aberdeen-music

terrorists only newsworthy if they're muslim

framheim

or so it seems:

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=8&ArticleID=1806619

if these guys hadn't been white and middle class then surely this would've been front page news all over the country and a huge fuss would've been made of it. but no, they're just ex-bnp members so that's ok. sheesh.

and that honestly is about the highest profile news report i could find on the biggest chemical explosives haul in the uk.

Okay, I thought I had dreamt that had happened, but obviously not...

I don't know enough to comment - but the lack of coverage by even papers like the Independent is very, very surprising.

Is there anything on Indymedia, does anyone know?

i found out about this through indymedia, someone had reposted an article from the online paper 'first post' about this. so i went off in search of a proper news report on it and this was the best i could find.

Tell you peeps, there's a lot of bad vibes out there right now - I'm getting worried.

DZL

If you really think that the 'bad vibes' are just appearing out there now you're coming across as a tad naive :s

Theres bad vibes stretching their way back to the early A.D's that still haven't been sorted out.

I'm nae fussed. The only time i'm going to be worried is if i have to actually get involved myself. Until then though the idiots around the world can continue shooting themselves, its no skin off my nose.

but no, they're just ex-bnp members so that's ok....

That's another thing, why are they saying 'ex-'? One of them stood in the elections in May, and memberships run from Jan - Dec, so he must still be a member.

My favourite BNP story is the one about their first performance in Barking and Dagenham Council after they won 11 seats. Big fanfare, dramatic scenes outside, and they went and took their seats. During the meeting, their leader continually stood up and tried to ask questions, only to be told in no uncertain terms that he should have submitted them in writing first, and told to sit down. Then another one proposed an amendment to the Council's constitution to outlaw 'discrimination against the indigenous population'. Unfortunately out of the 11 new councillors, only one other was paying enough attention to raise his hand for the vote, and they lost...

If you really think that the 'bad vibes' are just appearing out there now you're coming across as a tad naive :s

Sorry chumly, I take exception to that remark, particularly as you know nothing whatsoever about me.

Old and cranky I may be, naive I ain't ;)

And you're being a tad presumptuous if you think I believe that 'bad vibes' are 'just appearing'.

What I'm alluding to, is that a lot of my liberal-minded, non-racist friends and acquaintances are now feeling like strangers in their own country and I'm hearing intolerant remarks from the most unlikely sources - and it's making my blood run cold.

What I'm worried about is a return of the disgusting 'p*ki bashing' (no offence intended) of the 70's and the race riots of the early 80's.

These two lulus and their DIY bomb kits have done nothing to allay those fears

DZL

Ps - glad you're nae fussed, just watch out for unattended luggage.

Sorry chumly, I take exception to that remark, particularly as you know nothing whatsoever about me.

Old and cranky I may be, naive I ain't ;)

And you're being a tad presumptuous if you think I believe that 'bad vibes' are 'just appearing'.

What I'm alluding to, is that a lot of my liberal-minded, non-racist friends and acquaintances are now feeling like strangers in their own country and I'm hearing intolerant remarks from the most unlikely sources - and it's making my blood run cold.

What I'm worried about is a return of the disgusting 'p*ki bashing' (no offence intended) of the 70's and the race riots of the early 80's.

These two lulus and their DIY bomb kits have done nothing to allay those fears

DZL

Ps - glad you're nae fussed, just watch out for unattended luggage.

Aye, thats just the way it came over in your post.

Also the other things you mentioned haven't gone away, they still happen on a daily basis in this country. There were actually race related riots in Leeds and Bradford a couple of years ago.

Over-hyped media involvement intensifies the 'racial' element in everything these days. When the media gets a grip and stops trying to put a racial or religious slant on everything i think we'll all be a little better off.

Is there anything on Indymedia' date=' does anyone know?[/quote']

There is very little out there, the Swappies did a stop-press & some of the newsblogs are running it from the source. Overall, the disparity in the reporting of this story and any that features suspected asian/muslim terorrists speaks volumes about the current state of the press IMO.

Also, another board carried this near laaughable response to an email from the BBC.

Dear ______,

Thank you for your email about the court appearance at Penine Magistrates of two men accused of possessing chemical explosives. It is indeed interesting. Unfortunately BBC TV news didn't know about the police find.

