aberdeen-music

questions

Stripey

1. Both are equally important. You need to have a good product for the people in the crowd to listen to and you also need to be able to replicate whats on that CD with the energy that a live band should have. You also need to entertain the crowd, playing your music is no longer enough. They are there to have a good time, you are there to do that job.

2. See above...

1) Performance.... the main thing I love is seeing people going NUTS to our songs and people singing the lyrics and stuff... that's just great. Prbably because I know what it feels to be in the crowd going nuts and singing lyrics to a band I love so knowing that people feel that when I play is what I love about my music...

Although as a home recordist I do enjoy the recording side of things too... I like obtaining a broad knowledge of thigns... I like to be at the controls and produce my music too - I think if you write songs but have to trust another producer to record them you are at a bit of a disadvantage to an extent... so I enjoy having the knowledge to shape my music on recordings too!

2 - This one is both... but it depends what you mean by a "good" live performance.. .Dragonforce are usually quite bad live technically,etc BUT that pretty much means nothing as the songs are so great that they carry themselves... so in this case the good recording is better... some bands have great recordings and live performances, the best I've ever seen was Stratovarius. EVERYTHING about their live show was nothing short of jaw droppingly amazing. The drum sound for a start was the best I've ever heard at ANY gig, and this goes for their recordings - Imho Visions and then Elements pt 1 have the best power metal drums...Their performance was solid, but still had feeling and was a great joy to watch.

Well damn thats a big answer but I hope you gain something from my opinion

1. I only play songs with a view to perform, whether that means playing to a crowd or sitting around entertaining myself after work. Right now I can only see my recordings as a way of getting people to come see me kick out the jams live.

2. I get completely different sensations from a cd and a live show that are difficult to compare. I'd say a bloody good live show wins the day though. The connection between the musician and their audience is very important. Every sense is catered for too.

1. I love playing live. Partially for the energy rush and partially because i like seeing people enjoying themselves and seeing that my band played a part in that.

I see the pros and cons of recording, but i very often feel that local bands record to early and spend too much money on shit recordings. So as a result in bands that i'm in we've held of recording until we know that we're capable of really 'playing' the songs and doing them justice.

2. I like the feeling when you buy a cd and it sounds like the greatest thing you've listened too. Even if thats just a temporary feeling, like a summer or whatever, its still great. I also like the feeling that you get when you have to work at an album to appreciate it.

Live performances can be very hit and miss and a lot of the time you end up leaving thinking 'well it was ok, but not life-changing'. So i prefer buying an album. Thats not to say i don't go to shows etc.

Guest Neubeatz
Which is more important to you?

1 - As an artist' date=' what matters to you most, recording or performing?

2 - As someone who listens to music, what matters to you most - obtaining good recordings, or seeing live performances?

In each case, provide a justification.[/quote']

I dont care anymore, other than being a soundtrack to sell intoxicating health damaging addictive tax raising substances, I think that the current music scene is devoid of any cultural influence, and therefore artistically impotent.

I dont care anymore' date=' other than being a soundtrack to sell intoxicating health damaging addictive tax raising substances, I think that the current music scene is devoid of any cultural influence, and therefore artistically impotent.[/quote']

Define 'current music scene'

or

Blaaa it up yer arse!

I dont care anymore' date=' other than being a soundtrack to sell intoxicating health damaging addictive tax raising substances, I think that the current music scene is devoid of any cultural influence, and therefore artistically impotent.[/quote']

And by "devoid of cultural influence" do you mean "current music" is incapable or cultural influence or lacks being influenced by culture? And what does that even mean?

Guest idol_wild

Back to the point of the thread:

I like to do both. Recording creates posterity, so the recording will always be there - which, when you're in a band, is something to be proud of. Especially if it's good. I think I prefer playing live though. Live music is so vital and it's the main reason I'm in a band. If I were to do solo stuff, I'd probably only record. But being in a band, having a kinship with your friends in the band and feeding off eachother's energy onstage to produce a different kind of energy for the audience to lap up is what it's all about.

Plus, the main reason every band practices every week is to hone their live performance.

As for consuming, it's again hard to say - I love to see bands I love, but a CD is always there to listen to. I'll plump for live...just. Simply for the whole energy factor.

Which is more important to you?

1 - As an artist' date=' what matters to you most, recording or performing?

2 - As someone who listens to music, what matters to you most - obtaining good recordings, or seeing live performances?

In each case, provide a justification.[/quote']

1- performing....its what I enjoy, playing covers, recording is a fairly pointless exersise as the original is invariably better.

2- Live, I have always preferred the "live" experience, almost all my favorite albums are live.