aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

******************MILD STIEG LARRSON SPOILERS********

I started/finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest yesterday evening/wee hours of the morning. I thought it should have ended a wee bitty sooner than it did as anything after the warehouse confrontation sort of weakened the sense of finality. All in all though a cracking end to the trilogy, although I still think the second book is the strongest of the three.

I've just bought 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' but I'm saving it for when I go offshore over Christmas / New Year.

That should make my trip even more miserable!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now reading World Without End by Ken Follett. Don't you love it when someone gives you a book to read and it's 1,200 odd pages!?

Zipping through it already - medieval England tale of adventure, friendship and change...see ya in a month.

A month and a half as it turned out. Really enjoyed it but affa long. Sparked my interest in all things medeival, particularly the effects of the black death. That shit puts swine flu into perspective.

Now reading Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon. I am devouring it. The man is a fucking genius and should not be allowed to die. Attention to detail is incredible and it is so easily read.

The only bad thing about it is that it makes your life seem shit. I'm just sitting at my desk answering phonecalls like "I can't log into your website, can you help?" and I'm like "What the fuck?! a 14 year old girl has been murdered, the the commisioner is cutting out the chain of command and chewing my ass cos this motherfucker is a red ball which ain't goin down because I don't have a motherfucking crime scene! You want me to help your sorry ass log into a fucking website?!".

"Slow Learner" by Thomas Pynchon. This guy blows my feeble mind.

Have you read anything else by him? I got Gravity's Rainbow about 7/8 months ago and that is pretty much how I felt as well, so after I finished that I got V., The Crying of Lot 49 and I'm now 200-odd pages through Against the Day. Far and away the best author I've ever read, he is truly astounding!

Finished a book called "Snow Crash" a while back. Classic sci-fi / cyberpunk book by Neal Stephenson. Fantastically written with the exception of a shitty love scene, and it's a great story that keeps you reading. Apparently the first book to use the term 'avatar', went on to inspire stuff from the game second life to the matrix. Couldn't recommend this enough to sci-fi readers.

Snow Crash - Wiki

Also read Jeff Noon's "Needle in the Groove" a month or so ago. Pretty good, all about story about a band that form in Manchester and discover a new method of recording and mixing. Lots of local music history, pretty original story too. Zipped through it. A decent read.

Needle in the Groove - Wiki

Have you read anything else by him? I got Gravity's Rainbow about 7/8 months ago and that is pretty much how I felt as well, so after I finished that I got V., The Crying of Lot 49 and I'm now 200-odd pages through Against the Day. Far and away the best author I've ever read, he is truly astounding!

Against The Day is crap, but apart from that he's completely amazing. I wrote my dissertation on him last year.

wow a few readers here ... my last few books ..

On the Road - J. Keroauc

The electric kool-aid acid test - T. Wolfe

Yoga for people who cant be bothered to do it - G. Dyer

Catch 22 - J. Heller

One flew over the Cukoo's nest - K. Kesey

[Note the familiar pattern of Kesey/cassady-itis :)]

Against The Day is crap, but apart from that he's completely amazing. I wrote my dissertation on him last year.

It's been my favourite one of his so far I think! About 350 pages in, and I'm really, really enjoying it. Perhaps it's because it's been the easiest one to get my head around, ha. Which one of his books did you write your dissertation on, just out of interest?

Yeah, I got V for Christmas and worked my way through it between New Year and the start of exams. Just picked up Gravity's Rainbow and plan on getting to that as soon as my exams are finished on Thursday. He's superb. A bit of a struggle to get into at first, perhaps, but I really loved V as soon as I got used to his writing style. Definitely on his way to becoming one of my favourites, I reckon.

Working my way through some Allen Ginsberg poems to break-up the monotony of revision textbooks. What a guy.

Finished a book called "Snow Crash" a while back. Classic sci-fi / cyberpunk book by Neal Stephenson. Fantastically written with the exception of a shitty love scene, and it's a great story that keeps you reading. Apparently the first book to use the term 'avatar', went on to inspire stuff from the game second life to the matrix. Couldn't recommend this enough to sci-fi readers.

I totally agree about that love scene!! This book also inspired the name of Propellerhead's Reason music software. It's a classic.

I also enjoyed The Diamond Age and Zodiac by the same author.

I totally agree about that love scene!! This book also inspired the name of Propellerhead's Reason music software. It's a classic.

I also enjoyed The Diamond Age and Zodiac by the same author.

I'd previously read 'The Big U' and really enjoyed it. His newer stuff seems quite deep but I'm determined to make my way through his back catalogue.

Just finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."

Brilliant. The story is actually overshadowed by one of the best characters in a book I've ever read.

It's in my top 10 best books.

I wish I'd brought the sequel offshore with me.

Recently finished the sequel to this "The Girl Who Played With Fire."

Fantastic. The movie (Swedish version) for the first book comes out next month and apparently they're making it into a Hollywood movie.

Definately worth a read.

I'm currently re-reading Dune by Frank Herbert after having read the entire Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I plan on reading all the original Dune series and then i might look at the ones done by his son. I've also got the Exorcist by William Peter Blatty to read as well and i'll probably pick up Legion too.

I also fancy reading The Lovely Bones and also the original version of Let The Right One in and the Nightwatch series.

I'm currently re-reading Dune by Frank Herbert after having read the entire Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I plan on reading all the original Dune series and then i might look at the ones done by his son. I've also got the Exorcist by William Peter Blatty to read as well and i'll probably pick up Legion too.

I also fancy reading The Lovely Bones and also the original version of Let The Right One in and the Nightwatch series.

Dune.....Good choice, I've read it a number of times

Clavells "Shogun" too......

I'm just a couple of chapters in at the moment, of Dan Browns "Lost Symbol" (not grabbing me as much as his others though, at least, not as yet....)

Dune.....Good choice, I've read it a number of times

Clavells "Shogun" too......

I'm just a couple of chapters in at the moment, of Dan Browns "Lost Symbol" (not grabbing me as much as his others though, at least, not as yet....)

It's about 17 years since i last read it. Absolutely love the original series and i'm probably in a minority of people who love David Lynch's film version.