aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Guest Kilgore Trout
I started reading John Aberdein's 'Amande's bed', but it didn't take, so I went a bit downmarket, and am currently reasding Alafair Burke's 'Judgement calls'.

whassatallaboutalan? is it got dirty bits?, they is my favourite bit of word bundles.

sassa meeerkat gubbins!

Guest bluesxman

I have just finished 'The World Of Karl Pilkington' which is transcribes of the Podcasts he did with Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. Very funny I thought.

I am now reading 'The Story Of Crass' by George Berger. I used to listen to Crass a lot in my younger days and still do on occasion but when I was a lad they were a bit mysterious and I actually knew very little about them, so I was interested to find out more.

whassatallaboutalan? is it got dirty bits?, they is my favourite bit of word bundles.

sassa meeerkat gubbins!

It's about a female prosecutor(which the author used to be in real life) and her struggles with a case involving a teenage prostitute being severely assaulted. No dirty bits as yet, but I'll keep you posted:up:

Next on the list will be the biography of Charlie Patton, 'King of the Delta blues'.

I'm reading "London Fields" by Martin Amis. It's really good, it reminds me of Will Self's "My Idea of Fun" in that there is a sense (half way through it) that there is some larger conspiracy or event unfolding which you just gradually begin to understand, after initially being lulled into thinking you know where it's all going.

Amis is really funny aswell, he's an excellent and deeply perceptive satirist.

I'm reading "London Fields" by Martin Amis. It's really good, it reminds me of Will Self's "My Idea of Fun" in that there is a sense (half way through it) that there is some larger conspiracy or event unfolding which you just gradually begin to understand, after initially being lulled into thinking you know where it's all going.

Amis is really funny aswell, he's an excellent and deeply perceptive satirist.

London Fields is immense

"Hide under the bed, no chance, there's ten years worth of darts magazines under there"

perhaps I paraphrase.

'Money' is even better.

There should be some sort of Will Self appreciation society, 'Great Apes' is definitely one of the literary high spots of the late 20th century.

is he that devil worshipping fruit loop that hung about with Jimmy page?

He was a bit of a fruit loop, but more so a jester whom everyone took a bit too seriously.

He had a lot of interesting and great things to say, but I believe he lost his way shortly after he left Boleskine House. Went a bit mad and became a bit of a megalomaniac. . .

Another great book i've been meaning to re-read is "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" by Philip K. Dick - the book which went on to inspire Blade Runner.

Just finished Orwell's 'Down and out in Paris and London'. Features what must be the best account of working in a kitchen that you can ever read.

Tried reading 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley but now finding his short stories much more captivating, if a little pretentious in places.

A

'Chuck Palahniuck' 'LULLABY

Author of 'Fight Club' and always a good read. None of his others have quite matched 'Fight Club' though but it was a doozy.

Recently read 'Time Travellers Wife'. Ingenius and loved it!

Have been ploughing away at Michel Foucault's 'Madness and Civilisation' but get distracted easily with work literature and Music Industry bumff. You know, It's one of those books that looks good on the table beside your coffee...

I like this end of Aberdeen-Music a lot!

:up: :up: :up:

'The World We're In' by Will Hutton which thus far is nothing i havent read before.

' The Hard Sell' by John Bone which is an ethnographic study of the direct selling industry. Closest thing i can compare it to is the film glengarry glen ross or boiler room. Although if anyones worked as a telecanvasser for kitchen, windows or mortgage companies you'll know what i mean.

'Willing Slaves' by madeline bunting, describes britains overwork culture. Interesting and well informed.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

"The origin of the family, private property and the State" by Freidrich Engels. Again. Was distracted by those copies of "Over 40" and "UK Amateur Milfs".