aberdeen-music

Extras

delboy

thought last nights episode was the best yet...

chris martin acting like a twat

richard briers losing it

but the best bit was when gervais, merchant and ronnie corbett were hauled into the office in front of the head of the BAFTA's like naughty schoolboys 'it was only a bit of whizz'

and moira stuart getting searched by the police

marvellous stuff!

thought last nights episode was the best yet...

richard briers losing it

but the best bit was when gervais, merchant and ronnie corbett were hauled into the office in front of the head of the BAFTA's like naughty schoolboys 'it was only a bit of whizz'

and moira stuart getting searched by the police

marvellous stuff!

I'm starting to dislike it now.

Andy doesn't like the sitcom, he is getting slagged for it and bad reviews and he is getting the blame for it yet he continues:S

The plot just kinda makes no sense at all. It's still got the funny bits though.

I'm starting to dislike it now.

Andy doesn't like the sitcom, he is getting slagged for it and bad reviews and he is getting the blame for it yet he continues:S

The plot just kinda makes no sense at all. It's still got the funny bits though.

I'm still into it, but it's REALLY downbeat this time round.

There's not enough of Ashley Jensen either and Stephen Merchant's agent is just TOO much of a cariacature and I wish he'd piss off.

I thought Daniel Radcliffe was utter shite last week - the boy is such a poor actor that he can't even parody himself successfully.

Loved Bowie's "Little Chubby Loser" song - especially when he got the audience to join in.

I'll catch last nights epi on Sky+ tonight while Mrs Diesel is out on the razz.

DZL

Guest DustyDeviada

Yeah, "acting". ;)

I actually hated the Bowie song, personally I found it completely contrived and implausible that Bowie would just turn round to a grand piano that just happened to be sitting right next to him in a VIP area and write a song taking the piss out of someone he had just met.

Still a good show, but I feel that the bits for big name celebrities are being shoe-horned in.

For better entertainment turn to ITV 2 at ten after Mitchell and Webb for Entourage and the American version of The Office, both superb.

I've only got into it recently and have borrowed the first series off my mate which I'm working through. Is this the 2nd one now? I think it's an absolute touch of class. Watched it last night in the pub with the sound down and subtitles but still laughed. Yes, it is a strange pub. I thought last week's one was excellent with the Harry Potter guy. You do have to suspend belief a bit in this series more so than in the first. I love the way that every celebrity is portrayed as an egotistical delusional wanker (in all the ones I've seen anyway).

Oh, and I'd marry Maggie in a second.

Extras is always hit and miss, it too often follows a generic formula but when it doesn't it can be very funny and entertaining.

Personally I would have liked to see Andy's sitcom being succesful in this series to see if Gervais and Merchant could try and be funny without using characters that aren't meant to be pathetic losers.

The characters of Andy's agent and "Barry from eastenders" are used too much in this series, they were perfect in series one, now they are just exploited.

I think it's brilliant, I think the fact that it's not only funny but can also be genuinely sad at points really sets it aside (the scene in the first episode where Andy realises all the people laughing at the sitcom he's worked so hard at are people wearing 'comedy catchphrase' t-shirts was really moving).

I also absolutely love all the stuff Ricky and Steve have done with Karl Pilkington. I listen to recordings of their old XFM shows and the podcasts almost daily. It's absolute gold.

Guest DustyDeviada
It has lost much of the subtlety of the first series, but remains extremely funny. Gervais has OBVIOUSLY cribbed a lot from Larry David and "Curb..."; set-pieces like the malfunctioning toy at the BAFTAs, and giving money to the tramp, etc.

But I still laugh uproariously.

AKM

It's good, but not a patch on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

That said, Ronnie Corbett getting caught snorting coke was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

Guest bluesxman
I also absolutely love all the stuff Ricky and Steve have done with Karl Pilkington. I listen to recordings of their old XFM shows and the podcasts almost daily. It's absolute gold.

One of the special features on Ricky Gervais's 'Politics' stand up DVD is him interviewing Karl Pilkington. Very funny and the man isn't actually doing anything except be himself.

Guest bluesxman

After last night's episode, is anyone else noticing a continuing vein of milking Andy's apparent gay prejudices? The sitcom writing episode with the gay bloke last series, Ian McKellen episode this series...does it actually show genuine homophobia on the part of Ricky Gervais? The Office I'm sure used similar tactics. If it's an attempt to highlight homophobia by depicting it, surely they can't feel the need to do it that often, or are they just getting short of ideas? Still intermittently amusing though, Maggie still being the best character by far.

After last night's episode, is anyone else noticing a continuing vein of milking Andy's apparent gay prejudices? The sitcom writing episode with the gay bloke last series, Ian McKellen episode this series...does it actually show genuine homophobia on the part of Ricky Gervais? The Office I'm sure used similar tactics. If it's an attempt to highlight homophobia by depicting it, surely they can't feel the need to do it that often, or are they just getting short of ideas? Still intermittently amusing though, Maggie still being the best character by far.

Agreed on both points.

Maggie is a saviour to the show.

The part with his agent asking Maggie out was classic.

extras was really good last night. i don't think they're portraying andy as homophobic just as a normal 'bloke' who is perhaps uncomfortable with people thinking he's gay. i think it's an honest portrayal and shouldn't be caught up in (and it's strange for me to say this as i'm normally first to attack those using this) political correctness. it's funny and certainly not offensive.

the bit with ian mckellen explaining acting was brilliant. as was maggie and the magic marker.

mitchell and webb look was ok last night, still far too hit and miss though. german numberwang was shit. the funniest bits are the ones when they're playing themselves.

Guest bluesxman
extras was really good last night. i don't think they're portraying andy as homophobic just as a normal 'bloke' who is perhaps uncomfortable with people thinking he's gay. i think it's an honest portrayal and shouldn't be caught up in (and it's strange for me to say this as i'm normally first to attack those using this) political correctness. it's funny and certainly not offensive.

Yeah that would be fair enough as a one off plot device but the point I'm trying to make is that they seem to keep repeating that same portrayal.

The agent trying the smooth guy's advised way to chat up Maggie and getting the basis right but expressed in the completely wrong wording was superb, as was the aforementioned sparkling water bit.