aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Started reading Evelyn Waugh's 'Scoop' at last the other week having read and loved 'A Handful of Dust', 'Brideshead Revisited' and 'Vile Bodies', but I've just not really been in the mood for it recently. Today during my lunch hour at work I started reading Chuck Palahniuk's 'Survivor' on the recommendation of my friend Neil. It's pretty interesting so far. Palahniuk is very strange. I've only read 'Fight Club' of his before.

Finally getting around to reading Lord of the Rings.

A lot of friends have slated the books, common complaint is that while The Hobbit was a pretty easy read and was fairly quickly paced, the Fellowship et al were much slower paced and overly verbose making them much harder to get into.

I've found this to be utter cock, I've slapped my friends who told me this and think the writing style is spectacular. It can be very verbose and seem to spend longer than you'd expect describing seemingly insignificant details but IMO that makes it even easier to lose yourself in. In parts it reads like a really long poem. Brilliant.

xx

Finally getting around to reading Lord of the Rings.

A lot of friends have slated the books, common complaint is that while The Hobbit was a pretty easy read and was fairly quickly paced, the Fellowship et al were much slower paced and overly verbose making them much harder to get into.

I've found this to be utter cock, I've slapped my friends who told me this and think the writing style is spectacular. It can be very verbose and seem to spend longer than you'd expect describing seemingly insignificant details but IMO that makes it even easier to lose yourself in. In parts it reads like a really long poem. Brilliant.

xx

I read a collected edition, I found the first 100 pages or so a chore to get through but then I couldn't put it down.

I'm now reading 'The Devil's Star' by Jo Nesbo, really liking these books.

I read a collected edition, I found the first 100 pages or so a chore to get through but then I couldn't put it down.

I'm now reading 'The Devil's Star' by Jo Nesbo, really liking these books.

I read about 10 pages and shoved it under the bed. Saying that I was about 12, trying to read this after seeing the films.

Just about to start "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" after having it recommended to me by 3 people in the space of a week. Must stop reading comics and get stuck into this book....

What comics you reading?

I'm on the Fantastic 4 Civil War one at the moment. Then getting in to Nemesis.

What comics you reading?

I'm on the Fantastic 4 Civil War one at the moment. Then getting in to Nemesis.

Working on the Captain America Hail Hydra and Man Out Of Time series, just starting the new Hulk (Red Hulk!) series and the new Silver Surfer series, and re-reading all the Lenores so I can get started on volume 2. And just a bunch of various randoms / one-shots that I picked up that looked interesting, and a few Spidey graphic novels I picked up on the cheap. I'm going to get started on Fantastic 4 at some point because I like them, just kinda waiting for a .1 or something as a starting point rather than coming in halway through a story and not knowing what's going on. I heard

one of them died and was replaced by Spiderman?

:popcorn:

Working on the Captain America Hail Hydra and Man Out Of Time series, just starting the new Hulk (Red Hulk!) series and the new Silver Surfer series, and re-reading all the Lenores so I can get started on volume 2. And just a bunch of various randoms / one-shots that I picked up that looked interesting, and a few Spidey graphic novels I picked up on the cheap. I'm going to get started on Fantastic 4 at some point because I like them, just kinda waiting for a .1 or something as a starting point rather than coming in halway through a story and not knowing what's going on. I heard

one of them died and was replaced by Spiderman?

:popcorn:

I can't remember if that spoiler is true.. Some shit definitely goes down in Civil War but it's been a while since I read the original. I'm working my way through the ones that tie in with it and stuff.

Been re-reading Slaughterhouse 5, read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe which was fucking brilliant. I seriously recommend it to anyone, very easy to read about this wrestler in Africa who used to be head of a tribe (sorta) and his life falls around about him, partly thanks to the British colonialisation of lower Niger. Sounds dense but it ain't, a ten year old could read and enjoy it, brilliantly written.

Also read another african book, Sozaboy by Ken Adu-Safo. Written in a made up sort of english/african dialect that the author called "Rotten English" it's much fucking harder to read but also enjoyable, if you can stand having to work out what every second sentence means.

• 2 weeks later...