aberdeen-music

Meal at a 7* hotel

Hog

Had dinner a few nights ago at Dubai's Burj which is a 7* hotel (a once off).

Dunno if anyone has eat/drank/been there?

After our meal, myself and my ladyfriend went to the bar on the 27th floor. Nice view, £10 for a beer!o_O

Anyway, was a great experience, here are some pics.

d.jpg

h.jpg

g.jpg

f.jpg

e_209801.jpg

Guest onlynik

After our meal, myself and my ladyfriend went to the bar on the 27th floor. Nice view, £10 for a beer!o_O

Anyway, was a great experience, here are some pics.

TBH, £10 for a beer is not that much, when you are toalking about a 7* establishment.

After our meal, myself and my ladyfriend went to the bar on the 27th floor. Nice view, 10 for a beer!o_O

Was it full of Bond villains?

Did...

e_209801.jpg

...that get shot at, raining glass, water and fish all over everyone in the lobby?

If not, I'm nae impressed.

I am almost certain now that the scale only goes up to 5 and they just decided to declare themselves 7* although that would be illegal:P

Depends on the place - the Radisson SAS me and Hayley stayed in when we went to Tallinn was a 5* locally, but only 4* according to the (UK) guide books.

Heck, if the authorities in Dubai say that it's 7*, then it is :p

I went there for high tea in the sky bar last July. I could quite happily get use to a life of high tea every day. A gorgeous view from the bar in the day.

How was your meal? we were told it wasn't anything special so wasn't worth having dinner there.

The meal was awesome. It wasn't actually in the burj, it was on the beach within its grounds. The only thing was that my main course was slightly small but I made up for it by eating a banana split.:up:

I thought the whole *star* rating thing only went up to 5.

Is 5* not generally a plush hotel with everything up to the luxury of a decent swimming pool and golf course?

I always thought the extra 2 stars came from the availability of an onsite Marina and Helipad in hand with close perfection on the luxury scale, if there is one. I think the substitution of rooms for suites might also be a factor in getting you past 5*.

Just to ease the confusion over the 'how many stars you can have' discussion, it says the following on the Burj al-Arab's wikipedia page:

* The hotel's self-characterization as a "7-star" property is considered by travel professionals to be hyperbole, and an attempt to out-do a number of other hotels which claim "6-star" status. All major travel guides and hotel rating systems, however, have a 5-star maximum. According to the hotel's official site, the Burj al Arab is a "5-star deluxe hotel".

the rest of the article can be found here