aberdeen-music

Panda Eyes

TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH

It sounds like Throwing Muses or Floored' date=' the sort of band you find in The Malt Mill - nice - but too safe for my tastes.[/quote']

I'm happy with the Throwing Muses comparison, cheers. As to the song being too safe, that's all a matter of perspective obviously, but I think that "When the Lights are out" will be the most straight forward pop song we'll be doing.

The bass drum sounds like a cardboard box.

It's not the kind of music I'd listen to' date=' but it's reasonably well performed. I like the guitar sound on the chorus, especially.

AKM[/quote']

What a pointless comment, they aren't trying to be record producers!

Anyway, i see where the MOR comments are coming from, but i think, in terms of the local scene anyway, that's anything but safe. It would be much safer to have a lot less melody and play in some supposedly edgy or alternative style, because in aberdeen that's what people seem to get plaudits for, cos it's full of thick-skulled art rock elitists.

in terms of the local scene anyway' date=' that's anything but safe. It would be much safer to have a lot less melody and play in some supposedly edgy or alternative style, because in aberdeen that's what people seem to get plaudits for, cos it's full of thick-skulled art rock elitists.[/quote']

Spot on. I think it's a solid tune and the vocals are really good aswell. I'm always glad to hear there are bands that aren't going down the 'avant-garde screaming for the sake of it' route, and are actually concentrating on writing good songs.

What a pointless comment, they aren't trying to be record producers!...

I'm sure my shit drum machine will be devastated by this comment.

Whoa whoa. I'm no recording expert myself, and wasn't implying such. All I'm saying is, I'd expect a bass drum sound to go "boom!" rather than "paff!".

Onomatopoeically speaking, of course.

AKM

Whoa whoa. I'm no recording expert myself' date=' and wasn't implying such. All I'm saying is, I'd expect a bass drum sound to go "boom!" rather than "paff!".

Onomatopoeically speaking, of course.

AKM[/quote']

It's okay, I spoke to my drum machine and he wasn't offended in the slightest. ;)

Guest bluesxman

I like it, it's a good tune and the vocals are nice. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about a Mazzy Star cover but it was well executed and again the vocals are good enough to tackle the song. :up:

...Wasn't sure how I'd feel about a Mazzy Star cover but it was well executed and again the vocals are good enough to tackle the song. :up:

Was this worry incase we didn't do the original justice? I feel that the changes to the arrangement were enough that we weren't retreading the same ground as Mazzy Star themselves.

Guest bluesxman
Was this worry incase we didn't do the original justice? I feel that the changes to the arrangement were enough that we weren't retreading the same ground as Mazzy Star themselves.

Yes I'm a bit of a Mazzy Star fan so had the usual concernsbut as you say the arrangement was different and so strong enough to do the song justice. Any gigs coming on the horizon?

Guest idol_wild

This is really good stuff, Jan. All that 'safe' bollocks is nonsense. It's well executed alternative pop music (to my ears anyway) and I got a lot out of it. Indeed, it almost reminded me of a slicker Pavement, but with much MUCH better vocals. Which is no bad thing.

The Mazzy Star cover is divine. The guitar is brilliant, I assume that's an ebow being used? Or is it just effect laden feedback?

I'll be keen to hear more.