aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

maybe im simply bored of the aberdeen music scene

I certainly am, there's next to dick all that excities me about going to see gigs for the sake of it nowadays.

Aside from SPD (which is still a source of much gritfication), I prefer more sedate activities in my evenings (anyone for badminton? chess?), though perhaps this is my age setting in.....

being unshakeably tight as a nun. could do it with eyes shut. strings breaking yet still pulling it off admirably minus dodgy bits etc etc

having a great sound for what they are doing (generally having great gear and knowing how to use it in different types of venue. i.e. pa/non pa/crap pa, big venue/small venue, high roofs etc etc) a great example of this are EYE from dundee, in all the times i have enjoyed them in different venues, i have never been able to fault their sound.

ability, being able to play without bum notes, mutes, dropped beats, off vocals etc etc goes without saying really. macrocosmica were a great example of this

tunes. having the tunes with the character/charisma to win people over/get them into the genre. i.e. punter saying "i hate post rcok/instrumental music, but xxxx were actually fucking excellent at it and i actually enjoyed that"

i never really used to look it like that until i started going/seeing to gigs in other cities

Ver well put but i disagree with a few bits and pieces and i also think you've missed a few important things.

Sound is subjective to every individual. Remember, whats sounds good to you and Mr X in the crowd is also probably murdering someone elses hearing.

Ability is subjective, its what you make of a live performance at the end of the day, i've seen Eddie Vedder forget the words to Given To Fly and he's twice the musician/lyricist than the folks you mentioned, in my opinion, and he's most definately 'there'. He recovered well and i didn't feel let down or hard-done by it at all. Its more about being a versatile performer and have the flexibility to recover from your mistakes than having an actual musical 'ability'.

Gear does NOT make a band. I've seen bands with amazing gear sound shite and bands with shite gear sound and play amazing. Its as you said, being adaptable to your environment and knowing how to shape your sound to get the best out of what you're working with that is the key to live performance.

Totally agree on the tunes front myself, but having said that i would say that a lot of bands get signed to reasonably big label and do world tours on an album with only one instantly recognisable song on it, We Are Scientists in my opinion have done that. People will pay to see one song and people will buy albums/singles/EP's for one song. Its less about how many 'catchy' songs that you've got and more about how you present them or shape your live set to get the best out of your songs.

You also need to be able to maintain a good fanbase,generate affordable and high quality merchandise, have good marketing skills and a knowledge of how to promote your band (as in many instances the promoters won't) and you also need to have a good idea of how to reach your niche market and what mediums are best to do so, be that through Myspace/Bebo et al. or through forums, radio play, fanzines, word of mouth, magazine exposure etc. After all, being in a band these days is also a lot like running a business.

being unshakeably tight as a nun. could do it with eyes shut. strings breaking yet still pulling it off admirably minus dodgy bits etc etc

having a great sound for what they are doing (generally having great gear and knowing how to use it in different types of venue. i.e. pa/non pa/crap pa, big venue/small venue, high roofs etc etc) a great example of this are EYE from dundee, in all the times i have enjoyed them in different venues, i have never been able to fault their sound.

ability, being able to play without bum notes, mutes, dropped beats, off vocals etc etc goes without saying really. macrocosmica were a great example of this

tunes. having the tunes with the character/charisma to win people over/get them into the genre. i.e. punter saying "i hate post rcok/instrumental music, but xxxx were actually fucking excellent at it and i actually enjoyed that"

maybe its being picky having seen a lot of bands/acts in recent years/maybe its being a cynical bastard/maybe im simply bored of the aberdeen music scene/maybe i know absolutely fuck all etc etc

i never really used to look it like that until i started going/seeing to gigs in other cities and im sure there are lots of other things too, but surely this gets the gist of where i am coming from??!?

It's a nice idea, but I don't think I've ever seen a band who consistently hit a home run.

Surely the quest for the 'perfect performance' is a goal that should never be reached?

Your statement about gear hits a note with me though. Too many bands just don't give a shit about what they're playing with. If you're serious about music, you should play some half decent equipment and know how it works.

After all, being in a band these days is also a lot like running a business.

It is running a business when a certain 'status' is acieved and who would want their business to be not that good? A baker selling one good pie in every five wont last too long... Shite analogy I ken but you get my drift. :)

I reckon when it boils down to it most on this thread will actually agree...

Now I'm off to see a band from the States that will piss all over the local bands ;)

It is running a business when a certain 'status' is acieved and who would want their business , well, not that good? A baker selling one good pie in every five wont last too long... Shite analogy I ken but you get my drift. :)

I disagree, i think you have to have good business sense in a band even at 'grass roots' levels as generating a fanbase requires that along with having good songs etc and getting people to buy your merch at local level requires a lot more effort than in the upper echelons of music.

I don't really understand the rest of the first sentance and the baker analogy does make sense but there are always exceptions, like R.E.M, their last three albums have been pretty poor in their musical output compared to previous albums and yet people in their millions still buy them because their fanbase is so strong.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I certainly am, there's next to dick all that excities me about going to see gigs for the sake of it nowadays.

The piss-up afterwards at whichever Fortress is open on the night.

I'm the same, I pretty much go to gigs for the social aspect more than anything else......

like R.E.M, their last three albums have been pretty poor in their musical output compared to previous albums and yet people in their millions still buy them because their fanbase is so strong.

thats terrible tho. whats more important, selling albums because they are great and you have done a good job, challenged yourself, yadda yadda. or millions of people buying your albums because they liked some of your older stuff???

is that what you aspire to???

thats terrible tho. whats more important, selling albums because they are great and you have done a good job, challenged yourself, yadda yadda. or millions of people buying your albums because they liked some of your older stuff???

is that what you aspire to???

