aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I've just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Not my usual thing but it was a beautiful story, very well written.

RICHARD AND JUDY BOOK CLUB RECOMMENDATIONS. Not bad.

You'll be left a bit dissapointed by this if you enjoyed the first book. (I even followed it up by buying 'The book of the Die' which is just like the final slap in the face.

yeah, I agree. Shockers.

So I decided to read Hard Times by Charles Dickens first. I just finished it. It was awesome. Perhaps I shouldn't have stayed up until half past three in the morning to finish it...but meh.

Next: Search for the Dice Man

*prepares to be disappointed*

'the naked drinking club' by rhona cameron, it's not exactly mind-blowing stuff but it's humorous and well-written. Very enjoyable. Saw her reading it at the Word festival so i decided to buy it (got it signed and 'a). Also got the new(ish) Alan Warner that, after hearing him read from it too, i'm looking forward to reading!

I went to the central library and came out with a stack of books, the first non academic ones I've read in ages. Bliss.

Just finished The Abortionists Daughter by Elizabeth Hyde, which was OK but lacking in any real substance. I picked up The Life of Pi as well, so I think that'll be next.

doesn't it feel great? i've totally re-discovered my enthusiasm for reading:up:

Yeah, it does! I've rediscovered mine also. My friend let me borrow 'Mr Nice', the autobiography of Howard Marx. Really interesting. Also reading an 'Introduction to Friedrich' Nietzsche with a view of reading some of his material. Also really want to read '1984' again as I haven't read it since I was 16. Yeah, reading=good! :up:

Ciaranx

The Fall of the Roman Empire by Peter Heather, which is surprisingly great. Most Roman history books I've read are either outdated or slightly all over the place.

I've also gotten, after three weeks of waiting (thanks Amazon!) Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan, which was recommended to me, though for no good reason. Looking forward to it.

The Fall of the Roman Empire by Peter Heather, which is surprisingly great. Most Roman history books I've read are either outdated or slightly all over the place.

I've also gotten, after three weeks of waiting (thanks Amazon!) Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan, which was recommended to me, though for no good reason. Looking forward to it.

How does a history book get outdated? Surely by definition history books are about the past. Yes, I'm being pedantic :p

I read the most amazing book called 'You're an animal, Viskovitz!' by Alessandro Boffa which about this guy who reincarnates as a different animal each chapter. It's so surreal and so very very French.

And I've rediscovered 'I Capture The Castle' by Dodie Smith after reading a trashy-ish chick lit called 'The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets'

As it 2 weeks ad counting until my holiday, the Chick Lit is coming out.

''Dot Homme'' by Jane Moore.

Its ace, I barely need to be awake when reading it.

So it's a braille edition you've got? :p

Soz - couldn't resist.

I'm currently reading The Court Of The Air by Stephen Hunt.

next on the hit-list is Mr. Timothy by Louis Bayard

How does a history book get outdated? Surely by definition history books are about the past. Yes, I'm being pedantic :p

I mean in the way that new research into the subject means that older history books can become inaccurate, as they were using different data. Therefore they become outdated.

The eastern front of the Second World War, for example, has seen a massive amount of new books on the subject since the fall of the Soviet Union, as it gave western historians better access to Russia's documents and people around at the time of the war :)