aberdeen-music

What do people think of Classical Music?

jcn

Hey everyone

I just wanted to get an impression of what people honestly think of Classical music?

I am studying at uni and plan to organise gigs for classical musicians in local venues. The idea is to get to the music without all of the pretense and formalities that come with recitals.

So what do you think? Would you be interested in going somewhere like say the Tunnels to go to see classical musicians? It would be a variety of (probably) music students playing in things such as string quartets, choirs, solo singers, chamber music, etc.

One more thing; would anyone be interested in helping me in my quest?

Cheers!!

That sounds very interesting... Would be great for someone to push the fact that you don't have to be over 50 and sat in the Music Hall or the Cowdray Hall to hear a nice bit of classical...

As an example, I foresee a joint gig of a string quartet going head to head with someone like Mickel Mass. A battle of established and structured composition versus freeform improvisation. Half an hour each... I'd go to that. Or a good powerful choir could sound incredible in the Tunnels.

Would be a good chance for music students to get some performance experience too, I would think.

That sounds very interesting... Would be great for someone to push the fact that you don't have to be over 50 and sat in the Music Hall or the Cowdray Hall to hear a nice bit of classical...

As an example, I foresee a joint gig of a string quartet going head to head with someone like Mickel Mass. A battle of established and structured composition versus freeform improvisation. Half an hour each... I'd go to that. Or a good powerful choir could sound incredible in the Tunnels.

Would be a good chance for music students to get some performance experience too, I would think.

i concur.

I like Classical Music of various periods. I am not hugely keen on the recital style performance. You very much have to be in the right mood and very focused. I like the informality of pub gigs. I am not sure a string quartet would be well suited for a pub gig but I would like to see someone try it.

When I saw a Mozart Piano Concerto. I put my hand into my pocket to get a tissue to find a lady had turned round and was giving me a wierd look due to making an incredibly small amount of noise.

Guest bluesxman

I would go and see it as long as there was a stringent yacking idiots ban being enforced to stop music being tainted by unnecessary discussions in the background which would kill it for me certainly.

Guest onlynik

I enjoy a good bit of classical, but I've been exposed to it for years, the first music I heard was Mahler, I've also been known to listn to Radio 3 and Classic FM whilst driving. I'd quite happily come along to listen.

I would go and see it as long as there was a stringent yacking idiots ban being enforced to stop music being tainted by unnecessary discussions in the background which would kill it for me certainly.

I better not come along then! It's totally lost on me also. Couldn't tell you the difference between Bach, Mozart and.....erm.........that's the only ones I know. :D

It does have a stigma attached to it that it must be listened to by the old and the posh on a pleasant summer lawn so I'd encourage you to break down those barriers. There seems to be genuine interest so what have you got to lose?

You can't beat a bit of classical music. Some of the most exciting experiences I've had performing have been in Orchestra's and Concert bands. There is a different sort of intensity and energy that is created in these types of concerts. Also, classical doesn't mean that the music can't be contemporary.

It might encourage people to think about how different sorts of instruments could be worked into performances.

If I can make it I will come along for sure.

Cheers!!

I agree with what you are saying, people do have the impression that classical music is for the 'pipes and pimms' brigade. But honestly, classical is like any other music: find a good performer and it can change your world!

There has been a lot of positive feedback, so I think I will try and pursue this. Next step is to get in touch with local venues/promoters and see what can be arranged.

Thanks a lot guys :-)

it's certainly an idea worth pursuing and something I'd be interested in seeing. Maybe they could do a mixed set of classical and their interpretations of some contemporary songs to ease folk in a bit.

I'd love to see sets like that - classical interpretations can be utterly mindblowing if done properly.

As for me personally, I'm not a huge fan of classical music, but some stuff (like Pictures at an Exhibition) is amazing in my book.