aberdeen-music

More free advice and help.

Jim Stax

EVENTS

To find out more details about an event please visit the Events section of our website. Unless alternative instructions are provided please book your place by contacting our office on 0844 544 9990 or info@culturalenterpriseoffice.co.uk.

Starting Out

This workshop introduces the basics of working as a professional artist or creative. Over 400 artists, designers, musicians, filmmakers, performers, writers, photographers and community artists have attended the workshop. The session includes practical exercises and covers:

Defining your work how to describe the context for your practice

Planning how to develop your project and plan your time

Legal frameworks examining structures to support you and your work

Money matters how to fund, budget, price and cost your work

Promotion and PR building relationships with clients and audiences

very useful in giving a more creative based approach to business set-up

each one of us could take this information and adapt it to our own very unique situations.

Wednesday 27 September, 1.15-4.45pm - Aberdeen Foyer

Wednesday 19 October, 1.15-4.45pm - Scottish Book Trust, Edinburgh

Tuesday 26 October, 1.15-4.45pm - CCA, Glasgow

Thursday 16 & 23 November, 6-8pm - DCA, Dundee

Ridiculous is a bit strong no?

Logistics mate, logistics. You'll be hard pushed to find any organisation that provide 'FREE' advice sessions in the evenings.

Now go read that FREE word again and quit the grumping and being Aberdonian.

Short of going to peoples houses making them food and doing all their work for them I'd say you/we are pretty damn lucky that this sort of assistance is available. Sorry it doesn't suit your times but maybe with a little planning those that feel they may need the FREE advice can 'CHOOSE' to shuffle their working hours or take a day off.

Cheeesh. Its this sort of attitude that grates with anyone that is trying to do something in this city. Even the The Scottish Art Council recognise that Aberdeen can be a fucking nightmare. They can't even give the money away up here.

Jim (Adviser for the Cultural Enterprise Office and delighted when folk get off there arse and at least try instead of moaning).

I'm not wearing my CEO hat at the moment and may not be overly diplomatic but this does get my goat!

Ridiculous is a bit strong no?

Logistics mate' date=' logistics. You'll be hard pushed to find any organisation that provide 'FREE' advice sessions in the evenings.

Now go read that FREE word again and quit the grumping and being Aberdonian.

Short of going to peoples houses making them food and doing all their work for them I'd say your pretty damn lucky that this sort of assistance is available. Sorry it doesn't suit your times but maybe with a little planning those that feel they may need the FREE advice can 'CHOOSE' to shuffle their working hours or take a day off.

Cheeesh. Its this sort of attitude that grates with anyone that is trying to do something in this city. Even the The Scottish Art Council recognise that Aberdeen can be a fucking nightmare. They can't even give the money away up here.

Jim (Adviser for the Cultural Enterprise Office and delighted when folk get off there arse and at least try instead of moaning).

I'm not wearing my CEO hat at the moment and may not be overly diplomatic but this does get my goat![/quote']

Woah, chill out eh?

I would've liked to go to that but as my ROTA (you know those things that are generally issued to you by your boss at work) is already done i can't swing it and unless you own your own business i'm afraid you can't choose your own working hours. I am disappointed in your attitude to my response. I feel ridiculous is the right word as i expect that i'm not in a minority here and that a decent amount of people won't be able to go during the day due to work commitments.

What difference does it make if its done in the evening to the folks who are doing it? If they were bothered about making it accessible to the majority they'd potentially plan it better themselves.

I may not be being diplomatic here but it gets my goat when people complain about people who'd be willing to come to their things.

Phil

(Interested Party)

yo phil, your horse is getting pretty elevated there....if you were THAT interested and determined you would make sure your rota is changed. its a priorities thing.

back on topic, its not the kidn of thing i would go to, but i think its good that people are actually trying to get these things happening more frequently yet keeping them free and informal

yo phil' date=' your horse is getting pretty elevated there....if you were THAT interested and determined you would make sure your rota is changed. its a priorities thing.

back on topic, its not the kidn of thing i would go to, but i think its good that people are actually trying to get these things happening more frequently yet keeping them free and informal[/quote']

Yeah, sorry i didn't mean to get my on a high horse there at all, i just didn't like Jim's response.

