aberdeen-music

the best bands over the last year or so are....?

The Ghost Of Fudge

think you'll find the awnser is YES!!!

bitch!

we played the tunnels on the 28th september 2005 with Catnips, Pussy Cat fetish and Fluffy and the rainbow bunnys.

AND me and matt have been wrritting songs since early 2005.

LIES!

We had 8 gigs between September & December 2005 - one of which we supported Aberfeldy (December 28th 2005)!!

i think you guys played a fundraiser for the special needs school i used to work at about a year ago, aye.

0. Strong Like Ox - an 'aberdeen' band or not? Same question: what about The Needles?

Strong Like Ox is a shit name for a band. Badly punctuated. But The Needles are definately and will always be an Aberdeen band in that they're from Aberdeen. Where they live now will never affect this.

1. i think we have four definites for BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT, but should Strong Like Ox join them (or are they an 'aberdeen' band?) or should Ficklle Public? Or possibly The King Blues? Perhaps Mercury Tiltswitch? ... i liked their album, it was good...

Mon the Tiltswitch!!!

2. are The Amy Sawyers Band 'indie' do you reckon? and is Amber better?

No, it's chick rock. That's an entirely seperate genre. I don't know if Amber is better but I remember noting she had incredibly long fingers. I like Amy Sawyers. She has good hair and brings the rock.

3. should Eddison get a nomination? anyone digging their new album? or would you prefer Hookers Green No.1 got a mention?

Neither. I've never seen the appeal of Hookers Green and I think Eddison aren't as good as people make out they are, although they only just added me to myspace tonight. I don't know why I said although.

4. i have four definite nominations in my head for MOST METAL OF METAL. so i need to pick one from Element 106, Statue Of Misery, Black Matter... maybe Spike Pile Driver? Dear John? Double Jack? dunno

Does it matter? Black Atom will walk it as they do every year. This is not a biased opinion, simply fact.

5. who would you rather go see? 10 Easy Wishes or 5 Finger Discount? Or could we call Fiction/Action a 'punk' band and pick them instead?

Wishes. Wishes are fuckin ace. They got the skills to pay the bills as Spoonie would say.

6. Strong Like Ox - better than Samurai Fury?

Like I said, never hear em.

7. have the Holy Folks been playing together longer than a year?

Who? What happened to Sirius, Psycho A Go-Go, TAR and My Decaying Leg?

8. do Clearer The Sky deserve as mention as BEST NEWCOMERS?

How many gigs have they played.

9. are Edgar Prais better than Right Hand Left live in the flesh, as it were? or would you rather go see Radio Lucifer, Deadloss Superstar, The Upstarts or Onion Terror?

I'd pay cash money to see Deadloss any day. This is Science Fact. Lucifer are good too and not just cos I may have some sort of affiliation with their singer. But I agree the Prais are better than the Left, even though I equi-like the members of both bands.

thanks to anyone who answers those queries xxx

you're welcome waspo.

i must sleep now. my brain hurts.

mine too and i'll regret this post in the morning when I sober up. Damn you gig that ran over time and made me drink too much!!!

I don't have an oppinion on all of these, but here goes:

I prefer Amy Sawers myself. And I wouldn't class her as Indie. Alt-Country maybe?

3. should Eddison get a nomination? anyone digging their new album? or would you prefer Hookers Green No.1 got a mention?

Hookers Green No.1.

4. i have four definite nominations in my head for MOST METAL OF METAL. so i need to pick one from Element 106, Statue Of Misery, Black Matter... maybe Spike Pile Driver? Dear John? Double Jack? dunno

E106.

5. who would you rather go see? 10 Easy Wishes or 5 Finger Discount? Or could we call Fiction/Action a 'punk' band and pick them instead?

Five Finger Discount.

Nope.

9. are Edgar Prais better than Right Hand Left live in the flesh, as it were? or would you rather go see Radio Lucifer, Deadloss Superstar, The Upstarts or Onion Terror?

