aberdeen-music

How do u learn?

bryn

Yeah, I agree - when you do pull off that lick or solo that is fairly difficult you're like "yeah, I'm cool" but it's good to play stuff that isn't hard so that a) it's a lot easier not to fuck it up and b) it's sometimes more fun to play because you don't have to concentrate like a mofo and so you can take the time to do other things, like make faces at the drummer.

i sstrated off learning songs. But aint for ages. I just imporvise of do some scale work. I try also to learn every technique i possibly can so i have more variety in my work. I also like to take songs made for other instruemnts and apply them to bass. Mainly some classical piano pieces by bach and mozart. I also try everything ive done for one form of playing and do it diffenrently with other methods. i.e converting a simple riff that is played with finger picking and slap it all then double slap it then try it tapping and cross hand tapping. Also for bassists out there go to activebass.com and check out the lesson part. It's just tons of kool stuff ppl have made up etc and put on line. When i learn songs i usually pick two by the same artist. one which is clearly beyond me and one that i could probs do. I start with the hardest first for days and usually dont get too far, then learn the easier one which then feels like a peice of piss. I continue at that song till i can play it at normally a good few beats over the actual speed then go bak to the harder song which quickly feels a hell of alot simpler. you should try it, seems to work quite well!