aberdeen-music

Power Metal

Fraser Shredwards

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a very good offer indeed but i must mention power metal rule #99 from http://www.last.fm/user/db0/journal/2006/03/20/99542/

and i quote:

"99. Power metal must be pure; do not mix it with other metal styles"

though it is good to be original

oh and #2 of the sequel:

"If you do mix genres, power metal is still the dominant type. (e.g. blackened power metal) This is largely because power metal is infinitely more epic than the others styles, but also because empowered death metal just sounds stupid."

I like power metal and I can play keyboards to a not completley hopeless standard but also am extremely busy. If you prove yourselves to be mighty warriors of steel, I may be interested. I really should write my keyboard playing demo sometime.

p.s Ascension mp3s sound amazing and also don't contain the obvious mistakes I previously noticed. Have I become less observant or have they been corrected/changed? the Vocals at 4:40-ish could do with being re-done.

Also, Is there a way of hearing everwicked?

I think one guitar played well + keyboard + ocasional guitar overdub on recording works fine. Sometimes 2 guitars helps but usually are unecessary in the sort of power metal I am partiuclarly interested in. Iron Maiden have 3 guitars as they seem to have built up a collection of guitarists over the years and don't have much in the way of keyboards. Most of their riffs are harmonised between guitar so 3 guitar players makes sense.

Sonata Arctica and Statovarius are rather good at harmonising riffs between guitar and keyboard. I do enjoy harmonised guitars but I think it is slightly more interesting at the moment to harmonise between keyboard and guitar in the main riffs in songs.

3 guitar players + keyboard is plainly greedy though.