aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre.

I read that a while back after a friend raving about it. Enjoyed it but didn't think it was that special. Mostly, I think - and here you can really see the depth of my literary analysis - because the boy came across as a bit of a twat.

I read that a while back after a friend raving about it. Enjoyed it but didn't think it was that special. Mostly, I think - and here you can really see the depth of my literary analysis - because the boy came across as a bit of a twat.

For some reason I took particular exception to the constant use of the word "fucken" instead of "fucking". Once I realised it was annoying me I couldn't read the book properly because it's used on almost every page.

For some reason I took particular exception to the constant use of the word "fucken" instead of "fucking". Once I realised it was annoying me I couldn't read the book properly because it's used on almost every page.

The main character's "attitude" is layed on rather thick I must say and the characters are all a bit exaggerated, although i think the grotesque nature is intentional. I'm not far enough into to be sure what I make of it yet.

'Something I can get done by the end of study leave'. Almost sounds as though you can just bash your way through it in no time? Obviously I may have misunderstood you, but one wonders when others cite 19th century Russian high-art as a bit of light reading!

Ha, I was just kidding. Im thinking of doing Dostoevsky for my adv. english dissertation next year. I'm a coward and I picked the shorter of his novels first. There you go.

I'm sort of mixing between Jeremy Clarkson, Stuart Macbride and Irvine Welsh at the moment, patiently waiting for Christopher Brookmyre's next effort to hit the shelves.

Seems to be a bit of a backlog on the Welsh at the moment, three of his piled up next to my bed...

Nikki Sixx: The Heroin Diaries

Great stuff, a typical day for Nikki is to wake up, take shit loads of drugs, write a terrible song (possibly recording it in the studio drugs permitting), go out and have sex with stranger and then end up paranoid in the wardrobe with a gun to top off the evening. Next day: repeat yesterday.

It also includes lyrics to songs that didn't make it as Motley Crue songs, god they are good, no really, they are good, honest.

Great stuff, a typical day for Nikki is to wake up, take shit loads of drugs, write a terrible song (possibly recording it in the studio drugs permitting), go out and have sex with stranger and then end up paranoid in the wardrobe with a gun to top off the evening. Next day: repeat yesterday.

I posted a similar review, possibly in this thread, but I think mine was more negative...

• 2 weeks later...
I think you'll love it. Brooker's a genius.

Hear hear. Haven't got his new one yet, but "Screen Burn" is a corker!

Just finished "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski. It's pretty short, I managed to polish it off in just two days, but I thought it was awesome.

Vonnegut "Slaughterhouse 5" is up next. After that I'm going to take my first foray into sci-fi with "The Time Machine".

I just finished reading "Things The Grandchildren Should Know" by Mark Everett. Absolutely loved it. Read it over 2 days which is fast for me as i don't read that much.

If anybody else has any musical related biography suggestions i'd like to hear 'em.

I just finished reading "Things The Grandchildren Should Know" by Mark Everett. Absolutely loved it. Read it over 2 days which is fast for me as i don't read that much.

If anybody else has any musical related biography suggestions i'd like to hear 'em.

none that i've read are even close to that in my opinion. Dylan's Chronicles is probably the nearest.

Just realised you're speaking about biographies not so much autobiographies.