aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Yup, we were talking about the novel rather than the graphic novel (which I'm aware of, but haven't read). I'm not sure if they've brought out a graphic novel of Devil in Amber.

A money saving tip... there's a paperback that's come out of both 'The Vesuvius Club' and 'The Devil in Amber' wrapped up together. :)

Indeed! And it's on 3 for 2 in Waterstone's, so you'd be getting four books for the price of two ;)

God, I'm good at promotions :D

As far as I'm aware, there's only a graphic novel of the Vesuvius Club and Mark said that they'd only do the other two if the fans wanted them 'cos the graphic novel of VC didn't sell brilliantly.

Just started reading "The City And The Stars" by Arthur C. Clarke... you can never go wrong with a bit of 1950's sci-fi

Great book! Read all my dad's 50's sci-fi when I was younger and that one stood out as a favourite. Must track some of it down again...

Currently trying to finish Iain M Banks - The Algebraist. Another great book :)

Finished the Devil In Amber and Black Butterfly. Both thoroughly enjoyable.

Now not sure where to start on my still-to-read list... Danny Wallace's 'Friends Like These' possibly.

Word is that The Vesuvius Club is soon to be made into a BBC TV show with Gatiss himself as Lucifer Box. I thought he was supposed to be handsome!

I finished The Master and Margarita graphic novel. I wish I'd read the actual novel first. I'm now reading The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers, from the Penguin classics boy own adventures series. I'm gonna buy them all of only to sit and stroke their beautiful covers.

Word is that The Vesuvius Club is soon to be made into a BBC TV show with Gatiss himself as Lucifer Box. I thought he was supposed to be handsome!

I finished The Master and Margarita graphic novel. I wish I'd read the actual novel first. I'm now reading The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers, from the Penguin classics boy own adventures series. I'm gonna buy them all of only to sit and stroke their beautiful covers.

Apparently the BBC effed around too much and wanted to tone down the whole thing, so Gatiss wasn't too happy and it's not going ahead any more. Damn. I woulda liked a part in that show...

But mmm... Master and Margarita. Didn't know there was a graphic novel.

Currently trying to finish Iain M Banks - The Algebraist. Another great book :)

oh you're in for a treat with that one!! its a great novel, a great sci-fi detective story. I think the Archimandrite Luciferous (excuse spelling) is possibly one of Banks' best characters!!

His other non-Culture sci-fi is great too, if you haven't already given them a go try "Against A Dark Background" or "Feersum Enjinn" both of those are superb books :):up:

Devastatingly mainstream i know....but i just finished the Twilight Series...... i'm about to start that series of books by Karen Chance .... i think the first one is called "Claimed by Shadow".

then i'm heading onto "A Certain Slant of Light" by Laura Whitcomb? (<- if anyone had read this... is it worth the read?,...)

oh you're in for a treat with that one!! its a great novel, a great sci-fi detective story. I think the Archimandrite Luciferous (excuse spelling) is possibly one of Banks' best characters!!

His other non-Culture sci-fi is great too, if you haven't already given them a go try "Against A Dark Background" or "Feersum Enjinn" both of those are superb books :):up:

Might have to finish it sometime then - it's been on the go for quite a while now ...

I used to inhale books (including Dark Background and Feersum Enjiin) but things have slowed down a lot in recent years :)

I just finished volume one of 'The Boys' by Garth Ennis. Read all of 'Preacher' ages ago and loved it so decided to start on The Boys. Volume ones basically just an introduction to the main characters, but I'm looking forward to when i have enough money to buy volume 2!

x

It's awesome - up to issue 27 now I think. Not as good as Preacher IMO, but still better fucking great. The second book is hilarious, just for the Batman-type chracter who can't stop fucking things...

Both comics. Any other recommendations along these lines much appreciated.

Ministry of Space - Warren Ellis/Chris Weston

Fell - Warren Ellis/Ben Templesmith

The Adventures of Luther Arkwright - Brian Talbot (and the sequel - 'Heart of Empire')

The Spiral Cage - Alan Davies

And the obvious - WATCHMEN

Anyone planning on seeing the movie should definitely avail themselves of the book first

Best things I read recently:

Art Spiegelman - Maus

&

Will Eisner: A life Force

Both comics. Any other recommendations along these lines much appreciated.

I LOVE Maus. I bought it for an ex years ago. When he moved out he left pretty much everything apart from that damned book and I keep forgetting to get my own copy.

I'm reading The Incredible Adam Spark by Alan Bissett (creative writing tutor at Glasgow Uni). Super fast paced and half heart breaking, half hilarious. It's written from the perspective of a 18 year old boy with learning difficulties who believes he got superpowers after an accident. It's pretty much a stream of conciousness in weegie - pure dead brilliant like :up: Don't want it to end, wish I'd written it.