aberdeen-music

aberdeen-music.com book club?

-matthEw-

when books become so popular they lose their appeal to me, the same with music and films, i don't like to think that a million other people are reading, listening or watching the same thing as me. and also the fact that by buying harry potter or the da vinci code it makes a disturbingly rich person even richer.

so does everyone who wants to take part one to suggest one book then? what restrictions should be on it? not too long? easily available online or in aberdeen shops? just fiction, or any kind of book?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i don't understand what you could have against other people sharing their views on a book, what is it about reading that's so inherently personal compared to watching films or listening to music? fair enough if you find reading a personal experience and don't want to share your thoughts, but if that's the case i'm not sure a book forum is the place for you.

It's all very well up to a point, but everyone takes something different from a book, that's the beauty of it. Recommending a good book is fine and dandy, which is why I started a thread asking what people were reading. However, there's a danger of turgid over-analysis creeping in, people trying to "out-intellectual" each other and it's the thought of that which turns me off the idea. A book-swap might be a better idea, I have plenty books lying around which I'll never read again. Maybe people could post up lists of books they have to swap or something?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Wouldn't want any of that on this site! No siree!

erm, I believe the proper term would be "out-intellectualise"

I just have this hideous mental picture of a bunch of yah's sitting around with mochas and lattes engaging in the intellectual equivalent of wanker biscuit.

I think a book swap is a good idea. As when you read it once, it becomes pretty much obsolete and useless to the reader, but it can be used as ammo to reload the book gun!!

What I would like, and this is just a personal preferance, is if anyone wants a book from the list back a page of my books, I will send them a book, but in return I would like a book to read.

As long as we have an honest select who are genuine on the Book Club idea, I really can't see the harm in sending a few books across town in return for a new read.

One book for everyone to read then comment on, is a tad, high School-ish in my opinion, as everyone has differant levels of reading and we will never get a time where everyone finishes it at the same time.. and if they don't finish at the same time as everyone else, they can easily come into the Book Club thread and read the ending to the book they haven't yet red.

But it's good to see the idea is making progress. I'm totally up for it as I never have the time to hit Waterstones or any other book shop.. I ussualy pick my books up from Asda :)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
What I would like, and this is just a personal preferance, is if anyone wants a book from the list back a page of my books, I will send them a book, but in return I would like a book to read.

Aye, this is more like it. Count me in for this.

i was just meaning it as a way of recommending books and, for me personally, an incentive to actually read them on a far more regular basis.

if people want to get pretensious over it they can, but that stuff goes way over my head anyway. a quick review maybe and reasons why you liked/disliked it would suffice for me.

as for format, i liked Chris' idea of everyone in it nominating a book and from the resulting short-list either a) voting for which one we'd like to read first, then doing the same from the same shortlist (minus the one we read first) until we've done them all. or b) simply just working our way through them from top to bottom, however they are ordered.

In the interests of kicking this off I'll start a nomination thread in a moment. Initially the list will be open for a couple of days then I'll close it off so we can get the poll going for what we want to start with. Once we're under way properly I'll re-open the list and we can just tack new suggestions on the end of the schedule or something.

I don't get why there seems to be an argument between a book swap and a book club.

Start a brand new thread for book swapping. And maybe participate in the book club as well? The world is your bloody oyster.

exactly. No reason why people can't do both if they want. Although there's an argument that a book swap thread should perhaps be in the classifieds section of the site.

right I've stickied the nomination thread and added the poll up.

Please do not add any more nominations!

12 books is a pretty good number for us to start off with. I haven't closed the thread 'cause I think that might prevent people from voting in the poll. But I will remove nominations posted after this point.

Go vote for the book you want to read first. The poll is open for one week only!

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39662