aberdeen-music

Door to door Mormons

Swingin' Ryan

They also "worship" seagulls.....?(

They must think we live in the holy land then!

I've spent the past 30 mins reading a bit about mormons as I didn't really know what they were all about. I must say..................I.................smell...............shiiiiiiiiite!

The Prophet Joseph Smith just doesn't have the necessary ring to it for me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact they take their religion from The Book of Mormon, a book which states "Jews are wicked" and describes the Native American race as "a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations."

Book of Mormon is a strange one, no arguing with that!

They also oppose Abortion and view Homosexuality as a 'problem'. They also take the Bible as the word of God and some of the stuff in there when you actually read through it is unbelivably brutal.

Thing is, if you take it as the word of God, then you accept it all. It's not logically acceptable to say "this is the divine word of God...but we only endorse the bits we like".

Have you read the whole Bible?

AKM

Guest Neubeatz
Eh??

They can have all the tea they want if they can explain their way round that one.

Well, it's said that during a locust induced crop famine, seagulls flew in and devoured the hungry insects, thus saving the human population from certain starvation.....????

Well' date=' it's said that during a locust induced crop famine, seagulls flew in and devoured the hungry insects, thus saving the human population from certain starvation.....????[/quote']

Aye, they missed out the part where they got their fish suppers snaffled.

Religions wonderful. Scientology's still my favourite.

I used to attend the Jesus Christ church of Latter day saints when I was younger. (A Mormon church)

It was the most ludicrous thing I had ever seen in ma puff. People crying, and fainting as if they had been touched by God! One time this dopey fucker fell off the podium in a faint like fall, and hurt himself.. Everyone was like.. OH MY GAWD!!! QUICK EVERYONE LETS PRAY FOR HIM.. (as he lay there in pain everyone joined hands around him and prayed, except me who stared at this fool) I couldn't stop thinking..

"Fuck sake, if there is a God, Im sure he's got more important things to do other than touch you! Fucking clown"

Needless to say, their brand of God wasn't my cuppa. Infact if anything, I believe less in God now.

if they ask where you think you come from you can always use my sisters way of gettin them to sod off.

"we're an alien experiment gone horribly wrong and we're going to be annialated (sp?) soon."

kinda weird and that but it works, theyve never come back since. :)

or just say your a completly diffrent reliegion. I do that in town.

hmm, i cant accept the mormon relgion as a real religion.

its all comes from the fact that some guy claims jesus christ spent some time in america, this is because america doesnt really have any real historical culture of its own, apart from the native americans who seem to be ignored for some reason. ANYWAYS i also cant accept this because its all based on the idea of converting as many people as possible, and i lived next door to a family of mormons for 18 years, and all they did was bloody shout at each other. grr.

anyways, i accept the fact that these people can believe what they want and have their own value system, and i am not being intolerant of their beliefs, however i do not think it is acceptable for any religion to try and convert people door to door.

hmm, thoughts? hope this viewpoint doesnt offend, but i am willing to defend it...

I doubt that will offend anyone here commanderkeen! The whole idea of selling a religion door to door is moronic (it figues that the son of Mormon was called Moroni!).

-Knock knock-

"hello, would you like to try mormonism?"

"No thanks, scientologists are the current providers of my religious belief system"

"those guys are nuts though, look at Tom Cruise! How about you try it free of charge for the first month and if you don't like it you can revert back to your current provider"

"oh, come in then!"

I didn't actually realise there was many practicing mormons in the UK. Are all the "Churches of the Latter Day Saints" you see mormon churches then?

I was christened in a protestant church to appease my Grandmother and was sent to Sunday school until I was given the choice at the age of 10. Does anyone know if you can get unchristened or does my 15 year lapse in attendance and lack of prayers automatically cancel my spiritual contract?

I remember one day in Sunday School the class were asked "what's your favourite song and who's your favourite singer?". Round the group most people anwered either Kylie or Jason or both until it got to me................

"Iron Maiden, Number of the Beast".

"oh, and what does that go like?"

"6-6-6 is the number of the beast, hell and fire, were born to be released"

I was only about 8 and had no real concept of what it meant but it caused a little concern!

Thing is' date=' if you take it as the word of God, then you accept it all. It's not logically acceptable to say "this is the divine word of God...but we only endorse the bits we like".

AKM[/quote']

Exactly what I told them, if they 100% endorse everything that's in the Bible (which I assume they do) I wouldn't even entertain the idea of joining their religion.

I haven't read the whole thing, but unless it says at the end "all the bits about rape, violence and burning in eternal hellfire were an innapropriate joke", then I don't agree with it.

The bit where Lot (who is referred to as righteous) offers up his Virgin daughters to the angry rape mob is truly bewildering.

Thing is, if you take it as the word of God, then you accept it all. It's not logically acceptable to say "this is the divine word of God...but we only endorse the bits we like".

I'll state first of all that i'm not religious in the slgihtest (except praying for a thousand curses on Venegoor of Hesselink), but I do think that the only real way to truly interpret the Bible is by being selective in interpretation as it is the only true way to understand its meaning. This is why fundamental Christians are fuckin' fruitloops.

As Ryan has already said the Bible is riddled with contradictions from the very start: the early part of the book of Genesis gives two different recollections about how God supposedly created the world! The meaning of this, however, is very different from the ins and outs - that God created the world.

Its even more blatant in the New Testament with the contradictions of Peter, Luke etc. The fact of the matter is that they are different interpretations of what God apparently conveyed to them. But yet again the main theme is still conveyed: they're all loosely similar in their teachings of morality.

In fact, most of the moral ideas about homosexuality and the like come from the Old Testament which is the same as the Jewish Bible. But as reform Jews do with the rules of Jewish living, not all are followed as it makes life almost physically impossible. These rules were wirtten for a different time with drastically different views, and that should be understood. As our morality and opinions about what is and isn't sociallly acceptable change, then indeed personal faith is re-interpreted and some points are dropped: but the main moral are still the same in that God is the 'divine saviour' or whatever.

But Mormons are also fucking nutters though.

I was christened in a protestant church to appease my Grandmother and was sent to Sunday school until I was given the choice at the age of 10. Does anyone know if you can get unchristened or does my 15 year lapse in attendance and lack of prayers automatically cancel my spiritual contract?

Don't worry. If you didn't believe in God when you were 'christened' then it is null and void by default.

With regards Mormonism, Ask them how they can preach to you to have moral values, when their founder, Joseph Smith had 80 wives.

With regards Mormonism' date=' Ask them how they can preach to you to have moral values, when their founder, Joseph Smith had 80 wives.[/quote']

Polygamy was forbidden by the Mormons in 1904.

Polygamy is practiced by many more societies than monogamy.

Anyway, they do have moral values, just different ones to you.

For example you probably think it's immoral to go round knocking on peoples doors and trying to convert them to your religion, whereas they don't.

Guest Phantomsmasher

Mormons are continualy coming round my door, and hastling people at bus stops, I think their church is somewhere near my area...

Best opening line they've used was: "Oh you play in a band, there are many musicians who are mormons by the way."

Never can be bothered getting into some lengthy philisophical debate as to why I don't agree with their religion, just a simple "that's nice, i'm not interested" seems to do the trick...

Scientologists however, to put it simply, are just very wealthy, and very fucking gullible .