aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Oh dear. My better half had to study Moby Dick as part of an English degree and I never heard the end of how bad it was.

You'll be reading a lot of descriptions of whales apparently.

Have you read 20000 Leagues Under The Sea? Entire chapters dedicated to scientific classification of various sea life and plants. Theres a good story hidden in amongst all the waffle, but it's a yawnfest. Got bored halfway thru, didnt finish it.

I've just started If You Liked School, You'll Love Work. Some pretty funny stories but I'm finding as Welsh writes and writes he gets worse and worse. It's not bad, in fact it's pretty fucking good. But it's definitely a step down from his earlier works.

I'm moving on to the works of Chuck Palahnuik after I've done Reheated Cabbage and the plays Irvine Welsh wrote.

Decided I couldn't be arsed with 'Moby Dick' right now.

Started on 'The Snowman' by Jo Nesbo, which I picked up cheap in Asda and could tell within a few pages I was going to enjoy. Then I happened to get into a discussion about it with a guy at work who informed me that his previous books have a thread running through them that means it is better to read them in order. So I went to Waterstones and got the others in a 3 for 2 deal. So I am now reading 'The Redbreast' by Jo Nesbo, which is good thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfway through 'The Forever War' by Joe Haldeman, 3 from Fopp, SF masterworks series, ace Vietnam metaphor, in space. Relativistic time slip means that soldiers serving 2 years can arrive back 10, 20, 50 or more years by Earth time, depending on where they went, thus alienating the warriors from the culture they are serving. Affa good.

Just read "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller. Always wary of reading plays but I think, with Millers directions and commentary added in, there's a whole other side to the story. Basically about the Salem witch trials and is true for all intents and purposes.

Lots of interesting parallels to be drawn with the McCarthy trials that were being conducted around the time this was written, which themselves affected Miller directly. Worth looking into!

Just read "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller. Always wary of reading plays but I think, with Millers directions and commentary added in, there's a whole other side to the story. Basically about the Salem witch trials and is true for all intents and purposes.

Lots of interesting parallels to be drawn with the McCarthy trials that were being conducted around the time this was written, which themselves affected Miller directly. Worth looking into!

I was in a school production of that when i was at school. I played Deputy Governor Danforth.

I was in a school production of that when i was at school. I played Deputy Governor Danforth.

It's all about John Proctor. Fuck Danforth. Mind you, least you aren't Parris or Hathorne. Or Abigail. In fact, Proctor is the only good character. Maybe Rebecca too.

The (1996) film version isn't terrible either, certainly worth a watch. It has Daniel Day-Lewis and Wynona Ryder in it.

Oh aye? I'll have to check it out. Is Day-Lewis Proctor? I had no idea this movie existed but that's who I pictured him as, bizarrely!

Seeing as we're on the book thread, anyone read Daniel Day-Lewis' dads poetry? Remember coming across it a while back but forgot the guys name.

Guest Bob Double Jack

just finished Dear Boy, the Keith Moon biography.

Worth a read, first couple of chapters slow, but not a book to read if you want a laugh at moon's explolts. quite a sad tale of a very talented man's early death due to untreated personality disorders mixed with drink drugs and ultimately poor medical advice. A troubled man from late adolesence to his death.

Candide is such a wonderful book.

Never read Don Quixote and like you I've heard varying reports from other people as to whether it is fantastic or turgid.

Candide is indeed funny... if a little tragic as I recall.

Don Quixote is awful. It's like watching a bad comedian, you know it's supposed to be funny but you just cringe.