aberdeen-music

p-90 pickups?

Old Gold

I've got this guitar:

ariaproII.JPG

I've been meaning to get the humbucker in it swapped for something a lot better (Aria Pro II stock hums are prety shit, which is surprising seeing as the kneck single coil is surprisingly wonderful). So I'm thinking about a P90, although ithey're a bit of an information blind spot for me. I just know that they're a bit more cutting than humbuckers really.

What would you recommend folks? Would it even fit into the guitar? Would it sounds like shit?

Help.

Standard P90's won't fit into a humbucker rout as they are a different shape and are mounted differently. Most pickup manufacturers make humbucker-sized P90s that you can slot right in.

Gibson P-94

Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (scroll down)

Harmonic Design Z-90

I had phat cats in an SG for a while. They had a much brighter sound with less compression and bass but were still much closer to humbuckers than strat single coils. You'll get more noise as they are not hum cancelling. If you play heavy rock or metal, P90s may not be what you're looking for.

Standard P90's won't fit into a humbucker rout as they are a different shape and are mounted differently. Most pickup manufacturers make humbucker-sized P90s that you can slot right in.

Gibson P-94

Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (scroll down)

Harmonic Design Z-90

I had phat cats in an SG for a while. They had a much brighter sound with less compression and bass but were still much closer to humbuckers than strat single coils. You'll get more noise as they are not hum cancelling. If you play heavy rock or metal' date=' P90s may not be what you're looking for.[/quote']

Brighter's what I'm looking for. My main guitar is a single coiled strat. I've got a les paul, but I'm quickly going off the smooth humbucker tone. And I'm more of a fuzz/overdrive guy, so looks like they may be an option.

yeah, P90s might do the trick for you. I'm more of a fuzz/overdrive guy as well and like a brighter sound to cut through - I find humbuckers smooth everything out too much. If you want to hear the best example of raucous P90 tone, check out The Who's performance of "A quick one while he's away" from The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus. It's up on YouTube - I'm at work so can't find a link unfortunately. Pete Townsend gets a real snarling attack with amazing dynamic range from his SG.

yeah' date=' P90s might do the trick for you. I'm more of a fuzz/overdrive guy as well and like a brighter sound to cut through - I find humbuckers smooth everything out too much. If you want to hear the best example of raucous P90 tone, check out The Who's performance of "A quick one while he's away" from The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus. It's up on YouTube - I'm at work so can't find a link unfortunately. Pete Townsend gets a real snarling attack with amazing dynamic range from his SG.[/quote']

That's an amazing tone.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SixiiGBru6E if anyone else is interested)

I really want to do up this Aria, as she's got a bloody great neck. That humbucker's a complete drag though.

The phat cats are only about 70 quid on GAK, so I might go for one. Shame they only seem to be in nickel. Cheers!

p90's are excellent, I have a duncan phat cat in my tele and it sounds amazing

A halfway point between a humbucker and singlecoil, a lot 'fatter' and ballsier than a singlecoil, but more cutting and defined than a humbucker

I think bareknuckle do a p90 in a humbucker sized mount too

David

That's an amazing tone.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SixiiGBru6E if anyone else is interested)

I really want to do up this Aria' date=' as she's got a bloody great neck. That humbucker's a complete drag though.

The phat cats are only about 70 quid on GAK, so I might go for one. Shame they only seem to be in nickel. Cheers![/quote']

What a nice tone that is on the Who clip.

yeah' date=' P90s might do the trick for you. I'm more of a fuzz/overdrive guy as well and like a brighter sound to cut through - I find humbuckers smooth everything out too much. If you want to hear the best example of raucous P90 tone, check out The Who's performance of "A quick one while he's away" from The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus. It's up on YouTube - I'm at work so can't find a link unfortunately. Pete Townsend gets a real snarling attack with amazing dynamic range from his SG.[/quote']

It's like the Who pretending to the the Monkees pretending to be the Who.

Then the Who being The Scaffold.

Magic.

Nice tone tho'