aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Geektastically, all of that Song of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones: The Books, all in the space of a month. More ace than anything bearing the 'F' tag ever could be, Lord of the Dirty Machiavellian Feudal Dragon Lords, yeah, I'm well late to that party, but at least that cuts down my wait for the next batch. Hurry up ye old bass etc...

You'll be waiting a good long time, i think there was about 10 years between the last two :/

Apparently he had done most of the last one, then had to massively rewrite as he had continuity errors within his own mythos. He must have some kind of outsourcing of all that crap now. At least there is S2 of the telly version, as previously red-plate guys now have a rich backstory. Also, Lord Frey looks like Stemroach from Ideal, and Kenny fae The Book Group as the Hound is also well ace.

For some reason I've always been inexplicably opposed to Martin Amis, but a copy of London Fields found itself in my bookcase, so I started reading it. It's okay, quite intriguing at points, quite unnecessarily wordy at others.

Also reading Robert McKee's 'Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwriting'. It's good to pretend that I'll one day get my arse in gear and write something.

London Fields is mainly ace, although I never buy into the central conceit of whatsername, Keith Talent is one of the best written characters in Eng Lit. The bit where he ponders hiding under the bed, to avoid a beating that his partner might recieve instead, but he doesn't because; "There's 5 years worth of darts magazines under there" (sic), classic.

Money is better though.

finished FALILV. the ending was such an anti climax. Obviously it's mean to be all gonzo journalism and so it wouldn't have massive twists and turns at the end, but still, jesus, it was just like "wait, so, is that it?" i can't even remember what even happens. Everything up until that last chapter was pure brilliance though.

Have you read it before? It's pretty damn amazing like.

I haven't. I've seen the film though, which is actually spoiling it for me a bit because I'm not picturing the scenes, characters etc from my own imaginiation. I'm just picturing characters from the film. Plus a lot of the very dry humour which I normally enjoy was used in the film so it's kinda spoiled it for me.

I haven't. I've seen the film though, which is actually spoiling it for me a bit because I'm not picturing the scenes, characters etc from my own imaginiation. I'm just picturing characters from the film. Plus a lot of the very dry humour which I normally enjoy was used in the film so it's kinda spoiled it for me.

I still managed to enjoy it a lot, and a lot more than the film. I need to rebuy and re-read it. It's been a few years since I read it.

Making my way through 'The Big Nowhere' and 'Game Of Thrones'. Both excellent reads. I'd not been convinced I'd care very much for Thrones but it's awesome. Hugely readable. As all books about medieval politics, blood and guts and fucking your siblings should be.

Had gone into The Big Nowhere hoping for something of an easing off of the grotesque brutality of Black Dahlia but this was not to be. While lots of it centers around wheedling out the communist element of 50's Hollywood, it also involves skull fucking. Splendid.

I couldn't get into Jonathan Strange, I read 1/3 of it and put it down and never picked it back up again.

To be honest I saw it mentioned in an Earth interview in The Wire and then happened across it in a charity shop, brand new copy for like 3 quid. I'm only about 150 pages in and not convinced I will finish it but I'm going to give it a while yet...

Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football. It documents the underachievement of the national side, despite the dazzling individuals, their excellent academy resources and total football philosophy.

I'm on a football book kick at the moment. I've got 'Futebol: The Brazillian Way of Life' to read next, and also 'Up Pohnpei!' which has been described as the Cool Runnings of football. Sounds ace. If anyone has any good books on Italian football that cover the scandals and controversy, recommend away. Or any good stories of batshit mental hooligans. I love a good hooligan story.

Now reading Kazuo Ishiguro's "When we were orphans". Not a lot happening so far but his writing is beautiful and flowing. Books are great.

Well that was a struggle as it turned out. The actual culmination of the story and the revelation of the mystery was decent but on the whole it was frustrating, boring, stupid and...erm, pish. One of those books you just can't pick up!

Now on Star Island by Carl Hiassen. I always like his stuff, he's a good guy.

Reading an enormous book about the history of "Saturday Night Live" called 'Live from New York'. Fascinating read and I'd recommend it to anyone who is into comedy. I've really gotten into SNL recently. It's a weird show because a lot of the sketches they kinda know are hit and miss but that's part of the appeal.

Reading an enormous book about the history of "Saturday Night Live" called 'Live from New York'. Fascinating read and I'd recommend it to anyone who is into comedy. I've really gotten into SNL recently. It's a weird show because a lot of the sketches they kinda know are hit and miss but that's part of the appeal.

This sounds good. Lorne Michaels is a god.

Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football. It documents the underachievement of the national side, despite the dazzling individuals, their excellent academy resources and total football philosophy.

I'm on a football book kick at the moment. I've got 'Futebol: The Brazillian Way of Life' to read next, and also 'Up Pohnpei!' which has been described as the Cool Runnings of football. Sounds ace. If anyone has any good books on Italian football that cover the scandals and controversy, recommend away. Or any good stories of batshit mental hooligans. I love a good hooligan story.

'Calcio' by John Foot is the main book on the history of Italian football that we sell. There's also 'Forza Italia: The Fall and Rise of Italian Football' by Paddy Agnew. Those would probably be good starting points. Also if you haven't read 'Morbo: The Story of Spanish Football' by Phil Ball then you should because it's brilliant.

I'd recommend Forza Italia. It's a really good read.

Morbo is really excellent in parts but there are some chapters that I didn't enjoy nearly as much.

I've recently re-read Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut which I think I now rate more highly among his novels. Really enjoyed it. I also really enjoyed Call of the Weird by Louis Theroux. It's about him going around the US and revisiting people he met when making his documentaries. It was just as engaging as his TV shows. I'd definitely recommend it.

Currently reading The Sun Also Rises by Hemmingway which I'm about half way through and like a lot so far.

• Upvote 1