aberdeen-music

Jamie's school dinners

Chris

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry' date=' but I don't buy into the whole "healthy eating" crusade launched by Jamie Oliver. What happened to choice? If people want to be fat, unhealthy and useless, isn't it their choice? I'm a huge fan of individual liberty - if someone wishes to be fat, lazy and to stuff their face with crap, then to me, it's their call. Yes, by all means, push the message - but don't force people into eating certain things. It'll just build resentment - after all, how many times have people rebelled in human history when forced into doing things that they didn't want to do for whatever reason?

The entire campaign seems like complete nannying to me - and in all honesty, would he be so quick to back it if he didn't get a TV show featuring his name out of it?

Is anyone aware of any independent studies done on "healthy eating" in schools?[/quote']

When kids as young as 3 are developing type 2 diabetes then I think we don't have a choice but to do something about it!

I'm sorry' date=' but I don't buy into the whole "healthy eating" crusade launched by Jamie Oliver. What happened to choice? If people want to be fat, unhealthy and useless, isn't it their choice? I'm a huge fan of individual liberty - if someone wishes to be fat, lazy and to stuff their face with crap, then to me, it's their call. Yes, by all means, push the message - but don't force people into eating certain things. It'll just build resentment - after all, how many times have people rebelled in human history when forced into doing things that they didn't want to do for whatever reason?

The entire campaign seems like complete nannying to me - and in all honesty, would he be so quick to back it if he didn't get a TV show featuring his name out of it?

Is anyone aware of any independent studies done on "healthy eating" in schools?[/quote']

Independent studies into what exactly? Whether it's a good idea or not?

The point is that the children weren't getting the freedom of choice that you're speaking about. It was unhealthy shite or nothing. Partly because that is all schools were providing, but also partly because they didn't know any different. A large part of what Jamie has been doing is education. It may seem obvious to most people, but there is a suprisingly large amount of kids and more importantly parents who simply did not know that eating nothing but microwave chips and cakes was not a good idea.

Complaining about not being allowed to eat crap food in school is like moaning that the teacher won't let you believe the earth is flat. Feel free to believe that at home. But teaching people the basics of human health is just as important as any lesson. And they need to follow that up in practice. -

"Ok kids, so now we know that saturated fats are a clear danger to health, causing obesity and high cholesterol, leading to coronary heart disease, cancer and death. But that's lunchtime, so go have your turkey twizzlers..."

Education, Education, Education!

Grown adults have the choice to eat as much crap as they want, smoke and drink themselves to death, die of obesity and heart failure and watch whatever shite they want on TV. kids must be educated and disciplined and I feel sorry for the children born into ignorance because there is really no hope for them. Schools must therefore do all they can to stop this decline in health and discipline so good on Jamie Oliver - pukka!? When I was a young laddie I remember the joy of accompanying the old boy to the shops on a Saturday evening for the Green Final and my weekend treat of a Snickers bar, or sometimes pushing the boat out and having a Cornetto. Our meals were healthy and if you didn't eat your dinner then you didn't eat anything and were possibly threatened with a skelp round the lugs. I feel that I have grown up fairly healthy as a result (he says typing away with a fag hinging oot his moo). It disgusts me seeing kids demanding anything they want from their weak, lazy and stupid parents.

So in conclusion, skelp yer brats and bring back the Green Final on a Saturday.....erm i think.

When kids as young as 3 are developing type 2 diabetes then I think we don't have a choice but to do something about it!

There are a whole lot of other factors that have bearing on the development of type-2. Some are genetic whilst the mechanism for others is barely understood yet.

Whilst diet & activity are certainly important factors' date=' in both development, avoidance [b']& control, blaming obesity/inactivity in the way they currently do is a gross oversimplification & is also highly unfair on those who developed it by other means.

Independent studies into what exactly? Whether it's a good idea or not?

No' date=' a study into whether or not things have actually changed - and into the quality of the food that's now in schools. I've read a few reports in various papers about how the cost of the "healthy food" has pushed meals up a fair bit - which, to me, is as much a scandal as the rubbish offered originally. When you consider that there's a stigma attached to people that get free school dinners, I wouldn't be surprised if there was children going hungry as a result. But as I said, I'd be interested in any independent studies into the matter.

The point is that the children weren't getting the freedom of choice that you're speaking about. It was unhealthy shite or nothing. Partly because that is all schools were providing, but also partly because they didn't know any different.

Which is fair enough - I'm all for schools offering a wide range, from heart attack inducing stuff to the healthiest of meals. But the way Jamie Oliver's gone about it seems to be about swinging from one extreme to another - which ultimately, is doing nothing but nanny children.

Thing is, I may have been lucky, but in all three secondary schools I went to, all of them offered healthy food alongside rubbish. It may have been uninspired, but who really expects a culinary experience from school dinners?

Complaining about not being allowed to eat crap food in school is like moaning that the teacher won't let you believe the earth is flat. Feel free to believe that at home. But teaching people the basics of human health is just as important as any lesson. And they need to follow that up in practice. -

"Ok kids, so now we know that saturated fats are a clear danger to health, causing obesity and high cholesterol, leading to coronary heart disease, cancer and death. But that's lunchtime, so go have your turkey twizzlers..."

Surely the right attitude would be one which educates the children to make an informed choice about their diet? If children wish to eat rubbish every day at lunchtime while eating healthily the rest of the day, shouldn't that be their choice?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Todays children are fat cunts and it's entirely the fault of the parents who'd rather give their kids a Happy Meal than spend valuable Soap/Game Show/Reality TV time doing something as onerous as cooking.

Good on Jamie Oliver for trying' date=' but he's fighting a losing a battle.

If we want to improve childrens (and the nation in general's) health, both physical & mental, here's what we will have to kick the fuck out of existence...

[list']

[*]McDonalds

[*]Burger King

[*]KFC

[*]Frozen Ready Meals

[*]Pot Fucking Noodles

[*]Giant Chocolate Bars

...to name but a few

...also...

• Big Brother (if you watch this, you're a moron. end of)
  • Chat Shows (the stupid ones like Trisha)
  • Game Shows
  • The saturation levels of "Talent" shows
  • Anything with "Celebrity" in the title
  • Most Soaps - especially the "shouty" ones with theft, rape, incest & murder as regular themes (oh! wait, that's ALL of them).

Apologies for the rant, but I feel really strongly about this.

DZL

Don't apologise, you've shot straight to the top of my "People From On Here Who I'd Like To Have A Pint With In Real Life" list.

i think its a culture thing as well, many parents were brought up in the age of satellite tv, fast food and binge drinking. i mean 30 years ago most families would probably have one take away a week at most (usually a chippie) if they could afford it. plus the increase of processed foods on the supermarket shelfs isnt helping. i dont touch them now but for ages i lived on cheapo tescos ready meals!

Cloud : the point is that children are vulnerable and deserve some degree of protection. I mean come on' date=' kids that are of the age where a free toy with their burger appeals to them are just not informed or mature enough to be able to make decisions about their own health.[/quote']

Shouldn't it be up to their own parents to make these decisions, not the State?

Wasn't there a similar case of nannying with a burger van outside St Machar a wee while ago?

Anyone know anything about the financial side of things since Jamie started his crusade? I'm sure I read in some newspaper somewhere that the average price of school meals had increased considerably - and I would be interested to know if spending has increased similarly.

Obviously you are not a parent' date=' but try to imagine the pressures created by relentless advertising targeted at children and balance that with the innate parental desire to give your kids what they want.[/quote']

i think thats a good point, the marketing methods of fast food chains are ruthless at times.

have laughed at macdonalds recent attempts to promote themselves as a healthier option mind, thats an admission of just how shit their 'food' actually is!

Obviously you are not a parent' date=' but try to imagine the pressures created by relentless advertising targeted at children and balance that with the innate parental desire to give your kids what they want.[/quote']

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,6-2358480,00.html

This article is rather interesting.

I guess the whole issue here revolves round whether people are willing to accept their lives being controlled by others, or whether they believe in the right of the individual to make their own choices.

In my view, schools are there to educate, not to dictate.

Del - I think, though I might be wrong, that a lot of "healthy" stuff is as bad as McDonald's offering. One example - we got some horrible (I didn't order it!) sliced ham in today. On the cover, it says "95% FAT FREE!" along with some rubbish about being useful for diets. Now, unless I'm wrong...that means it contains 5% fat, which is surely fairly significant in the grand scheme of things?

You seem to completely misunderstand the nature of capitalism and it's social consequences. You can argue all you like against state regulation, but the primary concern of these big franchises is the influencing and overriding of the the sensibilities and self-determination of the individual. It is absurd and perverse to suggest that on the one hand people can make their own decisions, but on the other hand be continually bombarding them with manipulative advertising. Viewed in purely social terms this is quite simply a prime example of an abusive relationship.

no thats a good point' date=' a lot of supposed healthier options arent really any healthier at all. for example salads are often drenched in mayonnaise and oil, extremely unhealthy![/quote']

I'm sure McDonalds were criticised because their salads were actually worse for you than their burgers - which really makes a mockery of the whole healthy eating image that they've tried to project recently.

I've just read an interesting point on another forum - that although Jamie Oliver is a passionate cook who created some amazing meals for the school featured on the show, most school canteens are going to be ran by uninspired people who won't have the desire or attitude to create meals that shape up to his vision and will instead put out stuff that might be just as bad in the long run as the rubbish that was previously on sale.

I wonder though, if there's a link between fat kids and the hysteria over paedophiles.

its like margerine adverts and flora are the worst for these, promoting how eating their product will lead to a healthier heart etc.

i'm sorry but even the lowest of low fat margerine is bad for you, in fact with all the shite they put in it to make it low fat ur better off eating butter and being done with it.

Shouldn't it be up to their own parents to make these decisions' date=' not the State?

Wasn't there a similar case of nannying with a burger van outside St Machar a wee while ago?

Anyone know anything about the financial side of things since Jamie started his crusade? I'm sure I read in some newspaper somewhere that the average price of school meals had increased considerably - and I would be interested to know if spending has increased similarly.[/quote']

Fuxake.

Are you saying the whole campaign should be stopped because it has pushed up the cost of feeding children? Even if the financial implications were massive, which I don't believe they are, what has that got to do with it? Or if you're saying that schools are using this as an opportunity to rip off parents, then that too is a separate issue.

The point is, this has been a problem for too long now. The kids that got no nutritional education, and come to that, no nutrition at school, now are the parents.

In my view, schools are there to educate, not to dictate.

You could bleat on about nannying and dictating if the Government were making anything unhealthy illegal but they're not. We're talking about schools. By definition centres of education. If a kid is given shite at school then he learns that eating it is OK. If a kid is given healthy nutritional food that helps lead a better life, then he learns that that is what they should be having.

Del - I think, though I might be wrong, that a lot of "healthy" stuff is as bad as McDonald's offering. One example - we got some horrible (I didn't order it!) sliced ham in today. On the cover, it says "95% FAT FREE!" along with some rubbish about being useful for diets. Now, unless I'm wrong...that means it contains 5% fat, which is surely fairly significant in the grand scheme of things?

The fact that you seem to find that surprising just shows why this campaign is so important, doesn't it?

You seem to completely misunderstand the nature of capitalism and it's social consequences. You can argue all you like against state regulation' date=' but the primary concern of these big franchises is the influencing and overriding of the the sensibilities and self-determination of the individual.[/quote']

Surely the alternative is all about overriding the sensibilities and self determination too of the individual? The only difference is that in capitalism, we have the choice to decide - whereas under alternative models, there is no choice. I don't believe in state control at all - why should the State have the right to interfere? The State exists to serve the people, not the other way round - though that very notion is becoming rapidly redundant.

It is absurd and perverse to suggest that on the one hand people can make their own decisions, but on the other hand be continually bombarding them with manipulative advertising. Viewed in purely social terms this is quite simply a prime example of an abusive relationship.

Thing is Stripey, virtually all products are missold in some way. I read the other day that the FDA has refused to certify organic milk as better for you than ordinary milk - yet from the sounds of things, the organic milk farmers are having a fit over the issue because they can see their investments falling down the drain once the bubble bursts. Doesn't stop them from spreading misinformation about the "benefits" of said organic milk, though.

This is a gross misapprehension on your part, and quite frankly it doesn't suprise me that you can't see the difference between mass produced "products", wether they are marketed as "healthy" or not, and real food.

Real food? I'd be interested in hearing your definition.

I'm sure McDonalds were criticised because their salads were actually worse for you than their burgers - which really makes a mockery of the whole healthy eating image that they've tried to project recently.

I've just read an interesting point on another forum - that although Jamie Oliver is a passionate cook who created some amazing meals for the school featured on the show' date=' most school canteens are going to be ran by uninspired people who won't have the desire or attitude to create meals that shape up to his vision and will instead put out stuff that might be just as bad in the long run as the rubbish that was previously on sale.

I wonder though, if there's a link between fat kids and the hysteria over paedophiles.[/quote']

tory%20boy.jpg

I've just read an interesting point on another forum - that although Jamie Oliver is a passionate cook who created some amazing meals for the school featured on the show' date=' most school canteens are going to be ran by uninspired people who won't have the desire or attitude to create meals that shape up to his vision and will instead put out stuff that might be just as bad in the long run as the rubbish that was previously on sale.

[/quote']

I'm getting the impression (as usual when you get involved in threads like this to be honest) that you're arguing against something you're not actually informed about. If you'd watched the programme you'd know that Jamie Oliver has researched a nutrionally balanced menu which can be produced for less per head than most current school dinners (around 36p per pupil if I remember correctly) and in addition he's produced strict recipes for the schools involved to follow. They don't have to be inspired or passionate, they just have to follow the fucking recipe.

At the end of the day I can't believe you're actually arguing against what is an effective campaign to get schoolchildren to eat healthy, balanced meals instead of junk food. It really does beggar belief.