Of course thats not what i personally aspire to, i only used them as an example after all. But i'm also sure that they are very happy with what they've done musically, just because i don't rate their last three albums doesn't mean that they don't and millions of people still buy their albums so some of them at least must like them too. As i said before, everyones goals in music are different.

nonsense. and tbh i think bands like eska and james orr complex are pretty down your street going by what you put on and state that you listen to

I'll have to check them out, as for your other posts, well have to say I kinda half-agree with you now and see where you are coming from now you've said your bit. I still think there are a lot of really good bands in aberdeen. The bands you are talking about most definatelly weren't always as together as they are now and it'll have taken a lot of work to get where they are that is why they are touring more now.

I find watching a band get better as they play is one of the most exciting things about watching them live, and there are a lot of bands that have won me round as I see them get better. Hopefully the local bands will be able to get good enough to win you over.

Guest bluesxman
Now I'm off to see a band from the States that will piss all over the local bands ;)

And said band from the States had a howler during one song where words were forgotten, still ranks as one of my new favourite gigs ever though. :up:

Mistakes happen, who gives a shit and unless it's particularly noticeable like forgetting words, I bet not many audiences will even realise unless they know the music intimately, which let's face it is unlikely for local acts since no-one bothers going to see local bands these days. Waste of time apparently.

If there is a local 'scene' as is often debated, it's suicidal if you ask me.

And said band from the States had a howler during one song where words were forgotten, still ranks as one of my new favourite gigs ever though. :up:

Mistakes happen, who gives a shit and unless it's particularly noticeable like forgetting words, I bet not many audiences will even realise unless they know the music intimately, which let's face it is unlikely for local acts since no-one bothers going to see local bands these days. Waste of time apparently.

If there is a local 'scene' as is often debated, it's suicidal if you ask me.

Whilst watching said howler this thread went though my mind and I had to laugh. Big difference between making mistakes and just not being good enough though. Errors like The Handsome Family's more often than not endears a band to an audience. I would also assume they do don't fuck up that often.

As for the business side of things and the use of the word 'status'. I merely refer to a point when a band themselves decide they need to be more aware of admin etc... Could be a first gig could be a hundredth. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned. This was one of the major topics at the Scottish Executives music summit a couple of weeks ago, funnily enough: 'grass roots business awareness for musicians, managers, promoters etc'

(the rest of my shockingly worded sentence has been ammended by the way Phil. I had typing blindness))

Guest bluesxman
Whilst watching said howler this thread went though my mind and I had to laugh. Big difference between making mistakes and just not being good enough though. Errors like The Handsome Family's more often than not endears a band to an audience. I would also assume they do don't fuck up that often.

Personally I don't mind mistakes, I usually find them quite amusing and endearing, even more so from established touring bands.

What dictates a band being 'good enough'? Songs, technical ability, stage presence? Sound quality is often dictated by the sound person who doesn't necessarily know what should be more prominent in the sound set up and local bands often end up with a ten minute soundcheck because the touring band arrive late and spend an hour getting the sound just right on the rack tom. Ridiculous.

This thread is going in circles, it's all based on personal feeling about what different people expect from a gig and the fact that there aren't many local bands who cater for certain tastes. The only slots that matter really in terms of exposure are the touring supports for bands that generate some interest and local promoters seem to have their own preferences as to who to give the slots to, I'm not so sure it's based on ability so much as the promoters personal taste and friends half the time. Doesn't give different local bands many options in terms of which gigs to play really.

I have to disagree here. Good sound comes from source. If it's shit to start with, all the engineer can give you is modified shit.

very true you cant polish a turd!! anywho only ever seen 3 bands in aberdeen that i enjoyed 100% that bein hot mangu,edgar prais and deadloss!!

and everyone ive asked down here in glasgow that actually goes to gigs has heard of 2 outta the 3 so they must be doin something right!

Guest bluesxman
I have to disagree here. Good sound comes from source. If it's shit to start with, all the engineer can give you is modified shit.

Well of course you would say that. I'm talking in terms of which guitar should be more prominent etc. That can't always be determined by the house sound engineer surely?

I think its funny that some people think being a 'tight' band is the holy grail. I'd much rather watch some shambolic mess of a band with good songs than yet another math/post rock band teaching me about time signatures and dynamics.

I think that's a very good point I and I agree. I'd rather watch a band that can barely play their intruments but are playing a great song rather have to put up with slap bass solos, astro jazz interludes or terrible harmony guitar solos that pad out a poor excuse for a song.

I think its funny that some people think being a 'tight' band is the holy grail. I'd much rather watch some shambolic mess of a band with good songs than yet another math/post rock band teaching me about time signatures and dynamics.
I think that's a very good point I and I agree. I'd rather watch a band that can barely play their intruments but are playing a great song rather have to put up with slap bass solos, astro jazz interludes or terrible harmony guitar solos that pad out a poor excuse for a song.

Both very true. One of the best songs by a Scottish band ever is Falling and Laughing by Orange Juice and on it's single recording it has a really bad bum note on the bass immediately after the chorus, but who would give two hoots!? It's not like it ruins the song.

Playing in different time signatures and using dynamics have nothing to do with being tight. Being tight is about playing as a cohesive unit. AC/DC are generally considered tight, no "weird" time signatures or subtle dynamics there.

Guest DustyDeviada
Both very true. One of the best songs by a Scottish band ever is Falling and Laughing by Orange Juice and on it's single recording it has a really bad bum note on the bass immediately after the chorus, but who would give two hoots!? It's not like it ruins the song.

Plenty of duff playing on Bob Dylan records, Visions of Johanna and Like a Rolling Stone to name but two, but still two of the greatest tracks ever IMO.