aberdeen-music

Jamie's school dinners

Chris

Just finished watching jamie's return to school dinners. This is a guy that used to irritate me quite a lot, but credit where credit's due he's done a fucking good job at changing something that really needed to change in a very short time.

To come up with realistic ideas to get kids eating healthy food and to make them actually want to give up the shite they were eating before is great. But to also get the prime minister on tv and promise an extra 3 years of funding (20million more than the previous 3 years), plus a seperate fund to refurbish and fit kitchens in schools and an open promise to find money for training kitchens and whatever else he thinks is needed. Well hats off. A great example of a celebrity sticking their nose into something they can actually change and speak about with authority and getting it to happen.

Did anyone else watch it? What do they think about the whole thing?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Neubeatz

Well I saw parts of the prog and as you say, hatz off 2 the guy for a great achievement, :up:

SSP did flaunt the idea in the scots parly of free school meals for all scots schoolkids a while back, but I think the Mconnell mafia resisted on that one....?(

I think what he's done is fantastic. No-one can deny that there was a real problem, and he genuinely cared enough about it to find a way to deal with it. Agree absolutely that he deserves a hell of a lot of credit for using his celebrity to make a real difference to others, rather than just money for himself.

Are you listening, Beckhams?

What do they think about the whole thing?

I didn't see this particular programme but I'm concerned that this is only another bit of sticking-plaster on a more serious issue & frankly, school dinners are only a smallish part of the problem. The whole issue of childrens lifestyle needs to be addressed & no amount of healthy food at school can counter a poor diet & lack of appropriate activtiy both in school & at home.

Also, the whole concept of "public health" in this country is a well & truly screwed-up by post-war "cheap food at any cost" policies, consessions to major commercial interests & some pretty barking ideas more motivated by politics/social control than any genuine concern with health. Frankly, education authorities are the last people I'd be willing to trust with a child's health & I'm concerned that this may become another attack on parental rights in general.

That Rotheram article above has bugger-all to do with healthy eating BTW & is a near textbook example of what happens when the press put their own agendas first. The mothers were actually protesting the school's move to a much shorter lunchbreak - despite being quite unable to cater for a lot of kids in the 40mins allowed. Many pupils were getting no food at all!

Healthy food available at school is important, and for the most part I think what Jamie Oliver said was pretty decent, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a good packed lunch. It's when parents shove them full of crap that they become crap...

It's like people who complain that their dog is too fat when they cook them a sunday roast every week and feed them chocolate biscuits.

so these mums would rather give their kids junk food than healthy???

sorry but the one thing that shocked me about the programme was that kids didnt even know what some fruit and veg where.

i was a fussy kid but my mum still tried to make me eat stuff and i used to have veg with every meal and used to have to ask permission to have any crisps or sweets. and i never had a problem with that. cause i was brought up that way from day 1.

Todays children are fat cunts and it's entirely the fault of the parents who'd rather give their kids a Happy Meal than spend valuable Soap/Game Show/Reality TV time doing something as onerous as cooking.

Good on Jamie Oliver for trying, but he's fighting a losing a battle.

If we want to improve childrens (and the nation in general's) health, both physical & mental, here's what we will have to kick the fuck out of existence...

• McDonalds
  • Burger King
  • KFC
  • Frozen Ready Meals
  • Pot Fucking Noodles
  • Giant Chocolate Bars

...to name but a few

...also...

• Big Brother (if you watch this, you're a moron. end of)
  • Chat Shows (the stupid ones like Trisha)
  • Game Shows
  • The saturation levels of "Talent" shows
  • Anything with "Celebrity" in the title
  • Most Soaps - especially the "shouty" ones with theft, rape, incest & murder as regular themes (oh! wait, that's ALL of them).

Apologies for the rant, but I feel really strongly about this.

DZL

Todays children are fat cunts and it's entirely the fault of the parents who'd rather give their kids a Happy Meal than spend valuable Soap/Game Show/Reality TV time doing something as onerous as cooking.