Upstarts to my knowledge, but I haven't seen Edgar Prais, and I hear they're rather spiffing.

so! it's probably time for bed... but before that, i have some questions to pose you...

i need to finalise the nominations for the fudge awards. (the first round of voting will be next saturday - 11th november - in the moorings bar. that way, there should be five gigs in the moorings and one gig in drummonds which you can vote at. so that should be around a thousand voters - plus the online votes...). to this end, some potentially difficult decisions have to be made.

as you'll be voting, it's probably only fair you have some say in the matter, so i pose the following questions:

0. Strong Like Ox - an 'aberdeen' band or not? Same question: what about The Needles?

1. i think we have four definites for BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT, but should Strong Like Ox join them (or are they an 'aberdeen' band?) or should Ficklle Public? Or possibly The King Blues? Perhaps Mercury Tiltswitch? ... i liked their album, it was good...

thanks to anyone who answers those queries xxx

i must sleep now. my brain hurts.

0.I consider both to be Aberdeen bands.

1.Fickle Public more than Strong Like Ox but only 'cause I consider Strong Like Ox Aberdonian...

2.No and yes.

3.Haven't heard the new Eddison album yet. Not too fussed about either band until I've heard that new effort methinks.

4.I have no idea.

5.10 Easy Wishes with Fiction/Action just behind.

6.Yes.

7.Apparently yes.

8.They're not reaaaaally newcomers are they?

9.Edgar Prais are better than Right Hand Left in my humble opinion. Up there with the other bands live though I'd say.

Mwah!x

best act - eric euan

best live act - eric euan

best newcomer - M.A.P.S

best fudge performance - eric euan @ Tunnels in Sept

best 'rock' act - eric euan

best 'punk' act - Bill Ely And The Catnips

most metal of metal - Black Atom

best 'extreme' act -

best 'indie' act - Copy Ha Ho

best of the rest - Chris Caroll/Kitchen Cynics

best international act (for out of town bands) - Indafusion/De Rosa

most missed - Flying Circus

best clubnight - Vegas

best venue - Moorings

most shaggable - Flash, arrrrrr

most punchable - Me, grrrr

worst band -

Strong Like Ox is a shit name for a band. Badly punctuated. But The Needles are definately and will always be an Aberdeen band in that they're from Aberdeen. Where they live now will never affect this.

how's it badly punctuated? it's a saying right? "daveofficer is strong like ox". that's how its always been said and written isn't it? i think it's a good name for a band and a million times better than small enclosed area. i prefer their new sound as well.

how's it badly punctuated? it's a saying right? "daveofficer is strong like ox". that's how its always been said and written isn't it? i think it's a good name for a band and a million times better than small enclosed area. i prefer their new sound as well.

Surely it should be Strong Like An Ox?

Anyway:

Both qualify I believe

Fickle Public or Tiltswitch

Haven't heard Amber but I think Amy Sawyers could lossely qualify as indie.

Hookers Green.

We need better metal bands...

Fiction/ Action

By country fucking mile

Yes

Aren't they a band who's been around for a while that's changed their name recently?

I'd rather go see Lucifer, Deadloss and the Terror

it just seems like it should be said 'strong like an ox'. i always thought the plural of ox was oxen.

i still think it's a rubbish name for a band, but then small enclosed area wasn't a great name either because people would always abbreviate it wrong and it would look like self-addressed envelope.

anyway, my rant of last night was booze fueled. shouldn't go on message boards after drinking gin. :D

my nominations would be:

(think i've already done it, but im doing it again anyway)

best act Edgar prais/colon openbracket

best live act Edgar prais by a country mile!

best newcomer do edgar prais count?

best 'rock' act i'll say deadloss to keep bri happy

best 'punk' act upstarts?

most metal of metal my minds weapon

best 'extreme' act karloff

most missed STAYOVER!

best clubnight sadly i'm not old enough to comment on this one

best venue I would actually have to say drummonds or moshulu this year i think

most shaggable jamesy :up:

most punchable me

worst band Tears of grace

Guest Jake Wifebeater
4. i have four definite nominations in my head for MOST METAL OF METAL. so i need to pick one from Element 106, Statue Of Misery, Black Matter... maybe Spike Pile Driver? Dear John? Double Jack? dunno QUOTE]

Make it 3 nominations, get us the hell out of that category.

Dave Tail soup

It's true I have often heard the term "Dave Officer is Strong like Ox" throw about the place. And d'ya know what else? He is.

If anyone's going to be pedantic about the band name Strong Like Ox, then they won't mind me pointing out that it's a grammatical issue you've got, not a punctuation un.

It might be a punctuation one, as I'd expect a comma after Strong.

Strong, (pause) like an ox

Although Strong AS an ox would be fine

(Crivvens....Friday night and I'm considering commas.....surely the grave would be an improvement?)