aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

• Nobody really tries hard promoting gigs any more?

so untrue!

myself and gavin work so hard on the zoghurt nights at the tunnels. Its always well promoted and well attended. Remember your one? It was an all local line up (cept Captain Kate but they we're originaly from the deen) and it was packed - all the bands got paid a good amount and we all left with a big smile on our face.

Also Underflow put on a pretty good night with great local/Scottish 'indy' bands. Well i say 'indy' bands they are alot more interesting than boaring middle of the road wannabe nme front pagers. Holy Folks played one of their nights and its one we'd like to play again soon!

I dont even need to mention how much hard work dizzy storm put into their nights.

so there!

And the next gig you'll attend is this:

mooringspostersmaller.jpg

dont see Onion Terror on the bill :p

You should come cheak us out too maxi!

Nobody really tries hard promoting gigs any more?

Some people do, it's probably not fair to say that everyone doesn't try. From what I can see though, it tends to be the people who adopt the less is more attitude to promoting gigs that really shine through.

And don't get me started on people who expect the bands to do the promoting.

There are no local billed gigs?

Might be part of it. I don't think people want to pay £5/6 to see two local bands and a random, out of town band who don't even fit with the supports when they can go see busy, well promoted gigs with local artists for £2/3.

Speaking of local bands, I saw a band in our union here who reminded me of Dedalus in their prime :(

There is so much i could post about this but i dont want to get into an angry rant this time of night! i wont get started either cloud but it pisses me off too.

Tell me about it :\

I do believe that certain elements of Aberdeen believe themselves to be money collectors rather than promoters, though. It wouldn't be so bad if they got the promotional material made and just got the bands to hand it out, but to expect bands to do it all just reeks of blatant exploitation to me.

• Upvote 1

DJ for hire, record "modification" a speciality

I DJ and put it to the audience to vote the records which meet with the drumstick of doom, I tried it on Peter Gabriels 7" of Sledgehammer and it smashed up a treat, I also hit things with drumsticks and speak shite - this show is probably not really suitable for minors.

It's an interesting concept that somewhere in Aberdeen there might be someone super secretly inventing something incredible.

Although judging by the current influx of bands, it ain't looking pretty.

The Folk/Country and Noise scenes are kicking ass right now though. Lots of lovely promotion being done.

APPEAL FOR NOISY THINGS - I need things to hit

I am doing something which incorporates percussion instruments, if you have any old drums, pans, xylophones or things that sound good when hit, and I can collect them free of charge, give me a shout, cheers Biz.

I dont know where to begin....i really don't. But i will try.

Lets not forget that Aberdeen has got its fair share of good bands and they dont need name dropped.

But yes, in general nothing new is coming through and i can lay some blame to poor music publications like NME and Kerrang! that has diluded kids into what is good music and what sort of music they 'should' be making/listening to.

Also maybe because of the lack of quality control in Aberdeen its far too easy for people to get gigs meaning bands are of a poorer standard and will remain poor with no real 'goals' being aimed for.

I still think that the venues in Aberdeen are not being utilised properly. I think segregation in venues and not the unity that we get should be in place, none of our venues has a solid identity to what they are. Im all for musical diversity within our venues but each venue i feel should cater for different types of bands.

I did make a big list of what sort of identity i would like to see each venue create for itself, but it was moronic and totally to my personal tastes and feelings!

For the future, lets get a NXNE festival here (basically a south by south west rip off, north by north east, see what i did there? eh eh eh?) I think aberdeen is set up quite nicely for this idea and infact if anyone has a decent brain for working out figures and the likes its an idea i would like to see discussed. This might give some local kids an idea of what to aim for in levels of creativeness and professionality.

Some people do, it's probably not fair to say that everyone doesn't try. From what I can see though, it tends to be the people who adopt the less is more attitude to promoting gigs that really shine through.

eh? are you saying that those who do fuck all are getting the most attention? tis a very strangely worded couple of sentences there.

Might be part of it. I don't think people want to pay 5/6 to see two local bands and a random, out of town band who don't even fit with the supports when they can go see busy, well promoted gigs with local artists for 2/3.

Speaking of local bands, I saw a band in our union here who reminded me of Dedalus in their prime :(

i don't think that pricing is the problem at all. if you've got a decent bill and a fair price then there's no reason it shouldn't do well if it's promoted properly. although sometimes people just stay in.

i think there's some awesome bands in aberdeen who are doing different stuff and getting their names out there. they've all been around for a few years though. it'd be nice to see some new band come through and totally blow everyone away. like maps :p

*sigh* i couldn't resist that, i can see this thread becoming one of those threads where everyone just plugs their own band as being ace. or bigs up their mates.

what we need is ideas. bands seem to be short of ideas these days and too caught up in pleasing everyone. fuck that. marginalise yourself. make music that someone will hate but that you love. push yourself and your boundaries. bands need to make music that fucks with peoples heads and grabs em by the balls. we need bands that we can argue about, that we can really really believe in and who make us grin from ear to ear whenever they play. DO IT NOW! STOP READING AND PICK UP A FUCKING INSTRUMENT!

:D

i'm not saying maps do this and maybe we're guilty of it as much as anyone else. we love the music we make and that's all that comes into consideration. however there is talk of a side project...

