aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Just finished Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton.  What a slog.  Is it too much to ask for some sci-fi that's actually readable?  Too many characters, too many made up words (admittedly sci-fi is always going to struggle a bit for this but this is ridiculous) and too many pages.  Probably won't bother with the rest of the trilogy.

Currently reading On Writing by Stephen King. It's great. Part biography and part tutorial it's basically King giving his thoughts on the technical aspects of writing along with the context of his own career development and personal history.  Really making me want to get back into his books as well.

I just finished 'Girl In A Band' by Kim Gordon. Oh, boy, is it a bitter 273 pages. On the whole, it was enjoyable, and there are some great stories about her time with Sonic Youth and when she first moved to New York (especially good is the one about when she gave Johnny Thunders into trouble and he retaliated by calling her "four eyes" - Yeah! You tell that nerd, Johnny!) but it's mainly a way of calling Thurston and the woman he cheated with assholes publicly. Which is fair enough, I guess, I've never had a marriage of 30 years be ended by an affair so I probably can't comment, but it didn't seem worth it and it just made me sad. Oh, and such namedropping. Lots of names.
The way it is written is pretty odd, too. Almost as if there was no sub-editor or something as there's a lot of repetition. She talks about constantly being asked the question "what's it like to be a rock'n'roll mom?" three times and at every mention of it, it's as if she has just brought it up for the first time. Really bizarre.

Right at the end of my re reads of the Harry Potter series.  I'm getting the sads all over again that this is the last book in that universe.

I'd love to read books based on Aurors or Bill Weasley's job as a curse breaker for Gringotts.  So much more it would be great to read about that wizarding world.  I don't even really want another Harry Potter story just more from the same world with new characters.

• Upvote 2

I've put away "Turning My Back On The Premier League" by Lee Price and "The Commitments" by Roddy Doyle this week. I've taken a break halfway through "John Dies At The End" so might try and polish that off, then I've got Harry Potter 7 to start. I've got the rest of the Roddy Doyle Barrytown Trilogy lined up, and I still haven't started Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. I spent a lot of yesterday on the Kindle store adding stuff to my wishlist.

Edited by Lemon Raspberry
  • Upvote 1

I'm currently reading Cloud Howe by Lewis Grassic Gibbon which is the follow up to Sunset Song and the second of the Scots Quair. It is absolutely superb and some of the banter and especially put downs are proper lol funny! Powerful stuff too, about the changing shape of Scotland between the wars and the class struggles and stuff, so well worth a look.

Burned through the latest Stuart MacBride book - The Missing and The Dead last week.  I can't kid myself that they're particularly well written books.  The characterisation is often over the top and the plot clunks through some awkward gear changes. But they're enjoyable and entertaining. Nice change for this one to be set in Banff so his readers got to see an expanded palette of the NE setting.

I like the MacBride books, they're pulp but they're enjoyable pulp. Good point on the characterisation. I've always thought some of the supporting characters were a bit stock or overly comedic. I think I've only read four of them though.

Edited by Lemon Raspberry

I'm starting to see Spoonie's point on the Kindle love, I got one for Christmas and I'd say I've read more books this year so far than I did in the last two years combined. Totally changed reading for me. Especially handy having the Kindle app on my tablet, then I've got my Spotify open on there as well so I can play music from the same device. Plus I can use that when reading books that might have photos in them, and I can use it to browse the Kindle store, AND when you switch between devices it remembers where you were in the book. So handy!

• Upvote 1

I like the MacBride books, they're pulp but they're enjoyable pulp. Good point on the characterisation. I've always thought some of the supporting characters were a bit stock or overly comedic. I think I've only read four of them though.

You should get the new one, lots of Broch mentions in it.

I don't think Stuart himself would make any great claims for the literary merit of his books.  I might have come across a bit negative but I've read all his books so far and thought they've all been great fun, just a bit flawed in places.

Echo everything Chris has to say about MacBride, it's a comfortable read more than anything else I think. Can't work out if it's the local connection that makes it worthwhile for me or whether I'd hold the same interest if it was set in Manchester or whatever.

Same take on Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" series, not groundbreaking stuff but an easy and engaging read - that's without the local connection, so maybe I just answered my own question.

I've put away "Turning My Back On The Premier League" by Lee Price

Read this one too, and really enjoyed it. A bit repetitive at times, but really interesting.

If you liked that and want a laugh, read Pointless by Jeff Connor which I read a few years back and it had me in bits!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pointless-Jeff-Connor/dp/0755313534/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427375734&sr=1-1&keywords=pointless

• Upvote 1

Just finished the first Song of Ice and Fire.  It's pretty good so far but George RR Martin is not really a very good writer.

I feel like the whole story would be easier to read if he had just written down all the ideas and then had someone else write it.

The hardest part is the million names you need to remember.  Old Bill brother of Ben who married Tim's sister at x place and now he's lord or blah blah.  Then like three hundred pages later it's just oh here's Ben and just straight on.  WHO THE FUCK IS BEN.

The worst was the Dothraki's.  Trying to remember which of them was a bloodrider and who was part of Danny's Khas and 

when they started to throw down it was hard to keep up with who was who and who was fighting who.

Still you can feel it's all building up so I'm looking forward to book two.

I find a lot of male fantasy writers are like this, apologies for the sweeping generalisation - I've given up on a lot of books because of it, I lose interest far too quickly.  Teenage fiction seems to be better because it's not so long winded but there's a good story at the heart of it.

I like Trudi Canavan as she seems to be more "to the point", and stories don't drag on.