aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Nice one, a book forum. Just wondering what you're reading just now? I'm on Karl Marx's "Capital:Volume 1" just now for the second time, deeper than the mid-point of the Atlantic but well worth persevering with.

Last book I finished was "Steve Earle: The Life and Near Death of...". Excellent

Currently doing some lite reading of "Teaching as a Subversive Activity" (Neil Postman & Charles Weingartner).

Opens with:

"What did you learn in school today,

Dear little boy of mine?

What did you learn in school today,

Dear little boy of mine?

I learned that Washington never told a lie,

I learned that that soldiers seldom die,

I learned that everyone's free,

Thats what the teacher said to me

And thats what I learned in school today,

Thats what i learned in school" :devil:

currently reading "The Wayward Mind" by Guy Claxton.

It's a chronological history of how we think about the unconcious mind starting with Homer and working through ancient greece and the romans up to Freud etc.

Although very interesting, it's taking me fucking ages to read because I have a tendancy to get through a few pages and then lapse itno unconciousness myself (I read late at night just before going to sleep, always a risky prospect).

I've just finished Life of Pi by Yann Martel which is a story about a 16 year old Indian boy who is the sole surviver from a ship sinking and is stuck on a life boat with a zebra, hyena, orang-utan and a bengal tiger, but ultimately just him and the tiger.

Cant help having an image of Gareth from the office saying "Bloodbath"

Inspired by this thread (I haven't read a book in well over a year) I decided to pick up a book again last night. I've started to read "Different Seasons" by Stephen King. I've seen Shawshank on dvd, now time to read the book that it came from.

"The Body" (the film "Stand By Me") in that is a gid een

Guest Craig C

I'm currently half way through Dreamland Chronicles by David Darlington. This will be the 3rd time I've read it. It's basically a documentary-style read about him travelling through Nevada, researching Area 51. Interviewing all manner of weirdos, nut jobs etc etc who claim to "know things" haha.

EDIT: My above description didn't really do the book justice, but oh well :up: