aberdeen-music

Draconian VS. Richards

Can't see any pic's booo!!

I just got one done in Metallergy in Dundee, my DJ partner in crime has a piercing and tat shop and have met the guy who designs them for you so are unique. Amzing artist, I really didn't see anything I wanted but sent loads of designs, went there and he free styled on my back with biro, then over with ink....LOVE IT, better than I would have imagined.....will get up a photo if I can work out how to use my phone!! haha

Highly recommend Metalergy in Dundee, lovley shop, people and ok there is a waiting list of about a month or so, but it's worth it!!

Just joined the forum and saw this thread...

Im a big Richards fan-have 1 from him and 1 from Jimmy but plan on a fair few more...I read alot of tattoo mags and they speak very highly of him and he is also regularly winning awards despite not attending many conventions himself.

A couple of my friends have a lot of work from Draconian...2 full sleeves, chest piece etc and the results are VERY mixed. Some are very good but some very bad!

Fair enough Richards can be quite grumpy and the studio layout doesnt lend itself well to a warm layout...BUT Id rather sit in silence and come away with a better piece than talk all the way through my session whilst Stix's mum brings me cups of tea and worry about the potential disaster of my tatt!

• 2 months later...

all 9 of mine are from draconian, never ever had a problem, i get treated like family in there anyway!

been into richard's and a couple of others (rapport being one of them) not a huge fan of rapport, the guy always seems to want to change your design to make it easier for himself!!

draconian will do there best to get the EXACT design you want if its humanly possible.

I went to Draconian for that one - Styx did it - what a dude! Totally cool and friendly. But I still think I'd go to richards for other ones cos they seem to prefer working with colour.

PS I hate when I dunno who people are but they know me...been away from this site for too long! :down:

[ishit, some of them are pretty big, sorry. can't be bothered resizing!

p.s. alkaline, i was talking about the fact that some people say he has an attitude problem, not his skills.

Those are really nice. :up: Not keen on the paw prints but I really like the girl with the basket, and the "Love Is..." and the ones on your feet.

A fair few of my friends have had tattoos done at Richards, and the general view is that he's nicer to guys than women.

I've got 4 tattoos, two by Ash and two by Lee and they're both great tattooists. The ones by Ash are more bold, and Lee the more delicate designs.

I went into Draconian with a uni chum, and when she showed them her design she wants they basically laughed, looked at her as if she was a stupid little girl and asked "are you sure that's something you want done, it's a bit big love". She went to Retro's and they said that it's easily something they could do for her.

Draconians has gone downhill recently and just looks a shabby place where kids hang out because they think it's "cool".

I'd stick with Retro Rebels, Richards is a horrible atmosphere and you don't want getting a tattoo to be torture or an experience you'd rather forget. Plus Ash and Lee are both really professional and make it as quick and painless as possible.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you not need to complete an apprentiship of some sort to be a ''professioinal'' artist?

if i go buy a saw and some bits of wood an i now a ''professional'' joiner?

no

Sorry, but both Ash and Lee have been taught by and worked for professional artists. Maybe you should call Retro Rebels and ask their professional history and experience before passing a comment like that.

No thats why you do an apprentiship is it not?

From the Collins dictionary :

professional

ADJ

1 of a profession

2 taking part in an activity, such as sport or music, as a means of livelihood

3 displaying a high level of competence or skill ?

a professional and polished performance

4 undertaken or performed by people who are paid ?

professional golf

N

a professional person

There are many, many careers that do not involve an apprenticeship. Does that mean that those people are not professionals...?

Just noticed this thread. I have quite a few tattoos and can tell the difference between a quality tattoo and a amateur looking tattoo. Richard produces very very high quality tattoos, oppose to Draconian who's tattoo's don't stand out at all. There's a reason why Richard's tattoos make it in magazines!

Ok, Richards is quite straight up, cold, lifeless and not too cozy to be in, and so I've heard that Draconian serves it's customers better, but are you gonna want to have that comfort for an hour, and a shit tattoo for life, or have a an hour of getting tattooed by someone that won't talk to you much, but puts more concentration into you having a great tattoo(unless it's tribal! hehe)

I now choose to go to a world famous tattoo artist in Copenhagen called Uncle Allan, and get work by him, cause he's rad!

So that's my opinion on this matter. Opinion only.Word.