aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Damned straight. I've read all the Hrabal that's available except Letters to Dubenka. You read anything else by him or seen either of the film adaptations by Jiri Menzel?

that was the first book of his I'd read, so I went out and got a couple of others. I'm now reading "...served the king of England" and I've got Total fears sitting on my book case too.

What are the films called?

pete

inthehills

I've been reading "Meetings with Morrissey" by Len Brown extremely intermittently since Christmas. Bizarrely I can't seem to make myself sit down and keep reading it, even though when I do, I enjoy it.

I keep meaning to get this and also Morrissey In Conversation.

Has anyone else had the thought that they'd rather buy a book for hours/days of pleasure rather than spend the same amount or more on a film which only lasts about 3 hours?

Reading 'Down and out in Paris and London' by George Orwell, good book

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading "Bag Of Bones" by Stephen King. I know it's fashionable in literary circles to slag off the Kingmeister's writing abilities, but I love reading his books, he's a great storyterller and the books are really accessible and easy to get absorbed into. Real page turners, every one. He is about the only author who's books I read again and again and again. I started reading him when I was 14, and I spent that year just alternately reading "Christine" and "Pet Semetary" over and over again. I sort of rediscovered him last year after many years away and it's rekindled my love of reading.

Though yeah, he does descend into corniness a little too often,

Bought John Ajvide Lindqvist's 'Let The Right One In'. Really wanted to see the film but missed it in the cinema so while I wait for it to come out on dvd, thought I'd read the book. I'm enjoying it a lot, but have been told that "the film is like Freaky Friday after reading the book". :D

Christine is mint. I even like the film too, even though it hasn't aged well.

A case of so bad it's good as regards the film. Especially the fight scene in the garage. Some great dialogue too "Get your mits of me motherfucker!!" Really? Mits and motherfucker in the same sentence.

At moment I'm reading Dean Koontz's "Frankenstein, Book 1: Prodigal Son" because I wanted a popcorn book after reading more Dostoyevsky than my brain could handle. It's hardly a masterpiece but it's a fun story and I'm absolutely flying through it. Thinking about a bit of Kerouac when I'm finished.

I'm also reading The Count of Monte Cristo in the background at work, using this wonderful site: Main Page - Gutenberg. I really like it so far, but I suspect it'll be a long time before I finish it...

Currently unexpectedly enjoying Nick Cave's 'The Death of Bunny Munro'.

A few chapters in and after not thinking I would enjoy it all that much, I've warmed to it.

wtf? Why didn't I know this was out? Visit to Waterstones at lunchtime methinks....

I am currently reading 'The Late Hector Kipling' by David Thewlis.

Only a few pages in, but I suspect I am going to enjoy it...favourite quote so far - "...to say that he's getting on my nerves doesn't do it justice; he's finding footholds on every f**king synapse".

I've just finished a wee gem of a book about John McEnroe called..... 'On Being John McEnroe' by Tim Adams and thoroughly enjoyed it! Adams was almost obsessed with McEnroe during his time on the tour (and beyond but it's focussed on the '70s and '80s). The research he did ranging from sponsorship to partners was brilliant and the psychological side of the game is covered, which is clearly handy when you're speaking about a guy like McEnroe. The changes within the game and society (mainly British as the focus is on Wimbledon) over the years are wonderfully linked with the game and players at the time. Would definitely recommend this for a fan of the man and game or any sports fan really!

I've also almost finished 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith which I'm not entirely sure that I'll actually bother finishing. I expected to really like this but to be honest I've found it pretty boring and try-hard. If it didn't cover race, religion, gender etc in the way it did it would be dire. The time scale it's written in is pretty impressive in that you don't feel like you've missed out on chunks of any of their lives but I've never really warmed to any of the characters except Irie. Hmmmm.

the current batch is;

John Brunner-The Sheep Look Up. Another ace dystopia from the master, this one from 1972. After classics on race/genetic engineering and overpopulation, this one is about pollution, and so up to the fucking minute that it practically bleeds. I'm just about 100 pages in, so can't fully judge it yet, but the advertorial asides and expository clips allow the creation of a more convincing dystopia than most, ace.

William Burroughs-Junkie. Consists of actual paragraphs and that. Really good, as I can imagine him speaking it in his drawl, and not so heavy on the sodomistic hanging, which kind of put me off of Naked Lunch.

Got some Norman Spinrad to read soon.