Guest Mr Blastcap
I dont know where to begin....i really don't. But i will try.

Lets not forget that Aberdeen has got its fair share of good bands and they dont need name dropped.

But yes, in general nothing new is coming through and i can lay some blame to poor music publications like NME and Kerrang! that has diluded kids into what is good music and what sort of music they 'should' be making/listening to.

Also maybe because of the lack of quality control in Aberdeen its far too easy for people to get gigs meaning bands are of a poorer standard and will remain poor with no real 'goals' being aimed for.

I still think that the venues in Aberdeen are not being utilised properly. I think segregation in venues and not the unity that we get should be in place, none of our venues has a solid identity to what they are. Im all for musical diversity within our venues but each venue i feel should cater for different types of bands.

I did make a big list of what sort of identity i would like to see each venue create for itself, but it was moronic and totally to my personal tastes and feelings!

For the future, lets get a NXNE festival here (basically a south by south west rip off, north by north east, see what i did there? eh eh eh?) I think aberdeen is set up quite nicely for this idea and infact if anyone has a decent brain for working out figures and the likes its an idea i would like to see discussed. This might give some local kids an idea of what to aim for in levels of creativeness and professionality.

awesome, you are reaching "phase III" in the being in a band in Aberdeen process. chill, and listen to some bad metal!

Guest bluesxman
there seems to be a distinct lack of decent bands in aberdeen atm. are all of the talented people working any projects that might see some light of day soon?

please say yes

Who are the 'talented people'? What type of project is it you want to see?

Guest bluesxman

What goals being achieved dictate a band to be 'better' than others out of interest?

Segregation of venues is likely to make things worse in terms of people discovering new bands. Sometimes a band can be discovered by being on a bill with a more established band. Although I do agree that support slots seem to be quite randomly offered at times with no real thought to suitability of support band to main act. Sometimes it seems it's a case of 'we need a support, they will do'.

A festival such as you speak of would be great as long as it wasn't organised and subject to a line up purely dictated by self-declared taste makers of the Aberdeen area. A decent festival NEEDS diversity across the different stages, makes it more interesting.

I dont think these much exactly wrong with the aberdeen music scene that isnt wrong with any other city?In my opinion.However, im open to anything so i may be bad judge.

There arent as many good bands in Aberdeen as there could and should be.And yes there is a lot of SHITE.But its the same elsewhere, Edinburgh and Glasgow and London along with most other places have TONS AND TONS more bad bands compared to the good ones.But they have a higher amount of bands full stop and thus the ratio is better.

Plus, from experience of trying to book the more well known local bands, a lot of them are trying to play Aberdeen less to get out of the city.For example, two of my favourite Aberdeen bands at the moment are Copy Ha ho and Right hand Left. Both of whom I rarely see in Aberdeen coz they are always out of town gigging and making a good name for themselves elsewhere.

Weve played Aberdeen twice as a band in the last three months (not counting solo / 2 x accoustic band gigs).No anti - aberdeen reason apart from were trying to be a bit more selective with gigs so were not over-exposing ourselves.

So as a result, the venues have to fill their venues during the week somehow, so undoubtedly your going to get a fair amount of nights where the bands arent the most amazing bands you could see and occasionally just shite!

I think Aberdeen is healthy, our Thursdays at Snafu are doing good and we have an out of town band every week (with a fitting local support) for 3. Giles Sister Resist night is totally underrated and well priced too. Pomoters like Sharon,Rebbeca at tunnels, Kabuki, jamesy moshulu) who all contribute to putting good gigs on and make the scene good.

I think we should be supporting the good bands who have potential (they know who) and the nights and promoters who make an effort consistently for the scene ( again they know).

"For the future, lets get a NXNE festival here"

I totally agree with Project Ven Hell on this.Go North was good last year for the first time and its not coming back so all the venues should work together to do something! plus if all the bands colaborated with any contacts they had and worked together to help each other out everyine could benefit.

"DO IT NOW! STOP READING AND PICK UP A FUCKING INSTRUMENT!" dave officer

I agree too.The time wasted in moaning and reading this thread bands could be started and songs written instead of negative banter!Plus if the scene annoys people so much surely they could use their dismay to form their own band and challenge the stuff they see as deriviative.

As for that Maps band , god what a racket! :laughing: kidding

good beards though

What goals being achieved dictate a band to be 'better' than others out of interest?

Just from a quality control issue' date=' if a poor band that find it easy to get certain gigs and keep playing them, they might not get much better missing out on maybe achieving things like support slots with larger bands had they progressed....no goals in my eyes dictate if a band is better than another.

Segregation of venues is likely to make things worse in terms of people discovering new bands. Sometimes a band can be discovered by being on a bill with a more established band. Although I do agree that support slots seem to be quite randomly offered at times with no real thought to suitability of support band to main act. Sometimes it seems it's a case of 'we need a support, they will do'.

I agree about the support slot issue totally. What i was meaning about segregation was more to do with each venue catering for its own brands of music creating its own identity as a venue, it might be a good thing it might be bad, in most other cities you can goto venues and know pretty much what is gonna be on in them.....which i do suppose eradicates the element of suprise somewhat for discovering new things, but might lead to fuller venues if a regular crowd can be brought in not just on band names alone.