aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

It's also on my massive 'to read' list.

Currently reading Stephen Chbosky's 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' and enjoying it. I don't quite know what to make of it yet since I'm only halfway through but I'm firing through it when I do pick it up. The style is quite interesting since the story is told through letters written by the main character Charlie in a way that's very easy to read.

It's also on my massive 'to read' list.

Currently reading Stephen Chbosky's 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' and enjoying it. I don't quite know what to make of it yet since I'm only halfway through but I'm firing through it when I do pick it up. The style is quite interesting since the story is told through letters written by the main character Charlie in a way that's very easy to read.

That's on my list too. Started reading it at work on a particularly slow evening once but haven't got round to buying it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

After Grapes of Wrath I fancied something easy going so read Joseph Finder's No Hiding Place. "Corporate Thriller" page turner. The thing I find with most page turners of this nature is that they always have a disappointing ending. I called the twist half way through and rode it out to the end with mild interest. Still, I keep going back to books like this so I must enjoy them in some way.

In sticking with my respectable-shite-respectable pattern I'm now reading Richard Dawkin's The Greatest Show on Earth. A recent book of his which explains, in Layman's terms, the evidence for evolution. Not that far in but I really enjoy his style and can tell I'm going to get absorbed into this one.

Attempting to read all of Jon Ronson's books before seeing him at the Book Festival in Edinburgh at the end of the month. Have read Clubbed Class and am halfway through 'Them', so I've still four more (I think) to go, but he's so easy to read. Great writer.

I read 'The Men Who Stare At Goats' and thought it was mince. :(

Recently finished 'Love In The Time of Cholera' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Pretty good.

Currently re-reading 'Moby Dick'. Great stuff.

Finished 'Things The Granchildren Should Know'. What a lovely/sad book. Just made me want to listen to Eels and accomplish all of my goals, which I'd say make it pretty good.

For my next read I want one from a female and one from a male (as to not look like an angry feminist, obvz). Can't decide between: Graham Greene 'Our Man in Havana', Kurt Vonnegut 'Timequake', Richard Yates 'Easter Parade', Virignia Woolf 'Mrs Dalloway' or Ali Smith 'The Whole Story and Other Stories'.

Suggestions?

Now onto 'The Redeemer' by Jo Nesbo. I love these books. I'm not usually one for crime type stuff but these are really enjoyable.

I read 'Nemesis' whilst on holiday. It was great, I need to get some of his other's and get back to Harry Hole's adventures!

Read another three books whilst I was away.

'Alone In Berlin' by Hans Fallada. It's a true story of a German couple who wrote postcards denouncing Hilter and the rest of the Nazis. Wonderful book.

'One Day' by David Nicolls and found it incredibly emotional. The tale of 2 people who met at their final day of university and their friendship over the next 20 years. Cried whilst sitting beside the swimming pool! Glad I had my sunglasses.

And a re-read of 'The Tesseract' by Alex Garland which was as good as the first time I read it.

Recommendations required please.

Finished 'Things The Granchildren Should Know'. What a lovely/sad book. Just made me want to listen to Eels and accomplish all of my goals, which I'd say make it pretty good.

For my next read I want one from a female and one from a male (as to not look like an angry feminist, obvz). Can't decide between: Graham Greene 'Our Man in Havana', Kurt Vonnegut 'Timequake', Richard Yates 'Easter Parade', Virignia Woolf 'Mrs Dalloway' or Ali Smith 'The Whole Story and Other Stories'.

Suggestions?

Timequake is probably Vonnegut's weakest imo but if you're a big fan you'll get something out of it.

Our man in Havana is very good.

I read 'Nemesis' whilst on holiday. It was great, I need to get some of his other's and get back to Harry Hole's adventures!

Have you read 'The Redbreast' already? Although the separate storylines kind of stand up in their own right, there are narrative threads which run through the books which makes it better to read in sequencealthough annoyingly there are 2 books not released in the UK which precede all the available ones.

'Mrs Dalloway' is one of my favourite books of all time ever. It's also probably the most accessible novel Woolf ever wrote. If you read that and enjoy it then read 'Orlando' because it's also fucking brilliant.

Ali Smith is another favourite. So I can't choose between them. At gunpoint, I'd go with Woolf though.

Have you read 'The Redbreast' already? Although the separate storylines kind of stand up in their own right, there are narrative threads which run through the books which makes it better to read in sequencealthough annoyingly there are 2 books not released in the UK which precede all the available ones.

I haven't read any other the others. I think I got this on some kind of offer with another book. I got the impression whilst reading it that there was something before it so I'm going to start from the beginning. :)

And a re-read of 'The Tesseract' by Alex Garland which was as good as the first time I read it.

Recommendations required please.

I read The Tesseract and thought it was reasonably good. It got totally slated at the time if I remember correctly. You might be the first re-reader of that!

Recommendations:

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

East of Eden - John Steinbeck

The Given Day - Dennis Lehane

I read 'The Men Who Stare At Goats' and thought it was mince. :( .

I thought it was a bit of a slow starter, but I eventually got into it. The chapters on the LSD suicides were pretty interesting. I preferred 'Them', though.

Just about to start Ronson's 'Out of the Ordinary', then it'll be 'What I Do' and 'the Psychopath Test' hopefully before the 24th! Good job I have a lot of train journeys between now and then, so maybe I'll manage...

I read The Tesseract and thought it was reasonably good. It got totally slated at the time if I remember correctly. You might be the first re-reader of that!

Recommendations:

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

East of Eden - John Steinbeck

The Given Day - Dennis Lehane

To be honest it was my friend who borrowed it, but I'd finished all my other books so had to read something!

I'll check out those recommendations you've posted. :-)

I've had Choke by Chuck Palahniuk in my bag for weeks now, I never have the motivation to get a book started but when I do I don't put em down till I'm finished.* Can someone tell me something good about this book that will make me wanna read it.

*Unless the book is slow moving. I still haven't finished all of the Dan Brown ones I start.

I'm reading a very stupid book called something like:

The Tom Hanks Enigma

It's about Tom Hanks, but I havent actually started reading it yet, so I was 100% lying when I said I was reading it.

It's beside my bed atop the 'books to read' pile, though.