I would like to assure you the BBC takes very seriously its responsibility to report all issues fairly, accurately and impartially. This is as true of issues involving potential terror plots by former BNP activists or radical Islamists. The BBC has a long history of exposing the BNP and any past wrongdoing.

I have investigated how the story was missed. It appears a reporter from BBC Radio Lancashire investigated initial reports but the police "played it down". Our regional televison centre in in Manchester found out about the story only after it was reported in the Colne Times. By this time it was several days old. On investigation they discovered that reporting restrictions were in place which severely curtailed what could be said by the media.

Two arrested men are due to appear at Blackburn Crown Court on October 23rd, BBC TV News will attend the hearing.

Thank you for alerting us to this story.

Best wishes

Debby Moyse

Assistant to the Head of BBC TV News

At the same time, remember what the police did for the last couple of asian/muslim raids, ie called international press conferences & released far more info than was acceptable in the UK for overseas consumption. So much so that the New York Times had to block its reports to UK servers.

Another factual innaccuracy is that the claim that one of the suspects is an "ex-BNP" member is wrong. He stood for election in May/June this year & apparently, their memberships run from January to December. So his membership is current.

Hmmm!

i found out about this through indymedia, someone had reposted an article from the online paper 'first post' about this. so i went off in search of a proper news report on it and this was the best i could find.

How utterly bizzare. I would be inclined to suggest that maybe the story won't sell as much papers as MUSLIM BOMBMAKER ARRESTED hysteria - but you'd think at least one mainstream paper would pick up on it. I'm glad at least Indymedia had picked up on it - as much as I think Indymedia is dodgy, they've done the right thing in this case.

Snap. I've heard a few BNP sentiments from people at uni here who should really know better. It's possibly because the uni itself is rather right wing to begin with, but still, it's disturbing to hear people actually agreeing with the sentiments of the party.

I would be inclined to suggest that maybe the story won't sell as much papers as MUSLIM BOMBMAKER ARRESTED hysteria - but you'd think at least one mainstream paper would pick up on it.

To make things worse, at the same time, the Sun was running an outrage about muslim strife in "Riot-torn Windsor!"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006460631,00.html

Aggree, the amount of people spouting support/giving creedence to the BNP is seriously worrying.

as much as I think Indymedia is dodgy

I almost don't want to ask, but why do you think Indymedia is dodgy?

I would say it suffers from an incredible slant towards it's target market (much the same as News Corp's various outlets) and from it's open editorial policy but I don't think there's anything else going on there.

Another report recently in the mainstream papers was about the kidnapping of Molly Campbell by her Pakistani father and fears that she would be forced into an arranged marriage at the age of twelve. Now according to this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age, girls can't legally marry at the age of twelve in Pakistan.

Isn't the worry that the marriage will be arranged now and then when she can legally marry she'll be forced into it?

Isn't the worry that the marriage will be arranged now and then when she can legally marry she'll be forced into it?

well it would've been had it not been seemingly invented by her slightly bizarre mother according to interviews with misbah, her brothers and family friends. it was interesting how despite her desire to be called misbah many uk papers(mainly of the redtopped variety) continued to refer to her as molly.

I only heard the BNP bomber story due to the information being passed onto me by another family member who found it on the internet.

I thought myself too synical at first but today in the indepdent, 'minister calls for veil wearing teaching assistant to be sacked'. Irrespective of the in's and out's of the debate it apepears improper for a government minister to call for the sacking of a teaching assisatnt.

Then we had racially motivated riots in West London (i think it was). A day later, Jack Straw writes stuff in a newspaper about veil wearing.

It does appear there is now as much as a press strategy to discredit the wider Islamic population in an attempt to win support for government terrorism policy.

My belief is, if nobody bothered listening to racist views, they wouldn't be presented as serious views, unlike they are now. I particularly blame Politicians, mainly in Labour and Conservative by giving into pressures from Murdoch press to have a 'tougher' immigration and asylum policies. We all know that in England such terms are just a polite way of tapping into the populations racial predjudices. There are serious to debates to be had over these issues but in practice usuaully are little more than a polite way of being racist.