have a feeling that a few more gigs down the line we will come into our own..

Well Im not gonna go into this too far, we will play6 around with it...but these settings have been the same through our recordings and all our gigs, and have been effective... But soemthing wasn't right at the Tree... But anyway this thread should be about all the band in general, and so on... not just about cleartone!

Back to the point abou emotion. With the drumming i always feel like im letting go but sometimes i just don't show it enough. I always have this bland expression on my face and i totally dont mean to. Plus my snare was rattling like hell because it kept coming slowly undone, need to fix that asap. Final point, does neone know who adrian young is? J

Originally posted by Tim BENCH:

I agree Ben. These threads could so have easily turned into a trademark Aberdeen band Forum war with shitty comments made at each other... like "Yeah at least we aren't pig fuckers like your band!" and all that sorta shit.

Haha, I had a good hearty chuckle - I think you should write that insult down, it's quite good.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Paul_CT:

Strange thing about us is in practice we 'rock out' completely, specially me and wheeler (bassist - 'cleartonebass') and completely get into it, yet we all seem to go all conservative and 'toe tapping' when we have been on stage... Especially recently.

I think I know the answer:

........BEER! :cheers:

Of course, this solution does affect your playing, especially on a MicroKORG synth (those keys are too small in the first place).