aberdeen-music

FAO Top Gear Fans - Hammond in critical condition after crash

Chris

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the least, Hammond will develop a sense of caution he perhaps didn't have before or didn't particularly pay much attention to. A few years back, Micke Kagered had a rear tyre delaminate on our dragster at 302mph at Santa Pod in England, resulting in a 7-time barrel roll through the field of stubbles beside the shutdown area. He sustained a slight back injury that he still gets annoyance from today, and had a nice pair of black eyes from the Gs of the rolls, but was otherwise unhurt. Before the accident he was the most determined and focused racer in the FIA pro series, but since then he is a lot more cautious about anything the car does out of the norm, and spends longer checking the car over himself pre-run. He always bought the best safety equipment available and kept it in pristine condition, and this played a part in his lack of injury. I don't think he'll ever regain that racers "edge" he had, and I don't think Hammond will ever regain that similar character either. Near death accidents change you in many ways, this is something i know first-hand.

It's great to have him and the show back though!! Excellent start to the new series, and a great way to inform/satisfy the public, demonstrate that safety was paramount at all times, and to draw a line under it and allow everyone to move on.

Watched the repeat earlier tonight, great episode. I thought it was genuinely touching without being sentimental, Clarkson's comment about Hammond becoming "Princess Diana" was brilliant.

I can't see the accident hugely changing Hammond's attitude to the show, the accident did happen in pretty extreme circumstances. The show normally features high performance motor cars going round a track, not a jet-car tearing down a strip at over 300mph.

I wouldn't go that far, he's maybe just a little to the right of Mussolini on most issues. James May for PM, Hammond as Home Secretary and Clarkson as Foreign Secretary would do me fine, with the Stig at Transport.

Haha, very good point. Clarkson as foreign secretary though? Relations with the French would deteriorate overnight!

the sight of clarkson driving with a dead cow on his car was a joy to behold! also it was funny when clarkson and hammond sneaked out the tent and vandalised may's air conditioning like naughty wee schoolboys!

the sooner these men are put in charge of the country the better!