aberdeen-music

A new distortion pedal

I'm wanting to buy a new distortion pedal to complement my Marshall valve distortion and me EH Big Muff Fuzz box, really looking for something inbetween the two sounds, i.e. harsh sounding but not fuzz so I can palm mute. I very much like bizarre pedals too, and I really can't be doing with BOSS or that ilk.

What suggestions do you kids have?

I could recommend a few sicko fuzz pedals (Prunes and Custard, Fuzz Factory, Octavia) but I'm not sure that they'd give you a tight sound that you can palm mute.

Some sort of valve preamp? Soldano Supercharger? Budda Zenman? Mesa V-Twin?

How about boosting the amp distortion with a tubescreamer (or maxon od808 kind of thing) to get a tighter sound with more gain - A lot of guys do this with recto's and marshalls according to guitar geek

failing that, Keeley modded DS-1/RAT?

• Upvote 1

You're unlikely to find an oddball sound that'll still give you tight palm muting. I find that kicking in a Roger Mayer Octavia behind my main distortion really fucks things up. A Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard and ZVex Machine would do the same thing - crossover distortion with wierd intermodulation.

MACHINE

scroll down for octavia samples

crowther audio samples

Guest lime ruined my life
I read about it' date=' and it sounds really good. But I wasn't expecting the price to be £200!

I've tried Proco RAT's before, and I never found them to be that versitile. They do sound great though...[/quote']

zvex has a new vexter series pedal called a rock box or something, which is apparently meant to compliment marshal amps

there's no samples on the site though.

there are three super hard-on circuits in the distortron engine' date=' with heavy filtering pre-emphasis and de-emphasis (post distortion.) it is similar to approaches used by others over the years, in amps and pedals, but with the SHO as the basic building block, it's got its own texture. the multiple-SHO distortion i find to be very criss/crossy, or blizzardy. i'll be putting up a video demo soon.[/quote']

so basically cascaded mosfet boost circuits with pre distortion high end boost and post distortion high end roll off?

if i had a lot of money to waste i'd definetly get a wooly mamoth and a machine :)

Basically o_O

an eq pedal set to boost highs >3 boost pedals, presumably overdriving each one in turn>eq pedal set to reverse of the first one.

iv heard about people doing this so that the high frequencies get clipped more, then rolled off so the signal isnt really harsh out of the amp.

an eq pedal set to boost highs >3 boost pedals' date=' presumably overdriving each one in turn>eq pedal set to reverse of the first one.

iv heard about people doing this so that the high frequencies get clipped more, then rolled off so the signal isnt really harsh out of the amp.[/quote']

Ahaa, that makes sense.

I'd have a mammoth too mehtinks. Shame the price could happily go towards upgrading my 200 quid Vox to a fender twin...

an eq pedal set to boost highs >3 boost pedals' date=' presumably overdriving each one in turn>eq pedal set to reverse of the first one.

I've heard about people doing this so that the high frequencies get clipped more, then rolled off so the signal isnt really harsh out of the amp.[/quote']

I used to do this with my old amp, using a tech 21 parametric EQ first in the chain to boost treble and cut bass, then doing the reverse on the amplifier. It resulted in a smoother sound that was more like compressed overdrive than mushy distortion. Now that I have an amp with a pre-gain treble control and post-gain presence, there's no point in using the EQ and I get the same effect by having the treble full up and backing down the presence.

presence is technically a feedback loop which removes harmonics generated by the transformers not present in the original guitar signal, or something. :)

Danelectro French Toast mini pedal would be a cheaper alternative to the octavia.

i'm going to get the chicken salad vibrato pedal. my guess is it'l use the same lfo used in the tuna melt, and they're so cheap!

• 2 weeks later...