aberdeen-music

A Tune-a-Day, the Kitchen Cynics Way

Alan Cynic

• 2 months later...
Guest DustyDeviada

Well, just finished listening to March and I would say that it is the best offering so far overall, and I'm not just saying that because I'm on it, in a roundabout sort of way.

In fact, I would say the song that I was involved with suffers by being sandwiched between two outstanding tracks. Bailie Fordyce would be my pick for the best song from all the CDs so far, outstanding. How many songs make you want to go out and do some research on local history?

Track 20 is great as well, a live track with some fabulous guitar playing, a lyrical highpoint when Alan sings "she came ower fae Aberdour" and the haggis song is brilliant too.

Really enjoyed the Ivor Cutler song about pubes as well :up:

Many thanks, Dusty! I like that one you mention too ('Boyndlie's Braes'....it's my simple tune to traditional words). It's the ony song I've managed to learn, due to being so busy recording, and I'm doing it tonight at the Tunnels.

I've a feeling you'll like 2 songs on the April CD...one is about Dr Moir, the dissectionist who was forced to hide under one of those table graves in St Nicholas kirkyard, and the other is about the murder of the Sheriff of Kincardineshire (he gets boiled up a s broth):up:

• 1 month later...
Guest DustyDeviada

Been off in Hay on Wye seeing Mr Knopfler, but is there anything better to be waiting to greet you on your return than the new Kitchen Cynics CD? I don't think so.

By the way, I meant to ask about April, did Boddamers REALLY hang a monkey? I thought that was Hartlepool folk.

Apparently the Boddamers got there first.....the story is that a French ship got wrecked, and the Boddam folk though the monkey was a french spy, but the facts (??) are that a ship DID get wrecked, with a monkey being the sole survivor. Salvage rights could only be claimed if there were no survivors, and the Boddamers weren't sure if the monkey counted or not, so they hanged it, just in case.

An English music Hall entertainer heard the tale, and made it into a song about Hartlepool characters, so they have claimed the dubious monkey-hingin' glory :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DustyDeviada
I thought the monkey hanging story was adequately explained in the CD accompanying pamphlet, pay attention Dusty....:up:

I tend to take the CD out to the car, the pamphlet and sleeve get left in the house somewhere, then "tidied" away somewhere by Mrs Deviada. She's learned not to throw things out though (after an unfortunate incident in 2003 when she managed to "tidy" two Mark Knopfler concert tickets into the bin) so I'll be able to put the full collection together at the end of the year after I've had a rake around the house for all the bits.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can I just say a big congratulations to Mr Cynic on the completion of this mammoth project. I have to be honest and say I've running a bit behind and haven't listened to November or December yet. But if they are anything like the previous volumes I am sure they are great.

Alan, any plans to release a "Best Of"? Obviously they were all goo, but I am sure there is one killer album to come from the picks of the bunch.

It's difficult to remember all the great tracks without going back through the discs, but there were a few great ones in March, Baillie whatshisname, and for me the satnd out track of the year was the one with the pub crawl. Total class, although Mrs Bigsby did complain that she really didn't want to hear about Alan peeing. :)

Cheers, all!!!!

Being totally knackered the idea of gigging doesn't grab me (at least not 'til March, I reckon!), but I'm going to re-record my favourite ones gradually, for the next CD (I've already done 3 new songs, and am busy redoing 'Jack Longshanks' with Duncan on cello).

I might also re-record 'The Carousel Hare' which has been supposed to come out on a Camera Obscura (Aus) comp for a couple of years now.

Apolgies to everyone who got a 'paper' box....Prontaprint only had enough card for 15 (must've done loads of Xmas cards, I reckon).