aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

All I've really read recently is a few short stories by Thomas Mann. They are all fairly similar thematically, and generally somewhat depressing with regards to a main character who disintegrates through failure to combine properly with the opposite sex. I'll outline the plot of Little Herr Friedemann to give you an idea:

Baby is dropped on head at birth

Child is therefore physically deformed; very small and hunchbacked

Child falls in love with girl but sees her kissing other boy

Child is hurt and vows never to love again and devote life to self-improvement

Child grows into clever man of fine tastes in literature, music etc

Man is well known and respected in community despite deformity

Deformed Man falls in love with beautiful woman, despite conscience and much agonising

Beautiful woman professes love for deformed man

Deformed man offers a similar proclamation back

Beautiful woman calls deformed man an ugly little bastard and runs off giggling

Deformed man drowns himself

Currently reading Morbo by Philip Ball, a history of Spanish football at league and national level. Really well written, much more informative than the Culpepper book, and brings in the history of the nation on a more general level as well and how it feeds into the intense rivalries between clubs.

I read that a couple of months ago, a very good book. Some very interesting stuff about Spain's regional rivalries.

I read a book about Italian football a while ago which was quite similar in style, although it didn't go into as much historical details. It's called Forza Italia and it's written by Paddy Agnew. It has some very interesting chapters on Silvio Berlusconi and Maradonna's involvement with the mafia.

I'm currently jsut a few pages away from finishing Utopia by Thomas More, a very interesting read.

All I've really read recently is a few short stories by Thomas Mann. They are all fairly similar thematically, and generally somewhat depressing with regards to a main character who disintegrates through failure to combine properly with the opposite sex. I'll outline the plot of Little Herr Friedemann to give you an idea:

Baby is dropped on head at birth

Child is therefore physically deformed; very small and hunchbacked

Child falls in love with girl but sees her kissing other boy

Child is hurt and vows never to love again and devote life to self-improvement

Child grows into clever man of fine tastes in literature, music etc

Man is well known and respected in community despite deformity

Deformed Man falls in love with beautiful woman, despite conscience and much agonising

Beautiful woman professes love for deformed man

Deformed man offers a similar proclamation back

Beautiful woman calls deformed man an ugly little bastard and runs off giggling

Deformed man drowns himself

That doesn't sound very happy. Poor deformed hunchback.

I'm going to find a poetry book to look at cause I can't concentrate on reading books properly some days. Mind doesn't work.

I got Alliance by Jonathan Fenby, which is all about Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt in all their merry meetings together. Bar Antony Beevor's stuff, it's so far been one of the few non-fiction books that has genuinely gripped me.

Other than that, I have the entire Calvin and Hobbes collection being sent to me this next week. Joy!

Just finished 'Midnight Lamp' 3rd of Gwyneth Jones' Rock N Roll Reich sequence, ace. Starting a Norman Spinrad collection 'The Star-Spangled Future', looks good.

Also an overview of 100 years of popular (mainly US) music, 'Rockin Out' (ouch) by Reebee Garofalo, contains just enough, but not too much, musicology, (ie very simple).

And 'Fantasy Island' by Atkinson & Elliot, about the delusions that inform the NuLab project, Blair's legacy: a fantasy island trying to live beyond its means at every level | Business | The Guardian

The bits about how everybody will be able to have a rewarding, creative job, was the funniest/most depressing.

Is that ghost-written or did he do it himself?

He wrote it himself when he was out with his neck injury in like 2004. It's not very good but it's better than the ghost written ones. He just kind of races through the story like "I did this, and then I did that, and then I did this" without going into any detail about anything. Also it's pretty old so it is all before he was a main event guy. I'll give you a shot of it once you get through the Chris Jericho one.

WWE books not written by ghost writers, in order:

1 Mick Foley - Have A Nice Day

2 Chris Jericho - A Lion's Tale

3 Mick Foley - Foley Is Good

4 Adam Copeland - On Edge

I'm a couple of chapters through The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart and about two-thirds of my way through The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins.

...my attention span is way too short, though, it's probably going to take me about three months before I actually finish either of those two. :O

...and I borrowed Exit Music, that Radiohead book, off Ross and I don't think I'll ever get round to finishing it. :O

I'm a couple of chapters through The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart

No!!!!!

I gave up after 7 chapters, it's such tedious rubbish and quite easily the worst book I've ever read, and that includes reading some utter rubbish by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Words cannot express my hatred for The Dice Man :/

At the weekend read 'Wild Harbour' by Ian Macpherson, one of the best things I have read in ages, I couldn't do it justice here, but in its mixture of minimalist dystopianism, and closely observed Naturalism, the story of a couple who flee Doom to live in the mountains of Badenoch is surely one of the masterworks of 20th century Scottish Literature.