aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

43 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

Our Band Could Be Your Life
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Band-Could-Your-Life/dp/0316787531/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493129024&sr=1-1&keywords=our+band+could+be+your+life

American Hardcore
https://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Hardcore-Steven-Blush-x/dp/1932595899/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1493129071&sr=1-1&keywords=american+hardcore

You probably won't be able to get one for a reasonable price anymore, but Henry Rollins' Get In The Van is great too. There might be an ebook/scan of it knocking about.

If you have even the slightest interest in NOFX, I'd highly recommend their recent book, Hepatitis Bathtub. Some pretty brutal tales about what the early LA punk scene was like, among other stuff. When you finish it, you'll be amazed that somehow they're not all dead.

For UK Punk, I've not ready any books about the more mainstream '77 stuff, but this is a good read about the 1980-84 Anarcho Punk scene:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Country-Died-History-1980-1984/dp/1604865164/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5XAAKCRHBX49RE7RG4ZT

Cheers. I've heard good things about Get In The Van but never been able to find a copy for a decent price. I'll have a look at getting the other ones you recommended. 

On 18/02/2016 at 11:55 AM, Lemonade said:

I'm currently reading "Emma" by Jane Austen. It's a big departure from my usual reading, I tend to read modern novels that I can race through, you can't really race through Jane Austen. There's a lot of old fashioned prose to pick through / enjoy and very slow paced plot, so I'm having to change my reading style and take my time over it, but it seems pretty good so far. 

On 03/03/2016 at 9:46 AM, Lemonade said:

Jane Austen update: fuck me this a sair chav. 

On 14/03/2016 at 0:01 AM, Lemonade said:

Jane Austen update: given up.

On 23/03/2016 at 9:49 AM, Lemonade said:

Yeah! Fuck Jane Austen!

Currently reading - "Pride & Prejudice" by Jane Austen. I will fucking defeat you Jane Austen! 

• Upvote 1

On 28/04/2017 at 10:14 AM, Jaaakkkeee said:

Has anyone read Rollins' travel books/journals?

I've read Black Coffee Blues. It's alright. Didn't make me want to buy the others, but not bad 

It's not particularly linear. It's just snippets of essays, or even just a line or two. A lot of it is nonsense.

• 2 months later...

Recent reads -

"Eric" - Terry Pratchett. Like most of Pratchett's stuff, I enjoyed the fuck out of this while reading it then a week later couldn't remember a thing about it. Srlsy. It's been like 2 months now and I can't even remember who Eric is. 

The Last Day Of Disco - David F Ross. A confused shit show of a book that can't decide if it's going to be funny or serious. Stock characters and a thin plot.

Rose Madder - Stephen King. Yes! 

Revival - Stephen King. YES! 

Under The Dome - Stephen King. YEEEESSSS! 

Actually still reading the last one. It's gargantuan. Trying to make this the year I finally 'complete' Stephen King. This is the 47th Stephen King book I've read. That's not bad going. 

On 2017-7-17 at 11:32 PM, Lemonade said:

Recent reads -

"Eric" - Terry Pratchett. Like most of Pratchett's stuff, I enjoyed the fuck out of this while reading it then a week later couldn't remember a thing about it. Srlsy. It's been like 2 months now and I can't even remember who Eric is. 

The Last Day Of Disco - David F Ross. A confused shit show of a book that can't decide if it's going to be funny or serious. Stock characters and a thin plot.

Rose Madder - Stephen King. Yes! 

Revival - Stephen King. YES! 

Under The Dome - Stephen King. YEEEESSSS! 

Actually still reading the last one. It's gargantuan. Trying to make this the year I finally 'complete' Stephen King. This is the 47th Stephen King book I've read. That's not bad going. 

Not many Stephen king books I don't like.. The only thing that  bugs me is that some of the books have been made into god awful movies with abysmal acting.. There are a few exceptions but most of the movies are rot

23 minutes ago, robkevertson said:

Not many Stephen king books I don't like.. The only thing that  bugs me is that some of the books have been made into god awful movies with abysmal acting.. There are a few exceptions but most of the movies are rot

The Dark Tower movie looks terrible, I didn't like the 22/11/63 series either, but I've got high hopes for IT. There's a new series coming out soon too called Castle Rock, which is going to have a whole load of his characters in it, a sort of Gotham City of Stephen King (although I'm not sure how much he has to do with the writing, if anything). Mr Mercedes is getting its own series soon too. Not sure how they're going to make a whole series out of that one book. Brendan Gleeson is playing Bill Hodges though. 

Edited by Lemonade

• 1 month later...

Still on my Stephen King run, reading the first Dark Tower book again, "The Gunslinger". Not getting down on it at all. I struggle with fantasy a lot of the time, but unusually for Stephen King the story and especially the language just aren't grabbing me. It feels like a young writer trying too hard, "I know aaaaaall the adjectives and I'm gonna use em". Tough read. Hope they get better because I have another 7 DT books to go. I first started trying to read the series in 2001 and I've never got further than the first book. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

I'm about two thirds of the way through "Ready Player One", by Ernest Cline.

It's as if it was written by a credit level English student who's been getting ideas from a foundation level English student. Still a pretty entertaining read, though.

It's definitely YA fiction. Loved it though. Read it in about 3 sittings. Not many books do that to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Damon Hill's autobiography. Not at all what I was expecting. Talks openly about his struggles with depression, dealing with losing his father at a young age, the psychological effect it had on him etc. The motorsport stuff is actually sort of rushed. 

Now reading "The Garden Of Eden" by Ernest Hemingway. It's... weird. 

7 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

You read much other Hemingway?

He's provided me with some respite from sci-fact/sci-fi once or twice. Never Garden of Eden though.

The al' manny and the sea is a pure fucking must.

Not much, I've only read The Old Man And The Sea. Great book. I had For Whom The Bell Tolls on my bookshelf for years but never opened it and it went to the charity shop. I'm going to read a few more tho. This one is about a newly married couple who are on their honeymoon, she seems to be transgender and they both fall in love with the same woman. 

Hemingway ands a lot. It's a little distracting to begin with. The sea was green and the grass was warm and they sat on the blanket and she poured him a glass of wine and the wine was cool and tasted nutty and he thanked her and they touched glasses and she drank hers in one swallow. 

That was me not actually Hemingway if you couldn't tell.