Good on Jamie Oliver for trying' date=' but he's fighting a losing a battle.

If we want to improve childrens (and the nation in general's) health, both physical & mental, here's what we will have to kick the fuck out of existence...

[list']

[*]McDonalds

[*]Burger King

[*]KFC

[*]Frozen Ready Meals

[*]Pot Fucking Noodles

[*]Giant Chocolate Bars

...to name but a few

...also...

I don't think we should ban them just because some people have no self control. I don't eat at any of these places often at all, but when I'm in the mood for a quarter pounder with cheese, real meat and unprocessed cheese just doesn't quite do the job.

I don't think we should ban them just because some people have no self control.

No, we should ban them because they are exploitative, marketing aggressively to kids, which produces people like you who have an urge to eat their miserable concept of food embedded in the back of their minds for life. And not to mention fucking unhealthy.

Seems like obesity is part and parcel of the continuing americanisation of britain.

No' date=' we should ban them because they are exploitative, marketing aggressively to kids, which produces people like you who have an urge to eat their miserable concept of food embedded in the back of their minds for life. And not to mention fucking unhealthy.

Seems like obesity is part and parcel of the continuing americanisation of britain.[/quote']

Amen bro'

...people like you who have an urge to eat their miserable concept of food embedded in the back of their minds for life...

I hardly think eating at fast food chains once or twice a year means that in me they have produced a fat-munching beast of a human being. I'm just saying that if people were a bit stronger (self-control, ignoring all the shameless marketing, blah, blah, blah) they wouldn't turn into marshmallows.

As for marketing towards kids, surely the parent/s is/are in control of what their kid eats (or they should be). If I see a whale of a child marching down the street I tend be a bit critical of their parents for letting him/her get in that state.

I say stop blaming fast food for making people unhealthy and fat. Blame the people who eat it constantly. It's like when a kid in school takes advantage of something like being given free time to read who keeps fucking about and ruins it for everyone who can be sensible about having responsibility.

As for marketing towards kids' date=' surely the parent/s is/are in control of what their kid eats (or they should be). If I see a whale of a child marching down the street I tend be a bit critical of their parents for letting him/her get in that state.

[/quote']

That's exactly the point I'm making. But for the masses, I'm afraid we're beyond the stage of reasoned thinking. People are more stupid than ever and we now have a Pavolvian Dog situation where these poor, poor sacks of shit are doing exactly what the media tell them to do.

I mean for fucks sake, If you can get millions of lab rats to - and I quote from Billy Connelly - "sit in a house watching a program about folk sitting in a house" for HOURS - I'm sure you'll have no problem getting them to stuff excessive amounts of processed poison down their expanding gullets.

It's a shite state of affairs - and I have no idea what the answer is. All I'm going to try my hardest to do is ensure my daughter doesn't go down that route. But that in itself is difficult as kids get older with peer pressure and aggressive marketing.

DZL

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh now you've me fuckin' started :swearing:

and I quote from Billy Connelly - "sit in a house watching a program about folk sitting in a house"

Is this the same Billy Connelly who wished that the captors of Kenneth Bigley should just "get on with it"???

Shows what he knows.

EVERYONE has a choice. No one force - feeds anyone junk food or healty food or any food for that matter. And I mean the parents feeding their kids shite have a choice as well. It's their responsibility.

Is there such a thing as "non aggressive" marketing nowadays? Sad world we live in, dude.

Moneytalks.

And Britain gets more Americanised every year.

Fraid there's not a dammned thing we can do.

EVERYONE has a choice. No one force - feeds anyone junk food or healty food or any food for that matter. And I mean the parents feeding their kids shite have a choice as well. It's their responsibility.

Billy Connelly has fuck-all to do with this - he's funny, but a complete ringpiece. I just liked that quote. For me summed up the complete irony of idiot television such as Big Stupid Fucking Tosspot Brother.

