aberdeen-music

The Wasteland is no more...

Neil

...and has been renamed to General Discussion.

Following feedback from some users and to make the web site a little more accommodating to off-topic discussion (i.e. not music or scene related discussion) we have decided to conduct a little experiment. The Wasteland has been renamed to General Discussion and four new sub-forums have been created within this called Humour, Movies & TV,

Politics & Current Affairs and Sports. The staff will, where appropriate, move selected threads into these new sub-forums starting from today.

The aim is to not only encourage more people to post but to also make it more obvious what content is considered acceptable to be posted into the General Discussion forum and sub-forums.

Hopefully you will all agree but if you don't think it's working or if you have any other feedback then please reply and let us know. :)

Neil, far too many categories. I'm not gonna trawl through 5 different boards to find conversations I've been having, the point of the Wasteland was that anything goes anywhere.

That may prove to be the case and if so, the sub-forums will be removed. I'll keep a close eye on this and see how it affects the post and view rates...

I think the changes are great.. Gives the Wasteland crowd something to trawl through without seeing the threads scattered all over the board.. at least if you seriously wanna put some input into a debate, it's not just their to see for someone to add silly comments.

I for one like the changes. :D

Can i dare to ask what members asked for these changes and were they discussed over a pint?.........Wouldnt it be better if you asked your regular members and supporters via polls and what not instead of gathering a wee gang of friends and deciding fates of things you seem to have no idea about....

I mean absolutly no disrespect when i say that neil im sure your more than aware what sections of the site YOU like and what sections of the site MATTER .... it just seems bizzare that one of your highest visited andone of your most posted in section's gets wiped on a whim.....I appreciate im being very outspoken here and i appreciate we have peeps that think the wastelands dragged abdn-music down but lets face it the peeps that say that shit put nothing back into the website the say they love so much....

Im sure like everything most of us will get used to the changes (no-one likes changes)..Just i feel this website is being ran by friends of the staff not the staff.

Please dont take above as disrespectful or the like these are simply my thoughts

As per sorry for grammar....Im titliterate

Can i dare to ask what members asked for these changes and were they discussed over a pint?.........

Weren't you one of the users who asked for sub-forums then you went and created yor own forum site, with sub-forums? Now you don't want sub-forums?

chris mate im not saying i dont like the sub forums and im not 100% saying i dont like the new layout ..All im saying is on my site if one of the busiest sections had a few randoms always moaning aboiut it im damn sure i wouldnt go changing it cos the minority hated it (especialy when this minority pay absolutly zero towards it but constantly whine)

Again all im asking is where did these mebers ask for these changes and where was it asked to be deleted...Uusualy a poll is put forward and popular opinions are seriously looked at.......

Maybe i blind maybe ive overlooked these posts and polls just seems weird one of the most popular sections is totaly wiped renamed and re-ordered due to a bunch of people asking...

Maybe the peeps who have said "bye bye i wont be back" you guys dont care about i dont know...Is it the more popular you are on this site the more serious your opinions matter?...Again im only asking..........

If i ever asked for subforums WITHIN the wastelands it would have been a geberal tv section and what not...NEVER once have i asked you guys to wipe the wastelands out and create subforums only.......

I use all/most of this website for all kinds of information i just prefered the wastelands as i have not got productive music information for the other sections....Isnt it better i read the other sections and not just post useless shit that no-one cares about.....Being older and having kids i dont get out to see live bands and new bands as much as id like to ......I still read all the sections but if im not in the 'scene' what do my thoughts matter in these sections.....The wasteland might have been a section of the site that ALOT of peeps hated but lets face it bringing in one of the highest post counds and new threads each day cant be all bad and cant have been a totaly drag on the site

Again this is your guys webby these are only my thoughts....Im in no way saying ill never be back as i use all manners of sections of this site for all manners of information

Can i dare to ask what members asked for these changes and were they discussed over a pint?.........Wouldnt it be better if you asked your regular members and supporters via polls and what not instead of gathering a wee gang of friends and deciding fates of things you seem to have no idea about....

I mean absolutly no disrespect when i say that neil im sure your more than aware what sections of the site YOU like and what sections of the site MATTER .... it just seems bizzare that one of your highest visited andone of your most posted in section's gets wiped on a whim.....I appreciate im being very outspoken here and i appreciate we have peeps that think the wastelands dragged abdn-music down but lets face it the peeps that say that shit put nothing back into the website the say they love so much....

Im sure like everything most of us will get used to the changes (no-one likes changes)..Just i feel this website is being ran by friends of the staff not the staff.

Please dont take above as disrespectful or the like these are simply my thoughts

As per sorry for grammar....Im titliterate

Eh? Maybe I'm failing to understand something but the suggestions came from registered members of this web site (your mate Bux being one person ironically enough). Nothing was "discussed over a pint" although I don't know why that would be a problem anyway.

As I always try to do, I run by any significant changes to the web site past all the staff members first just in case I'm about to do something silly or if they have any better ideas and that was certainly the case with the recent changes to The Wasteland. I don't think a poll would have been particularly helpful as it doesn't really allow people to suggest their own ideas or assess the changes and then make an informed decision.

And nothing whatsoever has been "wiped on a whim". Everything is still there! The forum has simply been renamed, a few sub-forums added and some existing threads moved into them.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

The point im making is i loved the name "The Wastelands" lol ;) ........These are simply my thoughts guys i have no serious point to make......As you know we started our own forums not long ago and maybe cos we are relativly new we are extremely busy some days but dead the next...We are always looking for new ideas on how to make things better and bring more traffic......I understand this is probably what your doing i just find it strange things can be decided via pms..........

Why is it ironic that my mate asked for these changes and i didnt :D ..... we are best mates no siamese twins neil ;) ......Why dont ya just turn the wastelands into a TRUsection and let us run it and be done with it ;) ;) ;) granted peeps would likely complain and moan and say they hate me but at the end of the day they dont know me personaly they just take my warblings within the wastelands to heart...

The TRU comment was off the cuff btw .. .. .. .. And yeah tubthumper thanks thats exactly my point .....

Also new sections and new ideas im pressuming are to bring in new members.....Isnt it a common rule to try and accomodate your excisting members fiirst befre trying to impress/get new members

Seriously? If so, then I assume The Wasteland was the only reason you visited the web site. If so, then that's a loss I can deal with.

I also dont get that comment?.......I only post in the wastelands and read it everyday as its a section that has new posts threads EVERYDAY.......Are you saying people who only post in that section of the website dont really matter to this website?...........Even people who are willing to pay towards the whole site?............I never realised that being a registered member and supporter i had to post in all sections?.....Or am i way off the mark here?

I appreciate you probs think im giving you grief or im speaking a lot of kite im simply asking these questions out of interest...

If i ever asked for subforums WITHIN the wastelands it would have been a general tv section and what not...

And that's exactly what has been done. I don't see why you're saying stuff has been wiped - it hasn't. Everything that was there before is still there - but if anything is relevant to one of the new sub-forums (WITHIN General Discussion) it has been moved into there to keep similar threads together. You can still post all the general nonsense you want into the same place, it's just not called the Wasteland any more.

How about a user option where you can choose to see all the topics from all or however many of the subforums you like when you open General Discussion? Like a combined view thing or something techinical that I dont really understand. That way everyone's happy. IMO it's too much titting about opening 5 different forums just for a chinwag.

How about a user option where you can choose to see all the topics from all or however many of the subforums you like when you open General Discussion? Like a combined view thing or something techinical that I dont really understand. That way everyone's happy. IMO it's too much titting about opening 5 different forums just for a chinwag.

Err...you are aware there is a "view all new posts" option aren't you?