aberdeen-music

A Tune-a-Day, the Kitchen Cynics Way

Alan Cynic

In an attempt to raise money for dry rot treatment (to his flat, not to his body!), the Kitchen Cynics' Alan Davidson is going to attempt a 'Tune-a-Day' (the Kitchen Cynics Way!).

He guarantees to produce a song or tune every day in 2007, with a CD-R finished, and mailed to subscribers every month.

The CDs will be limited to one per subscriber, and if only 2 people are interested, then only 2 will be produced (plus one for Alan).

Each cover will feature an old photo, from the album of Alan's late grandmother.

The cost will be 30 pounds or 50 US dollars (inc p&p), working out at less than £3 per CD!

If you want to subscribe, contact Alan at kitchencynics@ecosse.net sometime soon.

No subscriptions will be taken after Christmas 2006

Nah....you'd be more than welcome to join in! On days when I am tired, or ill it might just be short guitar loops, but on normal days it'll be a proper song or a fully worked-out tune. If, for any reason I have to be away from home (and I won't have enough money to go far) then I'll take my small travel guitar and a mini-disc recorder to make sure I record something on that day. I'm hoping that the only thing which will stop me will be death (although I sincerely hope it doesn't!!!).X-(

origami birds

Alan, ill definitely subscribe. and, like the holy folks, welfare mothers would be totally honoured to help out should it be needed - perhaps with some newborn baby sound samples?

what your suggesting reminds me of the consequences of making an origami bird every single day for a year... which is mighty good luck, i believe.

Alan, ill definitely subscribe. and, like the holy folks, welfare mothers would be totally honoured to help out should it be needed - perhaps with some newborn baby sound samples?

what your suggesting reminds me of the consequences of making an origami bird every single day for a year... which is mighty good luck, i believe.

That'd be great....maybe I could have different guests on different months....and the new-born baby would be perfect for January! (Now, where can I get a near-dead voice for December!?!!)

I reckon we should join forces to write a musical about origami......all together now..."Crease is the word!!"

(it'd probably fold after a few weeks though :( )

near dead voice

That'd be great....maybe I could have different guests on different months....and the new-born baby would be perfect for January! (Now, where can I get a near-dead voice for December!?!!)

I reckon we should join forces to write a musical about origami......all together now..."Crease is the word!!"

(it'd probably fold after a few weeks though :( )

a near-dead ivor cutler sample in a kitchen cynics christmas song, would be priceless (maybe)

but you might want to run the year backwards, and get death out of the way first?

Count me in for a subscription!

Sounds ace, if not a wee bit knackering!!

Incidently, Kurt Wagner of Lambchop attempted the same thing a few years back (don't think he had dry rot, though!) -

"The origins of this concept," explains Kurt, "are rooted in the idea of writing a song per day over extended periods of time that varied from weeks at a time to months in succession. This lasted from the summer of 2002 through the winter of 2003. My idea was to simply sit down and write one complete song each day. This sounded easier than it turned out to be, but the process allowed for the opportunity to make certain creative decisions quickly and decisively, thereby keeping things fresh and, for the most part, short. It was one of the most enjoyable creative periods of my life. For the first time I had the freedom of uninterrupted time to try this. Some days things happened very quickly, and some days they moved incredibly slowly. I found the best results formed themselves quickly, and rarely was I able to come back to ideas at a latter date and have any success in changing or refining them. By April 2003 I ended up with a butt load of material, of which a small percentage is represented on these two records."

http://www.bseliger.de/lambchop-e.html

Steven...haven't seen the brochure yet, but I'll get one tomorrow at some point...I'm sure it'll be fine, and thanks again for doing it!!!!

french_disko....Thanks for that quote! I'm in total agreement with Kurt's bit about keeping things short and fresh. I don't usually 'fine-tune' songs for ages, just bash 'em out and hope they're OK!!

Guest Giles Walker

Yeah damn right!

If you want to chuck a guitar loop my way i could make some godawful din with it using my (very primitive) sampler, various sound affects records and turntables.

Count me in on the subscription though