Not arguing with people's freedom of choice - I can choose to drink bleach if I wish to. The point I'm making is that some parents no longer have any sense of responsibilty because their minds have turned to complete mush. And I'm talking about the same morons who send wedding presents to soap opera characters and talk incessently (an passionately) about "people" who don't actually exists as if their ficticious issue actually mattered - all the while ignoring their needy kids and the real world around them.

DZL

so these mums would rather give their kids junk food than healthy???

sorry but the one thing that shocked me about the programme was that kids didnt even know what some fruit and veg where.

i was a fussy kid but my mum still tried to make me eat stuff and i used to have veg with every meal and used to have to ask permission to have any crisps or sweets. and i never had a problem with that. cause i was brought up that way from day 1.

Exactly! When he held up a leek and ask what it was and the kids were like "uhh? is it a potato?"

Disgraceful.

I think what Jamie Oliver's achieved is fantastic' date=' and long overdue.[/color']

you know credit to oliver for what he's trying to do, obesity is a serious problem, its only a matter of time before fast food joints are targeted the same way as tobacco companies are (in fact i believe its already started is junk food not banned from being advertised on kids telly?)

thing is nowadays with increased usage of the internet and the ever expanding tv networks the kids spend an awful amount of time sitting on their backsides. parents are also doing this and as stated somewhere earlier on this thread, a lot would rather sit down and watch endless hours of big brother than bother to make their kids a proper meal.

i remember when i was in america in 1997 and really noticed just how obese some people were, i'm noticing it more and more in the UK now.

i really dont know what the answer is but obese people are not happy, speaking from me own experiences, i'm doing something about it but i still eat shite just not as much of it.

thing is there's healtier options available on nearly everything nowadays but until people change their attitudes then this problem is going to get worse. you cant force people to eat better and take more exercise.

Good on Jamie Oliver for trying' date=' but he's fighting a losing a battle.

[list']

[*]McDonalds

[*]Burger King

[*]KFC

[*]Frozen Ready Meals

[*]Pot Fucking Noodles

[*]Giant Chocolate Bars

...to name but a few

...also...

• Big Brother (if you watch this, you're a moron. end of)
  • Chat Shows (the stupid ones like Trisha)
  • Game Shows
  • The saturation levels of "Talent" shows
  • Anything with "Celebrity" in the title
  • Most Soaps - especially the "shouty" ones with theft, rape, incest & murder as regular themes (oh! wait, that's ALL of them).

Apologies for the rant, but I feel really strongly about this.

DZL

Best post ever!

Channel 4 is damn strange at the moment.

They have decent programmes that educate and enlighten i.e. Bodyshock, Ian Wright helping fat kids etc but they have nonsense like BB.

Sometimes I think the social workers should be called in when parents take their obese kids to McDonald's.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy into the whole "healthy eating" crusade launched by Jamie Oliver. What happened to choice? If people want to be fat, unhealthy and useless, isn't it their choice? I'm a huge fan of individual liberty - if someone wishes to be fat, lazy and to stuff their face with crap, then to me, it's their call. Yes, by all means, push the message - but don't force people into eating certain things. It'll just build resentment - after all, how many times have people rebelled in human history when forced into doing things that they didn't want to do for whatever reason?

The entire campaign seems like complete nannying to me - and in all honesty, would he be so quick to back it if he didn't get a TV show featuring his name out of it?

Is anyone aware of any independent studies done on "healthy eating" in schools?

I'm sorry' date=' but I don't buy into the whole "healthy eating" crusade launched by Jamie Oliver. What happened to choice? If people want to be fat, unhealthy and useless, isn't it their choice? I'm a huge fan of individual liberty - if someone wishes to be fat, lazy and to stuff their face with crap, then to me, it's their call. Yes, by all means, push the message - but don't force people into eating certain things. It'll just build resentment - after all, how many times have people rebelled in human history when forced into doing things that they didn't want to do for whatever reason?

The entire campaign seems like complete nannying to me - and in all honesty, would he be so quick to back it if he didn't get a TV show featuring his name out of it?

Is anyone aware of any independent studies done on "healthy eating" in schools?[/quote']