aberdeen-music

a little bit of culture

Stripey

why do you class "dance" music as culture?

"dance" music lol. hardly. This is the internet relay of a london pirate radio station, it's a glimpse at the bleeding edge of what I personally think is one of the most vibrant and fresh music scenes around right now. What could be more deserving of being termed culture than people writing, broadcasting and selling their own tunes to a receptive public while sticking 2 fingers up to the law. It's a perfect example of a real music scene.

"dance" music lol. hardly. This is the internet relay of a london pirate radio station' date=' it's a glimpse at the bleeding edge of what I personally think is one of the most vibrant and fresh music scenes around right now. What could be more deserving of being termed culture than people writing, broadcasting and selling their own tunes to a receptive public while sticking 2 fingers up to the law. It's a perfect example of a real music scene.[/quote']

yeh dance wasnt the best term but it was the broadest i could think of without having to type out a list.

So do you think that a REAL music scene has to be in some way breaking the law to be really making an effort?

I dont really see why that is a real scene and why what we have up here is not.

yeh dance wasnt the best term but it was the broadest i could think of without having to type out a list.

So do you think that a REAL music scene has to be in some way breaking the law to be really making an effort?

I dont really see why that is a real scene and why what we have up here is not.

No, the law breaking is just evidence of the dedication of these people. You cannot compare such a vibrant, trend setting, and unabashedly creative scene to the squalid, passive self indulgence of the uninformed lower-middle-class glorified kareoke that constitutes the aberdeen music scene.

No' date=' the law breaking is just evidence of the dedication of these people. You cannot compare such a vibrant, trend setting, and unabashedly creative scene to the squalid, passive self indulgence of the uninformed lower-middle-class glorified kareoke that constitutes the aberdeen music scene.[/quote']

so do you defy dedication as breaking the law to get your music about?

Why would you class that as being more dedicated than a band that travels around the country in the back of an old busted up van sleeping very little and getting paid very little for their efforts?

Emo was a trend setter......

You are involved at the lowest level with this scene as you have proven many times before so how you feel you can accurately say that is lost to me, however you are wrong, for reasons stated a million times before that i cannot be bothered repeating to you.

No' date=' the law breaking is just evidence of the dedication of these people. You cannot compare such a vibrant, trend setting, and unabashedly creative scene to the squalid, passive self indulgence of the uninformed lower-middle-class glorified kareoke that constitutes the aberdeen music scene.[/quote']

Considered moving and becoming more involved with the music scene you love so much?

Why do you bother with these boards if they are about that which you despise?

(Genuinely intrigued and not having a dig)

Why would you class that as being more dedicated than a band that travels around the country in the back of an old busted up van sleeping very little and getting paid very little for their efforts?

Emo was a trend setter......

You are involved at the lowest level with this scene as you have proven many times before so how you feel you can accurately say that is lost to me' date=' however you are wrong, for reasons stated a million times before that i cannot be bothered repeating to you.[/quote']

No, pirate radio is merely an extension of traditional promotion methods, it's a way for dj's and artists to really engage with the public, it's infinitely more powerful than handing out flyers on a street corner, it holds the scene together and gives it a tangible presence.

Yes, "emo" was a trend setter, but it came from the other side, other interests, it was a premeditated act of salesmanship, and all of its ilk have been the same because of the fundamental surrender of the musicians who were the root of those trends to people with big money promising major exposure.

I wouldn't class bands travelling around the country in a busted up van getting paid fuck all as being dedicated, it's simply foolish. They aren't making the money and all of you know that. It's their hobby, their little self indulgence, kidding themselves the whole time.

Considered moving and becoming more involved with the music scene you love so much?

Why do you bother with these boards if they are about that which you despise?

(Genuinely intrigued and not having a dig)

Well, as far as I'm concerned geography doesn't come into it, the problem is obviously one of attitude. "fuck off if you don't like it" sounds like part of the problem to me. I'm involved in plenty scenes all over the place which just makes me even more inclined to see some action in my home town, because there is nothing preventing that other than the typical provincial resistance to new ideas.

What silly questions to ask, you're obviously just trying to start a 'controversial' debate by wilfully misinterpreting what he said. It doesn't really add anything to the thread, just a way of having a go at an easy target.

"fuck off if you don't like it"

Someone else say that?

The more that stay around these here parts and try to do things a little different the better. Christ, shoulda seen it 10-15-20 yrs ago...

Expectations of many jumping on-board an alternate view point can make things a little frustrating (understatement).

I feel like pounding my head against the wall and then leaving Aberdeen regularly, and probably will if and when the time and situation suits.:up:

What silly questions to ask' date=' you're obviously just trying to start a 'controversial' debate by wilfully misinterpreting what he said. It doesn't really add anything to the thread, just a way of having a go at an easy target.[/quote']

pish flaps.

He answered the questions, if they wernt valid to the discusion why would he bother?

I fail to see where i am being "controversial".

I think Aberdeen has one of the broadest and generally accepting music scenes in Scotland. Fair enough, there is the small amounts of bitching and band bating, but unless you're completely niave in respect to life and the way things work in general you'll know that the bitching etc takes place in every scene regardless of location. There are always going to be people who are jealous over anothers standing/involvement in a musical scene.

I'd like to see more effort made in making the Aberdeen scene more attractive to people outwith Aberdeen, i know to some extent that this is happening in certain 'sub-scenes' within the Aberdeen music scene itself. There needs to be more tolerance of other aspects of the scene as a whole community than there is now.

And before someone like Maxi jumps in and says "all the bands in Aberdeen are shite", i completely disagree, i think there are several more than promising bands in Aberdeen, in various genres.

On looking back to Aberdeen's scene since i moved up here (nearly 10 years ago now) it's a lot fresher and a lot more diverse now than it was then. There are a lot of better and more vibrant musicians in the scene than there was then and the quality of output and variation is of a much higher quality.

I like the scene here. I'd much rather be a part of the Aberdeen Scene than the Glasgow or Edinburgh scenes. Dundee has a good punk/hardcore scene but other than that its fairly lacking in other musical areas.

Yeah I know it's your opinion' date=' that is self evident. Unfortunately, it's just blatently wrong[/quote']

In your mind maybe, but i do not co-habit your mind so tough shite bawjaws. Get back to listening to whatever jungley remix is 'not cool' this week on 'anti-life/ant-establishment' FM and leave me to my opinions ;)

In your mind maybe' date=' but i do not co-habit your mind so tough shite bawjaws. Get back to listening to whatever jungley remix is 'not cool' this week on 'anti-life/ant-establishment' FM and leave me to my opinions ;)[/quote']

This kind of attitude is a perfect example of why aberdeen is such a backwater in terms of musical output; this toxic syzygy of ignorance about huge swathes of the genre spectrum, unjustified self-righteousness that comes from living in a provincial bubble and good old rural naivity has to be broken down.

This kind of attitude is a perfect example of why aberdeen is such a backwater in terms of musical output; this toxic syzygy of ignorance about huge swathes of the genre spectrum' date=' unjustified self-righteousness that comes from living in a provincial bubble and good old rural naivity has to be broken down.[/quote']

You're the most self righteous person on these boards, so shut yer face :D