aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Recently finished 'Eye Mind - The Saga of Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators' which was half interesting and half too long winded, too much time devoted to '...and then they all took shit loads more drugs and played a few gigs and were busted by the police (again).

Now reading 'Last Exit to Brooklyn' by Hubert Selby JR which is kind of hard going due to complete disregard for convention when it comes to punctuation to distinguish between character's dialogue. Once you get used to it it's a good read though.

Also reading 'Krautrocksampler' by Julian Cope, which besides the small fortune it took to obtain it in the first place, is going to hammer my bank balance trying to obtain the stuff that sounds of interest that I don't already have.

Also reading 'Krautrocksampler' by Julian Cope, which besides the small fortune it took to obtain it in the first place, is going to hammer my bank balance trying to obtain the stuff that sounds of interest that I don't already have.

You didn't come into my work (Waterstones) asking about this did you? Manager ordered in japrocksampler which looks really good and is on my 'to buy' list.

How much did Krautrocksampler set you back, out of interest?

'Geek Love' by Katherine Dunn, the internet told me to read it*, could be the first thing I've read that surpasses 'Naked Lunch' in the well fucked-up stakes, and 'The Marihuana Papers' edited by David Solomon, one of the best sources of information and socio-cultural and historical papers, it goes from Baudelaire and Leary to Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia's report on weed use in New York in the 40's, excellent.

Also re-reading 'Stand On Zanzibar' by John Brunner, ace dystopian SF.

*By which I mean the AV Club Book Group.

Picked that up in Asda for the grand sum of 3.86.

Currently reading 'The Damned United' by David Peace.

Also finished 'Watchmen' again. My bedtime reading is now going to be 'Scotland' by Magnus Magnusson. It's been mocking me from a shelf for too many years, I will read it....

Ok, this is bizzare....

I just finished Watchmen - and before that I read "The Damned United".

I haven't read Generation Kill for a couple of years - but I think i got it cheap in Asda as well.

Sheesh... near miss... I've "Japrocksampler" sitting beside the bed to read.

You didn't come into my work (Waterstones) asking about this did you? Manager ordered in japrocksampler which looks really good and is on my 'to buy' list.

How much did Krautrocksampler set you back, out of interest?

I didn't no. I found a copy online from an independent seller. I Think I paid about 90 quid, which is ridiculous but it's on Amazon for about 178 quid these days...if you can read German you are quids in as the German editions go cheaper.

The Japrocksampler hardback is on Amazon at about 2.68 new plus 2.75 postage, bargain.

"Johnny Marr: 'The Smiths' and the Art of Gun-Slinging" by Richard Carman.

It's so badly written that it's starting to annoy me, but I'll struggle on somehow...

Couldn't stand much more and stopped reading. Free to a good home if anyone wants it (god knows, I know how to talk books up!)

As much as I love him, until he writes his own book, I'm giving up on Johnny Marr.

Started and finished Scott Pilgrim vol. 1 today. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Might read Tony Visconti's autobiography next...

• 2 weeks later...
Couldn't stand much more and stopped reading. Free to a good home if anyone wants it (god knows, I know how to talk books up!)

As much as I love him, until he writes his own book, I'm giving up on Johnny Marr.

Started and finished Scott Pilgrim vol. 1 today. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Might read Tony Visconti's autobiography next...

Just finished reading a book about jackson browne, thanks alan! :up:

just moved onto Donnie Brasco, should be a good read, I liked the film. Can't wait to read about all the stuff they left out in the film.

I've just started the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I'm about halfway through the first book, and though it's an alright read, I don't know if it will hold my attention for 7 books.

I really hate 'fantasy' or whatever the genre is called with magical far off lands and mythical beasts etc. Lord of the Rings style stuff, hate it hate it hate it. So it might have been a bad choice, but I like his horror stuff a lot so I'll give it a go.

I really hate 'fantasy' or whatever the genre is called with magical far off lands and mythical beasts etc. Lord of the Rings style stuff, hate it hate it hate it.

I'm with you there. NAE. INTEREST. I don't care what deeper meaning it has or whether it is an allegory of human civilization, christianity, the World Wars etc. Wizards and hobits can fuck off.

Recently read Dead Famous by Ben Elton (nae bad), Paranoia by Joseph Finder (pretty good for a "Corporate Thriller"), The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (Excellent, recommended to anyone, particularly if you have an interest in India), The Women Who Walked into Doors by Roddy Doyle (pretty good if a little heavy on turgid drearyness at times) and am now reading Stephen Fry's first novel The Liar, which is, unsurprisingly, about a privately educated, eccentric, homosexual intellectual......

I'm with you there. NAE. INTEREST. I don't care what deeper meaning it has or whether it is an allegory of human civilization, christianity, the World Wars etc. Wizards and hobits can fuck off.

Recently read Dead Famous by Ben Elton (nae bad), Paranoia by Joseph Finder (pretty good for a "Corporate Thriller"), The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (Excellent, recommended to anyone, particularly if you have an interest in India), The Women Who Walked into Doors by Roddy Doyle (pretty good if a little heavy on turgid drearyness at times) and am now reading Stephen Fry's first novel The Liar, which is, unsurprisingly, about a privately educated, eccentric, homosexual intellectual......

On a slightly related note I recently read 'The Gun Seller' by Hugh Laurie. Cracking book, his only fiction novel as far as I'm aware tho which is a shame. It was written years ago, but somehow I can't picture the main character as anyone other than House! definite similarities in attitude

• 2 weeks later...