aberdeen-music

Pluto isn't a planet anymore.

HateEvent

a question in the pub quiz the other night was about how they are about to be 12 planets but how many are there now. and i asked if pluto was still there and no one knew what i was talking about

my verse wont work anymore for remembering the names "My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming...." no more planets

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5283956.stm

I don't want anyone to panic, but it seems there has been a 'fierce backlash' to the decision.

I know we're all praying there won't be an Astronomers strike, but rest assured if there is, the Government have emergency measures ready to be put in place. The Army have got their fleet of 'green telescopes' on standby as we speak.

Its fair enough i think that they finally came up with a definition for a planet and tried to re-arrange thinga a little bit. I always got the impression that they were finding new largeish objects in the solar system all the time and just not classifying them as they didnt want to shake up what we've known about the solar system for the last few hundred years. Like with Xena, which is bigger than pluto and seemingly more deserving of planet status, they can't just not classify it because it would ruin some books and spoil what we already knew about the galaxy.

Tho i liked what they had proposed last week which was upgrading xena and charon to 'plutons' along with pluto as a kind of outer belt of planets. That also left them some scope to add more as theres talk of there being a host of other celestial bodies beyond pluto we havent discovered yet.

Either way they had to fuck with history, with technology advancing and new things being discovered all the time, be it adding more planets or re-classifying them to loose some, i just find it weird that until now there had never been a proper definition of a planet.

Quote of the year, I feel :

But other astronomers were happy to see Pluto cast from the official roster of planets. Professor Iwan Williams, the IAU's president of planetary systems science, commented: "Pluto has lots and lots of friends; we're not so keen to have Pluto and all his friends in the club because it gets crowded.

"By the end of the decade, we would have had 100 planets, and I think people would have said 'my goodness, what a mess they made back in 2006'."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5283956.stm

I don't want anyone to panic' date=' but it seems there has been a 'fierce backlash' to the decision.

I know we're all praying there won't be an Astronomers strike, but rest assured if there is, the Government have emergency measures ready to be put in place. The Army have got their fleet of 'green telescopes' on standby as we speak.[/quote']

I've not had a good night sleep since I found out about all of this, and I doubt I will until it's all sorted out.