aberdeen-music

Buying a valve amp.

Domino

doesn't matter how many channels. :)

Just any valve amp?

They differ quite considerably e.g. something traditional a Fender "Tweed" will give you nice clean tones, but won't be much use for metal.

The Marshall Hi-Gain (e.g JCM800, 900, 2000) amps are resonably versatile, but are no use for bedroom practice as they tend not to sound really good until you pump up the volume.

At the risk of sounding patronising (I don't mean to be), have a think about what you really need before you spend your dough on something that doesn't suit you - just coz it's says "valve".

But if that's the route you want to go, Peavey have a new range of amps called "Valveking". I tried one out at Bruce Miller's last week and it was pretty good. I squeezed some decent clean & hi-gain noise out of it a minimum volume and you can do all sorts with the bias & EQ.

They're not too expensive either and would be OK for small gigs.

DZL

Ps - in the long run though, a valve amp IS the way to go as there is no substitute.

Happy hunting.

The best practice valve amp would be a Fender Pro, a Fender Blues Junior.

But most of the wee all-valves are made for guitarists looking for a bluesy sound and overdriven distortion at most.

If you're going for a metal/heavy rock sound you should go for something solid state until youre ready to fork out for a mesa or a nice marshall. Vox do a range of cheap as hell amps with just valve pre-amps that sound good and warm, but without the kick of all valve. They also sound amazing with high-gain and have a power knob on the back that means you can turn down the overall noise and still crank up the master volume.

why?....

It's probably a non master volume amp, it needs to be played LOUD for it to overdrive.

£350 is a very good price supposing its in good condition etc. I'm kinda tempted.

It's probably a non master volume amp' date=' it needs to be played LOUD for it to overdrive.

350 is a very good price supposing its in good condition etc. I'm kinda tempted.[/quote']

Is it?

Are you?

Emm! that's just for the one g/back speaker, I'll have to rethink the price for both the g/backs and the foot switch;)

Is it?

Are you?

Emm! that's just for the one g/back speaker' date=' I'll have to rethink the price for both the g/backs and the foot switch;)[/quote']

If it looks like this, and is fully working 350 is a very good price. :p

MARSHALL%20ARTISTE%20CD%20YES.jpg

Guest lime ruined my life

the epiphone valve jnr is supposed to be really good value for money.

Bruce millers had one a month ago, retails around 100.

Guest lime ruined my life
I'm quite fancying one of those Epiphone amps just as a practise amp for the house.

i quite fancy it for the same reason, there's also quite a lot of mods for it so i thought it'd be good to cut my teeth into tube amps.

gr... ok then .. i need a amp for practise.

15-20 ' date=' maybe 30 wats.

still waiting for offers.[/quote']

I have a Fender Pro Jnr 15 W for sale if you want. Hardly been used and getting dusty.

It's loud for a tenement!

Being a crap slesman though the Laney looks better as its actually got 'controls' I tried to sell mine earlier as I was seriously considering it...