aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I finished 'Madame Bovary' on the way down to Edinburgh. I really liked Flaubert's writing but it is a fairly depressing read...I quite liked Homais as a character even if he was a bit up himself...

I then bought 'Hater' by David Moody and then finished that. I picked it up because I heard Guillermo Del Toro wanted to direct a film version...and although it's maybe a little formulaic in places it moves along really well, keeps your attention and ends on a slightly surprising note.

I'm now half-way through Evan Wright's 'Generation Kill', which is just fantastic so far. In fact, I'm off to read it now.

'Kill Your Friends' by John Niven

Is this any good? I've had a few people recommend it to me, but always been put off by the cover! I realise this sounds stupidly snobby.

Reading quite a lot of Auden just now in preparation for an essay, and re-reading a lot of Thomas Pynchon in preparation for a dissertation. Anyone have any recommendations for light reading for relief from the above mentioned? Something history-related would be good!

Is this any good? I've had a few people recommend it to me, but always been put off by the cover! I realise this sounds stupidly snobby.

Reading quite a lot of Auden just now in preparation for an essay, and re-reading a lot of Thomas Pynchon in preparation for a dissertation. Anyone have any recommendations for light reading for relief from the above mentioned? Something history-related would be good!

I read it a while ago. It was funny to begin with, but too quick to spiral into sub-Patrick Bateman-isms. As for some history-related light relief I would recommend The Exploits and Adventures of Brigadier Gerard. It's funny, thrilling and gives you an education in the Napoleonic wars, but most importantly it has a beautiful cover!

Also, if the Sherlock Holmes stories are anything to go by, reading Conan Doyle's writing is an absolute delight.

Funnily enough I've not yet read any Sherlock Holmes, I think I previously thought it'd be stuffy and it felt like I was already too familiar with Sherlock Holmes. But after reading Brigadier Gerard and The Lost World, I changed my mind and I have the complete Sherlock Holmes waiting on the shelf.

Um, it was OK....it kind of felt like it was copying some of it's ideas from 'American Psycho' to a certain extent. It kept me reading anyway, not the worst book i've read.

'Renegade The Lives and Tales of Mark E Smith' by Mark E Smith and some ghost writer dude.

It's in a vaguely chronological order apart from the opening which slags off the band members who abandoned him in America a few years back. I'm still pissed off about the abandoned Lemon Tree gig but this is going to be an autobiography that stands apart from others I feel.

Funnily enough I've not yet read any Sherlock Holmes, I think I previously thought it'd be stuffy and it felt like I was already too familiar with Sherlock Holmes. But after reading Brigadier Gerard and The Lost World, I changed my mind and I have the complete Sherlock Holmes waiting on the shelf.

I have a leatherbound collection containing all the short stories and a couple of the novels. I must say I do enjoy sitting by an open fire with that on my lap.

• 2 weeks later...

In the middle of reading "Blaze" by Steven King. It was written back in Kings early days when he used to write under 2 different names. He released horror novels under the name King, but also released crime novels under some other name which escapes me (I cleverly left the book in the deen and I'm now back in edinburgh for 10 days). Its a pretty good read. Pretty quick too. Very clearly influenced by "Of mice and men" though.

x

In the middle of reading "Blaze" by Steven King. It was written back in Kings early days when he used to write under 2 different names. He released horror novels under the name King, but also released crime novels under some other name which escapes me (I cleverly left the book in the deen and I'm now back in edinburgh for 10 days). Its a pretty good read. Pretty quick too. Very clearly influenced by "Of mice and men" though.

x

He used to write under the name Richard Bachman and John Swithen.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still reading 'The Great War for Civilisation' by Robert Fisk and would recommend it to anyone with even just a passing interest in Middle Eastern history. So far the chapters on the Iran-Iraq war and the ongoing hostility between Isreal and Palestine have been the most engrossing. Obviously it's just one mans view but I still feel massively well informed compared to say, a month ago, when all I knew was what I was watching on various news channels.

Recently read Boiling a Frog by Christopher Brookmyre (average, far from his best) The Black Tulip by Dumas (excellent), The Given Day by Dennis Lehane (very good) and am currently reading Confessions of Felix Krull, Confidence Man by Thomas Mann (top quality so far).

A book I recommend that people should believe the hype about is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

The worst book I have ever read was The King of Torts by John Grisham. It's my own fault for picking it up, I fanced a 'light read', but I am still disappointed a year later that I invested reading time in it given that there are thousands of mind blowing books that I'll never get time to read, like that copy of War and Peace I picked up recently. Fuck you John Grisham, fuck you.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm still reading 'The Great War for Civilisation' by Robert Fisk and would recommend it to anyone with even just a passing interest in Middle Eastern history. So far the chapters on the Iran-Iraq war and the ongoing hostility between Isreal and Palestine have been the most engrossing. Obviously it's just one mans view but I still feel massively well informed compared to say, a month ago, when all I knew was what I was watching on various news channels.

I think that I'll add this to my reading list.

I think that I'll add this to my reading list.

It is pretty heavy going in places, but then considering the expanse of what he deals with you can allow for it. I'm just about finished the chapters on the Algerian conflicts but I've had to take a wee break to get some other things read! Halfway through Michele Roberts' 'Piece of the Night' which is very good, although I'm thinking she's lifted half of the ideas, transcribed in a few places even, from New French Feminist thinking. It's a good read though and picks up as you go. Her first novel, and based on this I'll be giving her others a shot. Might try and catch her at the Word festival if I've got time :up: