aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I finshed the Malcolm X autobiography. It was tremendous, go and read it!!

Then I read The Straw Men by Michael Marshall (uses the name Michael Marshall Smith when writing science fiction, i read some of his scifi stuff earlier, possibly mentioned in this thread.)

It's strange reading a normal thriller type book after reading so many long books recently. I was struck with how the story just seemed to fly by. I think i prefer stories that build slowly and really develop the characters, because that way even small things (such as a change in a characters motivation) can seem very big.

When a story doesn't have this then it just feels like a stream of action scenes with the only common factors being that they share the same characters and have a very rough cause/effect relationship.

That said, I did enjoy the book, it was about 500 pages and I finished it in about 4 or 5 days so it was quite good at holding my somewhat shinythingcentric attention. It also retained the new and interesting ideas which had originally led me to enjoy his scifi work, which was something I was worried he would lose in the transition to crime fiction. I think I probably will read the other crime books he has written at some point.

I am now reading 'The Brother Karamazov' by Dostoyevsky. I have high hopes for it.

My new years resolution was to read a book a week after not cracking a book in about 6 months.

Easing myself back into it with stuff that's not too challenging. So far I've plowed through

Serial Killers - the 50 worst serial killers in history (can't remember the author)

Beyond Evil - Inside the mind of Ian Huntley - Nathan Yates (it's total turds, don't waste your money on it)

Family Portrait by Graham Masterton (nowhere near as good as his other stuff)

and

My Booky Wook by Russel Brand. It's my girlfriends, I keep in the bathroom to read while 'm taking a dump. I call it my 'shiterature'.

Guest bluesxman
If You Liked School Youll Love Work by Irvine Welsh.

Pretty unimpressed so far, 3 stories in and not one seemed to have any point to it. Its almost as if he wrote 3 stories that seemed to be heading in a predictable direction so he decided to confound expectation by just ending them with no real point to the story resulting.

OK, the end novella 'Kingdon Of Fife' rescued this book from being a total waste of space.

Now reading 'The Glass Books Of The Dream Eaters' by G.W. Dahlquist.

Dan Rivers- What a t**t!

I am an Afc supporter, and as some kind of sick joke, a friend bought me a book called "Cogratulations you've just met the Aberdeen casuals" Thanx!! After reading the first few pages and then skimming through the rest as my blood boiled inside I had to put the pile of s**t down and walk away.

Can anybody help me to track down a website where I can e-mail the bloodclot who wrote this book, or put me in touch with anyone who ran with this loon in his so called hey day?

I'm currently in Iraq and all I want to do is invite him and his mates across here to witness what fighting is really like, done by real men, instead of a bunch of wasters spoiling the game of football and tarnishing the name of the club that REAL supporters love !!!!!! Come and have a go big man!!!!

I am an Afc supporter, and as some kind of sick joke, a friend bought me a book called "Cogratulations you've just met the Aberdeen casuals" Thanx!! After reading the first few pages and then skimming through the rest as my blood boiled inside I had to put the pile of s**t down and walk away.

Can anybody help me to track down a website where I can e-mail the bloodclot who wrote this book, or put me in touch with anyone who ran with this loon in his so called hey day?

I'm currently in Iraq and all I want to do is invite him and his mates across here to witness what fighting is really like, done by real men, instead of a bunch of wasters spoiling the game of football and tarnishing the name of the club that REAL supporters love !!!!!! Come and have a go big man!!!!

There's another one, Diary of an Aberdeen Casual or something, by Jay somebody, it's fairly shite as well.

There's another one, Diary of an Aberdeen Casual or something, by Jay somebody, it's fairly shite as well.

Pedantry in motion:

It's entitled Bloody Casuals: Diary of a Football Hooligan by Jay Allan

I've read them both and found them to be entertaining as there's nothing better than a stairheid rammy between rival crews.

Currently reading Attack of The Unsinkable Rubber Ducks by Christopher Brookmyre. Hoot-a -page hilarity all the way through

Pedantry in motion:

It's entitled Bloody Casuals: Diary of a Football Hooligan by Jay Allan

I've read them both and found them to be entertaining as there's nothing better than a stairheid rammy between rival crews.

Currently reading Attack of The Unsinkable Rubber Ducks by Christopher Brookmyre. Hoot-a -page hilarity all the way through[/quote

Just to be snide, petty and an excruciating wank; didn't the title of the book alert you in anyway as to what the content would involve?

It's self-admittedly and unabashedly about football violence and why he got involved in the scene in the first place and why to a certain extent he glorifies it. It is not an ardent AFC fan's recollections and enthusings of the glory years. How you can liken what happened on the terraces and away from the grounds to a battle field and war zone where you are fighting evades me. The two are mutually exclusive, and never the twain shall meet.

If you had been less churlish and persevered with the book then you'd have discovered the 80scasuals website and forum. There you can vent your spleen.

I do not in anyway condone the voilence the casuals meted out. Back in the day I thought they were wanks, especially the under 5's. Some of the main members and heid honchos were OK but there was always a sense that they were spoiling for a stairheid rammy just for the sheer hell of it and always with the odds stacked in their favour - about 3 to 1. Sometimes more.

Nowadays I'm a bit of a clothes horse and gazing through the retrospectoscope I, hand on heart, thought that the clobber they wore was indeed stylish (with the exception of Burberry).

Now you have mitigation to call me a twat:up:

Just to be snide, petty and an excruciating wank; didn't the title of the book alert you in anyway as to what the content would involve?

It's self-admittedly and unabashedly about football violence and why he got involved in the scene in the first place and why to a certain extent he glorifies it. It is not an ardent AFC fan's recollections and enthusings of the glory years. How you can liken what happened on the terraces and away from the grounds to a battle field and war zone where you are fighting evades me. The two are mutually exclusive, and never the twain shall meet.

If you had been less churlish and persevered with the book then you'd have discovered the 80scasuals website and forum. There you can vent your spleen.

I do not in anyway condone the voilence the casuals meted out. Back in the day I thought they were wanks, especially the under 5's. Some of the main members and heid honchos were OK but there was always a sense that they were spoiling for a stairheid rammy just for the sheer hell of it and always with the odds stacked in their favour - about 3 to 1. Sometimes more.

Nowadays I'm a bit of a clothes horse and gazing through the retrospectoscope I, hand on heart, thought that the clobber they wore was indeed stylish (with the exception of Burberry).

Now you have mitigation to call me a twat:up:

You are indeed a twat, and also very dull. Goodbye.