aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

• 2 weeks later...

Plato's 'Phaedrus', and Derrida's 'Plato's Pharmacy', as well as other articles by Derrida and articles on Derrida's take on the idea of the pharmakon/writing/speech etc.

By brain is slowly dripping onto the keyboard. I hate this course. Stupid core course. I guarantee you that the people taking my MLitt next year when it's properly established won't have to do it.

Plato's 'Phaedrus', and Derrida's 'Plato's Pharmacy', as well as other articles by Derrida and articles on Derrida's take on the idea of the pharmakon/writing/speech etc.

By brain is slowly dripping onto the keyboard. I hate this course. Stupid core course. I guarantee you that the people taking my MLitt next year when it's properly established won't have to do it.

I had to read some Derrida for a course on the use of force in international law, and I've never fell so unintelligent in my life.

That's a fairly accurate description of how I feel reading it. I did however find a nice Routledge guide that makes it a tad easier to understand. I don't know why I chose it. I think my brain froze when I was faced with my Professor asking "So...what did you enjoy?".

At least the other courses are going extremely well....

I'm reading 'The 13 Steps to Mentalism' by Corinda.

It's a book of magic tricks (written in the early 20th century) which surprisingly explains the workings of a lot of tricks by 'mentalist' magicians today...ie Derren Brown. (In fact, it explains nearly every damn trick he's ever pulled.)

Fascinating. (I'd tell you the contents but I'd have to kill you afterwards.)

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished a couple of books recently...

Brother Odd by Dean Koontz.

The third part of a trilogy about the guy that can see the dead. It was OK but I can't see it being made into a movie any time soon.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. by J.K. Rowling.

I have to admit that I really enjoy the Harry Potter books and this is no exception. The ending really had me wishing that I'd brought the last book offshore with me as it left a few loose ends which the next book will no doubt fill. No doubt this will definately be made into a film (if it isn't already in production).

'Guns, Germs and Steel' by Jared Diamond, aka why Eurasians got all the stuff at the expense of everyone else, turns out, its geography.

I liked that one.

I just reread High Fidelity. I like Nick Hornby a lot, but I read A Long Way Down and thought it was gash so I just thought I'd reinstate my faith in him (though I didn't like High Fidelity as much as before, hm).

I havent posted in this thread in far too long :(

So far this term I have read 'Common Sense' by Thomas Paine and am just over half way through the autobiography of Malcolm X and it is looking like its heading to be in my top 3 books.

Last term I read: 3 Sherlock Holmes books (finished them all now!), 'The End of the World Blues' by jon courtenay grimwood, 'Anna Karenina' by Tolstoy which was awesome, '1984' by Orwell, 'The War of the Flea' by Robert Taber which was a very good exploration of how/why guerilla wars begin/are fought, 'Conversations with Durito' by Subcommandante Marcos which is a collection of communiqus by the EZLN about an anti-neoliberalist beetle's experiences in the fight for indigenous rights in Mexico, 'Rights of Man' by Thomas Paine, and finally 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoevsky which was also excellent.

I had very good luck with book choices last term, they were all great. Let's hope the same happens again this term!

Guest bluesxman

If You Liked School Youll Love Work by Irvine Welsh.

Pretty unimpressed so far, 3 stories in and not one seemed to have any point to it. Its almost as if he wrote 3 stories that seemed to be heading in a predictable direction so he decided to confound expectation by just ending them with no real point to the story resulting.

Guest Steven Dedalus
If You Liked School Youll Love Work by Irvine Welsh.

I didn't know you could read, martin!

Only kidding.

I'm reading "The Stand" by Stephen King, cos I'm skint and it was only 3 in the Oxfam Shop in Belfast.

Good times.

'Guns, Germs and Steel' by Jared Diamond, aka why Eurasians got all the stuff at the expense of everyone else, turns out, its geography.

Just got that today, looking forward to it.

Just finishing Stephen Ambrose' D-Day, which is far too focused on the American landings. He's still very complimentary to the Brits, but not enough to consider this as a good book for an overall view of the landings, and I think just one chapter is devoted to the Canadian beach!

Currently reading Max Brooks The Zombie Survival Guide. Using it as reference material, and it turns out it's a fantastic read :D

Guest Steven Dedalus

Currently reading Max Brooks The Zombie Survival Guide. Using it as reference material, and it turns out it's a fantastic read :D

Then you have to read "World War Z" which is the follow up.

It's brilliant.

Guest bluesxman
I didn't know you could read, martin!

Only kidding.

I'm reading "The Stand" by Stephen King, cos I'm skint and it was only 3 in the Oxfam Shop in Belfast.

Good times.

Aye, I've progressed nicely...I see your comedy skills still need some honing though ;)