And no, sometimes its just not possible due to numbers of people working i.e there's only two of us in that week as our Uni student is back to uni in Lancaster and another member of staff is on holiday. I'm not sure you know how things work at my place of employment so i'm sure i don't need you to be condescending there.

And yes it is a good thing that this is happening and i agree that there should be more of them and more frequently :)

What difference does it make if its done in the evening to the folks who are doing it? If they were bothered about making it accessible to the majority they'd potentially plan it better themselves.

Makes a lot of difference. We are a funded organisation and the difference between our education officer holding these seminars during the day or in an evening comes down to finances. If additional funding is needed, which it would be, for said evening sessions then this has to be taken from elsewhere meaning that something somewhere has to give a little and we have a tight, national budget, for these workshops.

If there was enough demand then never say never but as it stands at the moment bums on seats don't warrant consideration of moving the times. The CEO has been established in Glasgow for over 3 years and extremely successfull. (meaning that the times of workshops/seminars seems to be working just fine).

Your point will be noted though.

And my response was due to the first thing I read after my post is your negativity.

I just wish folk wouldn't moan about things that are designed to help!

If people didn't moan about these things' date='then they couldn't be changed for the better. Design doesn't stop the minute the doors are open.

Still, nice project. Not my thing, but good luck.[/quote']

There is moaning and moaning though. Positive critiscm, is generally a better approach for most things. I will add that we are aware of the potential for evening sessions and as I said, if there is enough of a demand...

www.culturalenterpriseoffice.co.uk

The site itself is a huge resource and worth a good look if you have an interest.

Also feel free to email info@culturalenterpriseoffice.co.uk with any questions. You can mail me direct if you change the 'info' to 'jim'. And because I will be at work trust that you won't get a grumpy reply.

:up: :up: :love:

Makes a lot of difference. We are a funded organisation and the difference between our education officer holding these seminars during the day or in an evening comes down to finances. If additional funding is needed' date=' which it would be, for said evening sessions then this has to be taken from elsewhere meaning that something somewhere has to give a little and we have a tight, national budget, for these workshops.

If there was enough demand then never say never but as it stands at the moment bums on seats don't warrant consideration of moving the times. The CEO has been established in Glasgow for over 3 years and extremely successfull. (meaning that the times of workshops/seminars seems to be working just fine).

Your point will be noted though.

And my response was due to the first thing I read after my post is your negativity.

I just wish folk wouldn't moan about things that are designed to help![/quote']

It wasn't negativity, it was an observation and a level of frustration that it would be something i might attend if it was in the evening rather than during the day.

And surely you would get more funding for further seminars if they proved to be successful and i would think that more people i.e people who aren't at work/school/college/uni would be able to come if it was in the evening. Although it may be a bit more expensive surely it would be worth it to have it better attended.

I do see where you are coming from though and it hadn't been my intention to 'rain on your parade' so to speak.

It wasn't negativity' date=' it was an observation and a level of frustration that it would be something i might attend if it was in the evening rather than during the day.

And surely you would get more funding for further seminars if they proved to be successful and i would think that more people i.e people who aren't at work/school/college/uni would be able to come if it was in the evening. Although it may be a bit more expensive surely it would be worth it to have it better attended.

I do see where you are coming from though and it hadn't been my intention to 'rain on your parade' so to speak.[/quote']

Our budget was pretty much set in stone for three years and is managed within an inch of its life but yes if the interest/demand was there then services would be provided.

Some of our CEO language can read a little dry at times as is the need but the advice sessions and workshops are structured but informal seesions based on the needs of a client and not preachy/business efforts that would and have had me running for the hills. Book-keeping, time management, goal setting and achieving etc are all rudimentary skills that musicians, bands, promoters, managers, agents can all benefit from.

All the advisers are creative practitioners with a business background in one field or another and therefore have a fairly unique perspective on what it is needed when going self employed. starting a small business or simply trying to earn a little extra cash.

There, small insight aimed at the curious over...:up: