aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Just recently finished "A Big Boy did it and Ran Away" and really liked it. The way it was written was very enjoyable and the plot, although daft, was pretty cool. My sister has all of his books, so just wondered what order you'd suggest reading them in?

Are they all completely different character/stories or do they link with each other etc?

I'd say read them in chronological order from when they were released.

There are a lot of recurring characters and a lot of references to things from past stories cropping up here and there, so it's nice to follow the stories as they go. There are also a couple that are completely standalone and not related to any others.

It's not necessary to read them in order but it's how I'd suggest it.

xx

Read the first book in 'The Hunger Games' trilogy by Suzanne Collins. People keep banging on about them so I figured I'd give them a read before the films came out next year. It was pretty great for a book aimed at teenagers. Really fucking dark in places, well written and the characters are a LOT more rounded out than anything you'll find in that Twilight shite. 1984 meets Battle Royale..

I bought these cheap as chips in Asda the other week, yet to start them though.

I loved her in the film. Loved her. As discussed on twitter, I think I just really like girls who are total bitches.

She's a lot sweeter. Still the same girl. But I think the film cut out her sweetness. Also,

there's a lot more about knives. in particular, her dad. and a lot more a bout the ginger drummer.

So funny.

Anyone read the Walking Dead comics? I've just finished number 5. That governor. What a bastard. And grimey's only gone and

got his hand chopped off by him. LOL

. I'm limiting myself to two a month. So I've got 20 days till I can buy the next one. Might resume with Death Note. But I can't even remember where I was in them. so confusing. Bloody backwards reading manga.

Also I'm halfway through Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk. Decent read.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished 'Christie Malry's Own Double Entry' by B.S.Johnson, a po-mo classic, whereby the titular protagonist becomes an accountant, and decides to start keeping records of how the world has debited his account, and how he will make restitution. So, a sociopath, then. I liked it, the deliberately intrusive po-mo stylee was fun, characters referring to 'the novel' etc.

Hmmm jury's out on this one. Well written and interesting but the main character became immensely irritating and nothing happened.

I loved 'The Catcher in the Rye' when I had to cover it at school but when I bought a copy years later to revisit I absolutely hated it. I guess an alternative to the usual staid school subject matter with an anti-establishment character seemed appealing to my fuck-wit teen brain but as you say, he just comes over as annoying in retrospect. Probably much like my teen-self. Or current self. Probably.

I loved 'The Catcher in the Rye' when I had to cover it at school but when I bought a copy years later to revisit I absolutely hated it. I guess an alternative to the usual staid school subject matter with an anti-establishment character seemed appealing to my fuck-wit teen brain but as you say, he just comes over as annoying in retrospect. Probably much like my teen-self. Or current self. Probably.

I read it when I was about 23 and really related to and enjoyed it (perhaps I was a late bloomer). Flicked through it more recently and read the odd chapter and didnt like it so much.

Currently on The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. I havent read it before despite really enjoying a few of his others. I can see why this is considered his best. Enjoying every word.

I have a stack of books I need to get through. Easily 20 or so books i've accumulated while getting through other books. I'm just busy so it takes me forever to finish a book.

Just finished reading Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions which is quite frankly insane. Totally absorbing, surreal, darkly humorous and made me rethink the possibilities of a narrative voice. Hints of autobiographical information too which are really interesting/deeply personal and touching.

Now reading Margaret Atwood's "The HandMaids tale". Incredible so far. Very sinister.

I love The Catcher in the Rye. Only read it for the first time a couple of years ago, but Salinger is the man. I don't suppose Caulfield is meant to be a particularly heroic protagonist. He's an anti-hero of sorts.

You should go out and kill a popular artist now.