aberdeen-music

the best bands over the last year or so are....?

The Ghost Of Fudge

how's it badly punctuated? it's a saying right? "daveofficer is strong like ox". that's how its always been said and written isn't it? i think it's a good name for a band and a million times better than small enclosed area. i prefer their new sound as well.

Nooooooo! Small Enclosed Area was a terrific name for a band....

I can't wait to get a chance to see them live now though.

ooohh... enjoying the debate about our name :up:

Basically, we accept that there is a grammatical/punctuation issue with it, but would you moan at Led Zepplin for their poor spelling?? We just got fed up with the name Small Enclosed Area, and aftera few months of brainstorming (as well as watching top 80s cartoon Bravestar) Strong like Ox was created. We were all happy with it. Mixed reactions on it from people who know us/don't know us; but all in all we feel we've done the right thing.

For the issue of whether we are Aberdonian or not, well... there is only one member of our band living in Aberdeen now (me), the rest live in Elgin. So you could say we are less Aberdonian than we were last year. I'll let you decide what catagory we would qualify for :love:

Should we qualify for Best Newcomer? Most Metal of Metal?

Also, Preemo - I had to take a cover class at St Machar yesterday, that were watching a Sex Education video called "what is sexy", and i am sure that i saw you in it!!

Strong Like Ox - playing next friday at Drummonds with Alamos

It might be a punctuation one, as I'd expect a comma after Strong.

Strong, (pause) like an ox

Although Strong AS an ox would be fine

(Crivvens....Friday night and I'm considering commas.....surely the grave would be an improvement?)

Ah, touche sir.

Maybe if Ox was a proper noun... Strong, like Ox (the beardy bloke next door).

Musicians need punctuation in their project names.

0. Strong Like Ox - an 'aberdeen' band or not? Same question: what about The Needles?

both aberdeen bands,yes?

2. are The Amy Sawyers Band 'indie' do you reckon? and is Amber better?

Amy Sawyers is amazing! has to be nominated!

3. should Eddison get a nomination? anyone digging their new album? or would you prefer Hookers Green No.1 got a mention?

Hookers Green - nice guys and the music makes me wet!

4. i have four definite nominations in my head for MOST METAL OF METAL. so i need to pick one from Element 106, Statue Of Misery, Black Matter... maybe Spike Pile Driver? Dear John? Double Jack? dunno

Element 106 or Statue of Misery - dunno if that helps..?

is We shall Be Blessed in your list?

5. who would you rather go see? 10 Easy Wishes or 5 Finger Discount? Or could we call Fiction/Action a 'punk' band and pick them instead?

i'd pick 10EW!

6. Strong Like Ox - better than Samurai Fury?

No Opinion

7. have the Holy Folks been playing together longer than a year?

Aye..:rolleyes:

8. do Clearer The Sky deserve as mention as BEST NEWCOMERS?

i dunno - i can think of many others who deserve it ahead of them

9. are Edgar Prais better than Right Hand Left live in the flesh, as it were? or would you rather go see Radio Lucifer, Deadloss Superstar, The Upstarts or Onion Terror?

for live show - its Onion Terror hands down!!

Amy and Amber...

It's funny how people just assume that when an artist is using her own name then she must be an solo acoustic performer. I would say that Amy probably fits best in the 'Best of The Rest' category being that she is and has an Alt-Country driven PJ Harveyesque sound going on these days. Go to her myspace and have a listen

www.myspace.com/amysawers

Amy and Amber are about as alike as chalk and cheese and I would also say that Amber should be in the 'sublime' category (you blushing yet blondie:up: )

Jim

Guest bluesxman

Why does a band name have to be grammatically correct? Strong Like Ox sounds good. Strong, like an Ox and whatever other variants sound shite.

Deadloss Superstar is incorrect is it not, it should be Dead Loss Superstar. But that doesn't look right now does it?:up:

Why does a band name have to be grammatically correct? Strong Like Ox sounds good. Strong, like an Ox and whatever other variants sound shite.

Deadloss Superstar is incorrect is it not, it should be Dead Loss Superstar. But that doesn't look right now does it?:up:

like i said, was kinda hammered when making those observations. none of it matters in the long run but it spawned some amusing pun games by the usual suspects.

well, i think that's pretty much the nominations decided*. :D hurrah!

i look forward to all the complaints about bands not being in the right categories, etc, it really is the highlight of my year. remember this is just a bit of fun...

i'm SURE you'll all maintain a healthy sense of perspective :gringo:

(* i would, however, welcome any last minute suggestions for great bands that've been playing less than a year... the best newcomer category is a little shaky as yet)

most metal of metal - Dunno, all these metal acts just seem to have girly arguments with each other which isn't very metal in my eyes. Black Matter are from Stonehaven so I'll say them, must try and see them sometime.

if you're in stonehaven for the bells we'll be on that stage with the twat from northsound who thinks he's god spawn.

so! it's probably time for bed... but before that, i have some questions to pose you...

i need to finalise the nominations for the fudge awards. (the first round of voting will be next saturday - 11th november - in the moorings bar. that way, there should be five gigs in the moorings and one gig in drummonds which you can vote at. so that should be around a thousand voters - plus the online votes...). to this end, some potentially difficult decisions have to be made.

as you'll be voting, it's probably only fair you have some say in the matter, so i pose the following questions:

0. Strong Like Ox - an 'aberdeen' band or not? Same question: what about The Needles?

1. i think we have four definites for BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT, but should Strong Like Ox join them (or are they an 'aberdeen' band?) or should Ficklle Public? Or possibly The King Blues? Perhaps Mercury Tiltswitch? ... i liked their album, it was good...

2. are The Amy Sawyers Band 'indie' do you reckon? and is Amber better?

3. should Eddison get a nomination? anyone digging their new album? or would you prefer Hookers Green No.1 got a mention?

4. i have four definite nominations in my head for MOST METAL OF METAL. so i need to pick one from Element 106, Statue Of Misery, Black Matter... maybe Spike Pile Driver? Dear John? Double Jack? dunno

5. who would you rather go see? 10 Easy Wishes or 5 Finger Discount? Or could we call Fiction/Action a 'punk' band and pick them instead?

6. Strong Like Ox - better than Samurai Fury?

7. have the Holy Folks been playing together longer than a year?

8. do Clearer The Sky deserve as mention as BEST NEWCOMERS?

9. are Edgar Prais better than Right Hand Left live in the flesh, as it were? or would you rather go see Radio Lucifer, Deadloss Superstar, The Upstarts or Onion Terror?

thanks to anyone who answers those queries xxx

i must sleep now. my brain hurts.

thats not really fair putting anyone againts E106 for the metal like!

I'm not brothered one way or another, but threw in my tuppence worth...I think 'Strong Like Ox' sounds pretty good. Although 'Strong Like Oxtail' would be souper. As would Deadloss Souperstar.

Guest bluesxman
I'm not brothered one way or another, but threw in my tuppence worth...I think 'Strong Like Ox' sounds pretty good. Although 'Strong Like Oxtail' would be souper. As would Deadloss Souperstar.

Ah Alan, you never let us down......8-)

Have Welfare Mothers been playing more than a year?? They've certainly become VG over the last few months.

Aye...i mean..I agree :angel:

Welfare Mothers are a cracking band! Dunno where you'd fit them in....best of the rest?

Aint seen any of their shows for a while...gonna make a big effort to see their next one.