aberdeen-music

FAO Top Gear Fans - Hammond in critical condition after crash

Chris

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he's featured on many excellent TV shows in the last few years and is a well liked and respected presenter. Almost everyone in my office watches Top Gear every week' date=' whether they are interested in cars or not, and all of them have been talking about this today. There's also the fact that the BBC, SKY and ITV all employed him at one time or another so they're going to be keen to report the condition of one of their own.

So there's some reasons why.[/quote']

Thanks for clearing that up.

Because he's featured on many excellent TV shows in the last few years and is a well liked and respected presenter. Almost everyone in my office watches Top Gear every week' date=' whether they are interested in cars or not, and all of them have been talking about this today. There's also the fact that the BBC, SKY and ITV all employed him at one time or another so they're going to be keen to report the condition of one of their own.

So there's some reasons why.[/quote']

Also because he was injured in the sensational circumstances of a high speed crash - generating debate such as "are people on TV taking too much risks to entertain? etc. cue Steve Irwin comparison - but mainly because he is well known and well liked.

I wouldnt mourn for someone I dont know but I do have basic human compassion and feel for his family, as I would for anyones family in such tragic circumstances. Whether that be a TV personality injured in a crash, innocent victims of war seen on the news or someone killed in a road accident that I read about in a local paper. You cant spend all your time feeling bad for people but if you dont feel any sense of compassion for other people when you hear about their tragedy, whether you know them or not, then I think that is quite sad. The fact that he is a well liked celebrity doesn't make it any more or any less tragic, it just means you hear everything about it for the reasons stated above.

"BAGHDAD (AFP) - At least 6' date='599 civilians were killed across war-torn

Iraq in the months of July and August, the United Nations said.

In July at least 3,590 people were killed and in August 3,009 died in bloody attacks on civilians, according to the UN human rights report on Wednesday."[/quote']

thank you.

I must have missed the 6599 new threads that were posted on here for these people.

That's so fucking condescending. It doesn't matter if someone is a celebrity or not' date=' I bet you've read stuff in the papers that has upset you and you didn't know the person or people involved. Compassion isn't one of those stupid 'emo' things you know, it is actually OK to admit hearing about someones death or injury is distressing. Quite frankly, a 280mph car crash involving [i']anyone would illict the same response from me, the fact that I know who Richard Hammond is just makes it slightly more sad because he's not just a name in the paper.

"Emo"? Give me fucking strength.

Is it distressing though?

A quick check of the P&J website throws up quite a few stories of people killed in the local area over the last few days - were they distressing to you?

Why are people more upset over Irwin or, potentially, Hammond when people are being killed just a few miles away?

Why are people more upset over Irwin or' date=' potentially, Hammond when people are being killed just a few miles away?[/quote']

TV personalities just have a bigger impact on our lives than an average road accident victim, even if it is by doing something as seemingly trivial as arguing with Jeremy Clarkson about cars.

thank you.

I must have missed the 6599 new threads that were posted on here for these people.

If you want to start an individual thread for everyone whos ever died in tragic circumstances and everyone who is currently critically injured worldwide then by all means go ahead! I would ask for a few paragraphs on each person to add to the human aspect of the story as it is hard to feel compassion for a number or a name without knowing anything about that person in the way that people know about Richard Hammond.

If you want to start an individual thread for everyone whos ever died in tragic circumstances and everyone who is currently critically injured worldwide then by all means go ahead! I would ask for a few paragraphs on each person to add to the human aspect of the story as it is hard to feel compassion for a number or a name without knowing anything about that person in the way that people know about Richard Hammond.

what do you know about Hammond?

what was his Mum's name?

What's his mobile number?

what do you know about Hammond?

what was his Mum's name?

What's his mobile number?

Unless you're seriously suggesting that you cannot feel bad for someone seriously hurt in an accident and hope they survive unless you know the name of their mother then I will presume you are just winding me up now? Read what I have said in previous threads as all I will be doing now is repeating myself.

Unless you're seriously suggesting that you cannot feel bad for someone seriously hurt in an accident and hope they survive unless you know the name of their mother then I will presume you are just winding me up now? Read what I have said in previous threads as all I will be doing now is repeating myself.

I'm just trying to point out that, in these instances, you never really know the individuals as much as you think you do. It's the illusion of television - you're lulled into a false sense of "friendship" with these people because they're in your living room every day. It's all a facade.

i'm not saying "don't feel sorry for them" - I'm just trying to point out the irony that no seems to give a flying fuck for people killed in wars, famines or in accidents at the end of the road.

Chances are, in a few years time, you'll have forgotten who Hammond, Irwin or whover were and they'll have been replaced by some other TV presenter.

"Emo"? Give me fucking strength.

Is it distressing though?

A quick check of the P&J website throws up quite a few stories of people killed in the local area over the last few days - were they distressing to you?

Why are people more upset over Irwin or' date=' potentially, Hammond when people are being killed just a few miles away?[/quote']

Why you even bothering to post about this is a far more relevant question.

"BAGHDAD (AFP) - At least 6' date='599 civilians were killed across war-torn

Iraq in the months of July and August, the United Nations said.

In July at least 3,590 people were killed and in August 3,009 died in bloody attacks on civilians, according to the UN human rights report on Wednesday."[/quote']

Are yiu the lad that had that banner up the town "free iraq or im posting up on all my websites what your doing"