aberdeen-music

Is metalcore the new "Nu-Metal"?

davewarden

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not check out the new papa roach sound by looking for their new video on youtube! it;s called '...to be loved' but i'll warn you i advance, it's not very good!

'time and time again' and 'she loves me not' were both decent tunes too. i'm not claiming to be a fan here becuase the albums were filler-tastic but it was some decent inoffensive rock, with fairly crap lyrics.

i was never really into limp bizkit but they were fairly inoffensive too. everyone used to get in a right shape about fred durst. those were fun times!

as for killswitch engage tho, outstanding and PCA's right about the live shows. they tear it up.

either way, i know very little about genres and don't pretend to. if it rocks, it rocks. if it doesn't, chances are it'll go down a treat on these boards :D

/x

Guest Phantomsmasher

Metalcore started years ago, probably around the same time a lot of the bands today were in their teens, including the whole thrash/punk crossover acts like D.R.I. Now it's just became dilute as all the good ideas have been used up, also most the bands these days are just metal, no real hardcore influence in there at all.

Rorschach were an excellent metalcore band whom were releasing around 1989-93, I recomend people check them out.

coby dick is looking a bit metalcore nowadays isn't he?

Nobody else think Coby Dick, James Hart from 18 Visions and Brandon Saller from Atreyu are like some kind of weird Russian dolls? They get progressively fatter in that order.

Or I'm being a complete tool. If I am it's because of these thick rimmed glasses that I don't actually need.

why not check out the new papa roach sound by looking for their new video on youtube! it;s called '...to be loved' but i'll warn you i advance' date=' it's not very good!

[/quote']

It's balls of the highest order, why are loadsa crap second generation nu-metal and emo bands turning into cock-rock outfits. "Avenged Sevenfold" *shudder*

No thanks' date=' I already own plenty albums that I'm never going to listen to. 99% of metal bores me. I can only think of two or three bands in that genre (the whole genre, including the little sub-genres that keep springing up every couple of weeks) that I actually like.[/quote']

ooo, who?

Anyone who says they don't own Hybrid Theory' date=' Infest or Chocolate Starfish is a total liar.[/quote']

I can only tell you Infest is a papa roach album cos its all I used to find on kazaa when I was looking for tracks by the band Infest...as for the other two...never heard of them!

Rorschach were an excellent metalcore band

METALCORE?!?! How very dare you! :D

I could be way off here but Metalcore would be something like Killswitch engaged. Usually a dry production coupled with screamy vocals' date=' lots of solos that seem to have an Iron Maiden influence, maybe some sweeping etc etc. Maybe some stop starty riffs with discordant chords.

[/quote']

I'll be honest, I agree with Chris here Hog. Killswitch ENGAGE actually have a lot of melodic singing vocals as well as screamy vocals, no solos at all (except in one song), although they can shred, no sweeps, and not many dischords! The production on their albums is incredible, and quite bass heavy yet with a lot of clarity.

Metalcore is actually these days a term that's completely misused and instead just acts as a derogatory term for the current crop of generic metal bands who play 4 minute pop structured song, tuned down relatively heavily, with lots of open chuggy riffs with matching kick patterns, and bits of harmonised lead playing every now and again. Often with screamed verse vocals and a catchy sung chorus.

PROPER Metalcore is actually stuff like S.O.D, and early Corrosion of Conformity etc, which basically combined metal and hardcore... and it sounds nothing like what people actually call "metalcore" these days (much in the same way most people don't seem to know what emo is, and instead use it as a term to slag off people).

Ok' date=' so Metalcore bands dont play discordant chords, have screamy vocals etc, I must of been listening to Anastacia.[/quote']

just cos a band plays dischords and have screamy vocals doesn't mean they are a METALCORE band though. Neither of those characteristics are particularly strong elements of 'metalcore'... eg opeth, sikth or at the drive in scream and play dischords but they are far from being metalcore.

Suppose it could be analysed to death.

What I was meaning by the production being dry was not in a negative sense, its hard to describe, mmm almost "cold"?

Im sure stop starty slow riffs in the middle/end of a song doesn't catagorise a band as metalcore. I just hear things like this in modern metal/metalcore/whatever it is these days.

As you know Im a big fan of 90's metal, Pantera, SYL etc. Bands that I have heard that people class as metalcore just seem to have a lot of these parts that make up one of their songs. Ya know, open strings muted then harmonised maidenesque riffs etc. I know that like most genres, metalcore bands can be very different from one band to the next.

MMW IMHO sound metalcore (although the vocals are getting almost death metal!), you guys use loads of discordant chords and now again use the slow stoppy starty riffs (which is good) although then the discussion could be... MMW are metalcore, MMW are not metalcore, MMW have 23% metalcore mixed with 80% metal and 7% prog etc etc, then someone talks about Bens socks.:up:

Screaming, this sounds silly. In (what I think is metalcore) the scream is wayyy more different to, for example, Opeths screaming. How would I type the metalcore scream... like "wiiiiwiii"???!

Another thing that I noticed is that a lot of the pure metalcore bands like to strap their guitars up to their chest and then point the headstock to the ceiling then to the ground while giving it yas min. Yeah Im sure that might annoy folk by the sweeping generalisation.