aberdeen-music

Newer than new baby!

Benji

Hey all,

So like over the last month my team has been working hard to bring forward a new community to Aberdeen.

It started with a pishy 1-2-free forum - which moved onto - PhPBB - and is now on an Invision board.

For the few that have already joined, ta, and I hope you like the new place. We intend to supply a currency on the board that can be spent in either - The Poker room, The Shops, Lottery, or used as bartering for stuff like sig's etc..

Not to forget the Red Unit Army - we need more members to get the Army Unit underway however, and that's why I'm here.

So, if you have a spare minute, please check out Aberdeen's fresh Community Website.

www.TheRedUnit.org/index.php

Thanks.

To be honest I don't see anything yo're doing that isn't already available elsewhere. Good luck with the site but to me you're not offering anything new whatsoever.

You just seem to have stuck a forum on the net and expected people to use it, without an actual focus to attract them there in the first place. And you have too many subcategories.

Peoples missconseptions that to be a succesful website you need to stand out from the crowd.... Research and marketting shows this to be untrue these days...The internet is big big place and to have something completly dfrent is a hard thing to do.

We have found that to become a good community all you need is the right attitude.

A lot of staff on a lot of websites forget that there members are the most immportant thing about there website not them being an admin.

Red unit has been up for 3 weeks and has a regualr member posting base of around 42 members (thats posting members not just idle sign ups.) ok ok we have a few idle signups lol

That invision board has been up not even 12hrs none of our add-ons/mods are added yet so maybe we will have something that's slightly dfrent from just a thrown upo invision board.

Anywho our website is for the people by the people we take requests for things you would like to see on the community based board..

Im not a musician i never have been but i come to this site EVERYDAY why? everything it has that makes it stand out i dont use and i dont need.I come here as its my local website where local people go. Now i appreciate there is an actual hate campaign regarding members who simply only use this boards wastelands forum and no other but mehhhhhh i come to this website for my own enjoyment not others..

I also visit atleast 2 other forum based boards every day and not one of them have anything seriously dfrent from the other....Being dfrent can be ok but it can get dull after a little while and can dwindle your member audience to a certain type

The sub caterogry issue is quite simply due to being transfered from phpbb to ipb .With phpbb you dont get a sub category option unless you install the mod ..And tbh editting php for mods is a frikkin nightmare ... Id be aswell writing my own php.and we all know that my grasp of our own eglish language sucks ...Never mind my php language skills

Thanks for your comments tho chris to see staff of one of our favourite website's give construcive critism is appreciated as its better than being ignored ;)

You can have the most functional, highly tuned forum software in the world on your web site but it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. Online forums live and die by the number of active members they have and if your web site doesn't attract them in the first place then it will just become stagnant and unused.

From what I can see, your forums don't offer anything that I can’t find on hundreds of other, more popular forums. But good luck anyway. It took this web site the best part of 5 years to get to this stage.

We have since added some entertainment to keep our members satisfied but again as you point out its getting the meber base not keeping them atm lol

Army mod so you can raise you army of humans, ogres ,ghosts (theres a selection) and compete against other members

We now have a new portal lol www.theredunit.org/index.php

We now have an arcade that members can compete in tournaments or simply compete for high scores

Thing is getting members and building a substancial member base to keep the site alive....

Hope you like the changes and all comments are more than welcome as every learning curve comes with other peoples experiences

Site Stats

949 Posts:

230 Topics

719 Replies

I feel that websites are like walls.

If you build the correct foundation the rest of it should be stable. It's all a matter of reliability, and trust within the team.

So far, as Jase pointed out, we are doing quite well with our post count, and member income - and it can only get better!

If we are able to keep on the track were on, Im sure within 5 years the webby will be as popular as this place..

:up:

If yr messageboard is doing so well' date=' why are you constantly spamming here about it?[/quote']

Cos, there's a few Aberdeen-music members already apart of the website.. and it's constantly being updated with new URL's etc.. so rather than PM them and let them know.. I do this.. to generate some interest.. to interesting people.

Present company excluded of course. :up:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Neubeatz

Sorry to say, but your site is both patronising and hypocritical, as much as you may try to deny it,

A complete thread I started was first edited, then deleted or whatever??? because of the use of the word "Fanny", yet this thread has been allowed to remain since as long as I can remember visiting your site.

Anyway, I just point this out for posterity,

Well I hope you sort out your priorities, all the best....:gringo: